Animé (incl. School Idol Hell)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by halcyon, Jan 27, 2017.

1. AsadaShinoSan

AsadaShinoSan New Member

How bad is it though? Does it suffer from the usual Jun Maeda syndrome

2. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

Expect your standard cutesy with fanservice DagaKobo slice of life.
    Demi-Chan is kinda hard to watch, because it's just a little bit pedo-y. There's very little fanservice, but the high schoolers are attracted to their 30 year old teacher. I can get through it at least because he's not attracted to them back, but if that changes, I'm gonna have to drop it.

Still, compared to Seiren, where the dialogue was so awful that I dropped it 8 minutes in, Demi-Chan is a lot better. The girls are cute and the dialogue is realistic enough, and the soundtrack and art style are good.
    I haven't been watching Rewrite because I think Jun Maeda is an awful writer, but I remember checking the reddit thread for s1 around episode 2 or 3 and all the Jun Maeda fans were really pissed at the adaptation and said it was awful. That was really jarring to me, because usually the reddit threads only have nice things to say, even about awful anime like Haifuri.

I'm really sad nobody else is watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It was the best anime of 2016 but it was really underappreciated, and now is a great time to catch up to it so you can livewatch the rest of season 2. I promise if you watch episode 1 of season 1 you won't be disappointed, it's one of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen.

3. Simon

Simon New Member

I don't really like the type of anime Gabriel Dropout is, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot so far.
    Iron Blooded Orphans is probably my favorite anime in a long time.
    Didn't really see anything else interesting this season and I probably won't have time to watch anyways.

4. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Member

I don't think Maeda Jun worked on the story for Rewrite. I think his work on Rewrite was mostly music related. The first season of the anime is parts of the common route plus an original anime only route. I'm not really sure who wrote the story for the anime only route.

The Rewrite anime isn't that popular. It rushes through the plot even during the anime only section that in theory was tailor made for an anime adaptation. I'm mostly watching it because I'm a Key fan and because I've read the VN and can fill in the details they are skipping. Season 2 is back to sticking the VN and is actually doing a much better job but I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

5. Hitmonqian

Hitmonqian Member

Wait are you going?

6. feathers

feathers nico nico nii Moderator

Yeah, It's still up in the air whether or not I'll fork out the cash to go to the actual Live since I missed out on the lottery, and I just applied for a live stream at a theatre in Ikebukuro... so anyway hopefully my tax return is nice. Otherwise I'll just mope around Yokohama and cry about Dia.

7. Hitmonqian

Hitmonqian Member

I‘ll be refreshing your tweet like crazy by then . Definitely want to pick up some awesome merchandise

8. feathers

Sure thing! My pinned tweet has all of the details for my pickups.

9. halcyon

halcyon Member

The merch lineup at the live will be insane. I wish you good fortune and luck, friend!

10. Stratos

Despite what I'd been saying, I just binged through the first four episodes of Seiren today. It was trash, absolutely awful, but I enjoyed it. The latest episode of Demi-chan was also pretty good and a lot better than the more harem-y episodes, so I hope the show keeps going in that direction.

As for backlog, I recently finished up Kill la Kill. When I first finished it my immediate reaction was that it was only OK, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Definitely worth watching if you haven't. [SPOILERS AHEAD] Things I didn't like about Kill la Kill:
    • The first fifteen episodes, up until Ryuko is brought into nudist beach, is way too dragged out. All the characters remain mostly shallow and uninteresting until this point, and the plot barely exists. They basically take 15 episodes to finish an exposition that could competently have been done in half the time or less.
    • Even for something silly, the world they built was so asinine that it was hard to feel invested. My standards aren't ridiculously high; in comparison, I was fine with TTGL's ridiculousness.
    But there are a lot of things to like about Kill la Kill.
    • THE SOUNDTRACK. I always said Madoka was the best anime soundtrack I knew of, and while that's probably still true, KLK's is up there. Personal favorites: Ambiguous, Before My Body is Dry, Satsuki's theme, and Blumenkranz. All of those songs made me go hnng every time they came on.
    • Trigger really had a way with iconography in this show. In particular, nothing in TTGL comes even close to being nearly as powerful as Ryuko pulling the pin out of her wristband while "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY" cuts in, which is really so fantastic. It's not easy to tie emotions so strongly to visuals like that, and KLK actually has multiple such examples.
    • Once the show moves into the second act, it gets pretty good, between the good fight scenes and the characters and their interactions actually being interesting now.
    • The final fight has a fantastic payoff, with the way the 23rd ED is cut, and how all the OPs and EDs come back for the last episode, the epic scale, and the way it both avoids deus ex machina yet you can feel the tension of the protags thinking they will lose until the last minute. By comparison TTGL's final fight was weak, between the way they break out of the dreamscape which has you scratching your head and the last fight, which while the ongoing dialogue was good, the actual battle was uninteresting.
    • They don't beat you over the head with Ryuko's character development like they do with Simon's in TTGL. Instead it's a lot more subtle, but equally as good or better. Ryuko struggles with accepting parts of herself, both in the obvious case that she's part life fiber, but also in accepting her emotions. She hides anything soft or vulnerable behind bravado and anger throughout the show. When her father dies, rather than be sad, she acts angry; when she learns that she has to save the world, rather than be overwhelmed or unsure, she acts angry; when she learns that she's made of life fibers, rather than be scared or sad, she acts angry. You can even see this in the scene where she has a nightmare about Senketsu: she wakes up upset, but when she realizes the teacher is watching, she quickly switches over to rude and angry. But at the very end does she come to an understanding and embrace all of her emotions, and cry for Senketsu and hug Satsuki and call her Onee-chan. I think Ryuko made a more interesting protagonist than Simon.

GreenGogoatttt and Nihal like this.
  11. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Kill la Kill is ok. It suffers from standard trigger overhype. It came out at a good time and gained a fanbase that worked at the time, I don't think it would be as well received if it came out today.

As for what I'm watching this season.

What I'd recommend:

Demi-Chan
    LWA
    Konosuba
    Gabriel Dropout
    Dragon Maid

Others I'm watching but wouldn't recommend:

Fuuka
    Seiren
    Masamune-kun no Revenge
    Akiba's Trip The Animation
    Urara Meirochou

12. feathers

So anyway being a school idol fan is suffering. This is what it looks like to apply to the Aqours first live and fail every time except one. I got tickets to the day 1 live viewing during the last possible lottery. x_x

I spent like $200 on blurays to apply to the first and second rounds and lost those, but go figure I win one that doesn't cost anything later.

[​IMG]

So anyway! I get to see Aqours almost live.

Hitmonqian, halcyon and Sam like this.
  13. halcyon

halcyon Member

I would go to the LV in Sydney if it wasn't so damn expensive to get there and to stay there for two nights. Woe is me. And I'll probably regret it later too.

Oh well, Japan in April/May!

14. Hitmonqian

Hitmonqian Member

Congrats man!

15. Mx0

Mx0 Member 2017 WCOP Champion

My top picks for this season , ( I watch some others but I would not fully recommend , I just watch them to kill idle time )
    - Demi-Chan wa Kataritai
    - Shouwa Rakugo S2
    - Youjo Senki ( Surprised no one has mentioned this , its pretty entertaining and definitely one of the most upvoted on reddit this season)
    - Kono-Suba S2
    - Kobayashi-san Chi wa Maid Dragon

Others I watch but not fully recommend
    - Fuuka
    - Seiren
    - Kuzu no Honkai

16. Stratos

I cannot believe Seiren is a real anime. I just can't. This is too absurd. I am both horrified and amused.

As for Youjo Senki, i might be watching it if it didn't look so awful, but like...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  17. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Anyone know where I can get a good quality version of Kimi no Wa/Your Name? LOr will I just need to wait for the North American release?

18. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Well it seems I killed the thread. :(

I'll try and restart it. Which anime this season are people most surprised/disappointed by?

19. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Unsurprised mostly, everything is meeting expectations. Am really enjoying Fuuka because it appears to be more realistic than others of its genre, despite still incorporating many tropes. Also helps that Fuuka herself keeps the energy high. Should mention Hand Shakers here because it's god-awful but I'm watching it because the dub is a so-bad-it's-good deal.

20. feathers

Less than a week until I return to JP!!!

I caved and paid 2x ticket price to get into a day 2 Live viewing. I won't lie, I listened to the new Guilty Kiss song preview and convinced myself I would regret it if they sing it on day 2 and I miss it. Also what if THRILLING ONE WAY is day 2 also, and I miss that??? Wallet is kill but I'm prepared now.

Anyone else gonna be around to hang in Tokyo??