2018 circuit FEELINGS thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DualistX, Jul 26, 2017.

1. DualistX

DualistX Member Editor

We all seem to be bursting with opinions, so share them here.

2. Tamtam

Tamtam Member

For more casual players like me, this circuit is pretty nice (doesn't require a huge amount of travel, can potentially qualify via locals, etc). For people aiming for day 2, it favors wallet warrioring or snowballing more than ever (lack of a Regs BFL doesn't seem like the best of ideas), which is less good.

Things I like: Regs and Special events having the same payout (should hopefully encourage more people to attend Special Events), updated prizing, new kickers

Things I'm torn on: lowered CP bar (I'd argue it's a bit too low for Europe, something like 350 or even what we have now would be ideal, but it's nice to see that most people feel they have a real shot at qualifying now, me included!)

Things I dislike: lack of a Regs/Internats BFL (though I think this won't be as bad as it seems on paper), MSS BFL being 8 (4 was fine), PC payout being lowered (might be bad for local scenes), EU internats on USUM launch weekend (lol)

3. Legacy

Legacy New Member

Pros:
    - Prizing
    -Dates announced for events
    -Dates for stipend cut off

Cons:
    - Day 1 Worlds Invite is free
    - Internationals BFL of 4
    - Regionals BFL unlimited
    - MSS BFL
    - PCs BFL
    - Day 2 Worlds Invite

Once again shooting for a Day 2 Worlds Invite is a mess. I recommend following Plan A for a relaxing season.

Plan A
    Step 1: Get FREE Day 1 Worlds Invite
    Step 2: Play through Day 1 Worlds to make Day 2
    Step 3: Top Cut Worlds by playing through Day 2 Worlds
    Step 4: Win Worlds ez

Plan B (not recommended)
    Step 1: Get FREE Day 1 Worlds Invite
    Step 2: Drop out of school/quit job to become a PROFESSIONAL Pokèmon Master :)
    Step 3: Get Day 2 Worlds invite and possibly get a name change to Wallet Warrior!
    Step 4:Top Cut Worlds by playing through Day 2 Worlds
    Step 5 Win Worlds ez

Anyway see everyone in Worlds 2018! (literally) :D

4. ck49

ck49 Member

Is there a summary of all the changes somewhere?

I want to have feelings too. Someone tell me how to feel.

5. IAmKennyJ

IAmKennyJ New Member

Bummed that there's no Seattle regional. At least there's still Portland and now Richmond nearby me.

Hoping that I get a Day 1 invite to Worlds next season, as I plan on making it my first season that I compete in the circuit seriously.

6. ck49

ck49 Member

Richmond is in Virginia... I don't think that's near Washington. Or at least the west coast Washington.

Vancouver is close by though, right?

edit:

I'm dumb - Virginia regionals is Roanoke and Richmond is also a place near Vancouver. Ignore me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. Hitmonqian

Hitmonqian Member

People talked enough about BFLs and European IC,I'll skip those.However, putting Oceania International Championships in Australia at Chinese New year? TPCI is going all in to kill the Asia circuit.

JeanMarc likes this.
  8. kingofmars

kingofmars Well-Known Member

Due to the caps, players with Day 2 hopes will need to go to an exhausting amount of events. And since the bar is so so so low considering the bfls, you don't want to play in Day 1 because you'll be competing with around 500 people. The regs bfl gave us some sort of safety net that the standings couldn't change that dramatically, since they'd have to wipe out a pretty good finish. Now you can just keep adding on and on and there's not much reason to go to as many as possible, which is unfortunate.
    Add to that that it's probably going to be needed to cap out or at least come close to that for Midseasons. 400 points is massive and pretty much every player in this years top 8 (I think all of us but don't quote me on that since I might be wrong) went to 4 midseasons to be competitive last year.
    What illustrates this best is let's say that as a player, you have no interest in going to locals because you're pretty busy. You also can't make foreign internats for whatever reason, let's say that you do well later on in the season so you don't have stipends. Top that off with an okay nationals performance, so we'll acredit 160 points. Every regional this player goes to they win. How many regionals would they have to go to to get a day 2 invite?
    Under the old system it was 4, which is imo too many (I like regional wins to be worth more tbh). Obviously no one's going to win 4 regionals, but it made it theoretically possible for some busy god to get a day 2 invite.
    Without the limits on bfls and the addition of Midseasons? I'd guess the bar to end up closer to 1200. This is imo pretty conservative, as you have 200 additional points to work with from midseasons and getting rid of caps encourages players to go to more events to go along with the already semi deleted cp.
    This would mean our hypothetical player would have to win SIX REGIONALS to get a day 2 invite if he refused to go to locals and couldn't make it to other internats. The increases in BFLS means you have to put in approximately 1.5 times as much work to get a day 2 invite.

Needless to say thaaats flipping bullshit, and I hate how many players make worlds for several reasons, it makes it impossible for spectators to come, adds massive amounts of variance to day 1 pairings (which is a big deal in a tournament with no resistance), and unfairly punishes players who did well but barely missed out on day 2. Right now Day 1 is an accomplishment, next year its a joke. And maybe its just a somewhat oldschool mentality, but imo Worlds is something you gotta work for and earn, its not something that should be handed out with little to no effort. If you aren't good at the game you shouldn't be in worlds.

Overall I think it's pretty clear that they did this entirely to increase attendance, which is cool! But there were ways to do it besides making the circuit completely unfun to compete in. I want a hobby not a job.

LasermanZ! and NightLight like this.
  9. Brantdman

Brantdman Member

Most of what was stated above with BFL's and the low bar I agree with, so I'm going to skip that part. One concern I do have is regarding London. Obviously, having the tournament on the release date of the games that the circuit will (most likely) be based on, is utterly ridiculous. Something else that bothers me is the requirements for stipends to London. Giving stipends to players that did well in last years season, creates another snowball and further pushes away newer players that want to obtain a day 2 invite. The only way to counter this, is to go to multiple regionals before Nov 30th and hope that the players with stipends do poorly. For the U.S, this is feasible, but expensive. For everyone else, you are basically forced to pay for a trip to London to try for day 2. I understand that TPCI wants to reward players for their previous season's accomplishments, however, I would feel more comfortable if this was based off of placing at Worlds.

LasermanZ! and Vratt like this.
  10. Vratt

Vratt New Member

Earlier this month I wrote to Organized Play of my dislike of the North America International Championship and unfairness of the "snowball" effect. Organized Play gave me this response on the subject:
    "Regarding flying players in for the event: a goal of each of the International Championships is to create international competition and strengthen the global community. The "snowball" effect that was observed with Championship Points this season is something that is being evaluated for the future."

After I received the response, I was glad to learn they were aware of the issue and hopeful that that they would do something in regards to the "snowball" effect. I am not surprised they didn't address in the new circuit but am disappointed.

Personally I'd like to see a return to just having nationals and the dropping the internationals championships or I think a best finish limit of 1 for international championships would make them fair.

As it appears we are stuck with the format for now, I agree with Brantdman and would like to see the travel awards for the first international championship go to the top finishers at Worlds. The players that did well last season already earned travel awards to Worlds. Why give them travel awards to the International Championship too? They should have to earn them competing at Worlds. It just seems right to have the World Champions at the first international championship of the circuit competing.

11. Amarillo

Amarillo Member

Going to attempt to go for a Day 2 invite from Exclusively going to Ohio MSSs and PCs

JeanMarc likes this.