Animé (incl. School Idol Hell)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by halcyon, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

oooh boy hand shakers lmao, i watched less than 30 seconds of it and got motion sickness at the first panning shot between the oversaturated colors and jerky camera. bar none the worst looking anime ive ever seen, so bad looking that it's worth watching a bit of it just to experience.

but yeah nothing's really surprised me so far, except maybe LWA for being worse than I expected. Rakugo is so good btw guys you should definitely watch it if you haven't/aren't

2. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

What's wrong with LWA in your opinion?

3. Stratos

in the OVA akko was a goof but she was mostly a loveable goof and diana was a stuck up bloke so you rooted for akko. in the show, diana is actually just a good student and decent human being and akko is no longer a loveable goof, she's a slacker, a cheat, and a hothead, and very difficult to like. Totally flipped the dynamic of the show on its head, and it's not too enjoyable to watch a show where the protag is the least likeable character. Hopefully Akko actually gets some character development to be less awful, but she hasn't really shown any signs of it until today's episode (where she still tries to cheat the exam and gets in dumb fights). Also, her seiyuu is really bad, but she has gotten a little better as the show progresses—go rewatch episode 2 and pay attention to how awful akko's voice acting is. Overall it's still not a bad show, but it definitely hasn't been living up to the OVA at all.

4. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Note: I haven't seen this weeks ep yet.

I think Akko needs to be a bit different and I disagree that she's been unlikable. They need her to grow as a character so having flawed character traits is something she will improve over the series, as shown at the end of last weeks ep. She was never my fav character in the OVA (Sucy best girl), but doesn't feel too different to other hot headed Trigger leads.

With a full season there will be more attention on the characters and we will get to know them more and analyze their traits, actions etc. She is annoying, sure, but I don't see how she's any more annoying than the OVAs. She was a slacker in the second OVA which is why they were put to work, even then she decided to do her own thing rather than what she was told.

It's certainly not my fav anime of the season, but it's one of the better ones imo.

5. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

6. Nazara

Nazara Member

So let me get this straight. This thread is about school anime only?

7. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

No it's about any anime.

8. Nazara

Nazara Member

Ah well, good, given I rarely watch school anime, or any Shonen in particular.

9. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

@Stratos Thoughts on LWA now? Last couple of eps have been great imo.

10. Stratos

They haven't been "great" but they've been better than the previous ones; akko now exists in more dimensions than the dimension of purely annoying.

11. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

I guess we just have different opinions then. :p

12. Stratos

So it's my spring break, and with an overabundance of better things to do I spent the last two days....watching SAO. All of season 1. Against my expectations and despite its many, many flaws, I actually unironically enjoyed it, or at least the SAO arc. Which is always a better feeling than ironically enjoying something. So I'll talk about the SAO arc first.

Everyone poochs on the characters, but honestly, I thought the characters in SAO were its strong point. Sure Kirito is brooding and edgy, but I don't think he's a mary sue. Brooding and edgy is just his character, and he's consistent with it, and the way he takes everything, even relaxing, so seriously honestly made me like him. If he were doing the same act but also constantly owning everyone with snappy one-liners that made him look so quick-witted and cool, then that would have made him a poochty mary sue, but he wasn't, and I liked Kirito. Asuna was a little worse for her tendency to flip back and forth between being badass and a damsel in distress at a moment's notice, but it didn't stop me from liking her either. My feeling is that she's actually normally domestic as flip but being stuck in SAO and desperately wanting to escape made her have to learn how to be tough, which explains pretty well how she acts. It just took me a few episodes to get used to it because the OP makes her look like some kind of femme fatale which she is not. I also liked the main supporting cast of Klein, Sachi, Agil, and Lisbeth. SAO's protagonists weren't deep or interesting but they were simple and likable which is all I ask for. It's better to have a simple and likable character than something that tries to be interesting and just ends up being poochty.

On the other hand the dude has no clue how to write villains. Every villain in SAO was laughably bad. I don't really want to dwell on this point, I mean, if you've watched it, you already know. Grimlock? Kuradeel? Sugou? The woman in the Silica episode? Only the guy who made SAO whose name escapes me wasn't laughable and he was bad too, just not hilariously so.

What hurt SAO was that it just had sooooo many awful plot points. Kirito's life was shaken when he realized his aunt and uncle were raising him? What a dumb backstory. The Yui part, in its entirety? Ridiculous. "The Dual Wield skill shows up in the inventory of the person with the highest reaction times in SAO." Yeah okay boss. Asuna breaking game mechanics in the final fight through sheer power of will?

Another fault with SAO was that A1's adaptation had a lot of pretty bad fight scenes, and only a few good ones. And I'm pinning this on A1 because I mean that the animation did a very poor job of conveying the actual flow of the fight. The biggest offender was the fight against the 74th floor boss, which looked like an easy rout for Kirito but when the fight is over it shows his HP bar and apparently he was almost dead. Another one was the final fight with Heathcliff. I figured out that Kirito managed to kill Heathcliff in the 10 second delay before Asuna got zapped (having watched the finale of Stardust Crusaders, I'm no stranger to Witch Time in anime) but I had to have my friend who read the LNs explain to me that Kirito didn't actually die and come back, that was just a vision of what he was afraid of. The 75th floor boss had a good fight at least (despite the very awkward CG).

But still, the premise had a lot of potential, and at points it shone through. The main example of this being of course when Kirito's guild dies, but another scene I liked was when Kirito is talking with the fisherman who wonders if he even has his job in the real world anymore. The world of SAO did feel like a real threat and because you do like the characters, you want to see them overcome it. And all of those stupid plot points, while still stupid, felt like they had real heart behind them. Being fully aware even while it happened that half of what was happening on my screen was extremely stupid, I enjoyed SAO's first arc anyways.

And then there was Alfheim. Oh man it's a crying shame when writers don't know when to call it. Asuna should have woken up with Kazuto and that should have been the end of that. Since all my focus was on saving Asuna, the new characters in Alfheim just felt like obstacles between me and her, so I could not have cared less about any of them (except thicc imouto, about whom I cared at least a little). It didn't help that the entire supporting cast was replaced, although it made sense for them to be, cuz I sure as hell wouldn't be hopping back into my NerveGear after that pooch. The whole reason I was watching SAO was I cared about the characters, and by taking them away, Alfheim felt like a poochty grind I was forced to suffer through so that I could get what I wanted in the first place. The world of Alfheim was a lot less fleshed out than the world of SAO—which, to be fair, makes sense. But there are so few characters with any speaking lines and it all just felt barren and flimsy, like even the author knew Alfheim was just getting in your way, and he didn't want to waste too much of your time. I could almost respect that as his intention—unlike in SAO, Kirito was in a huge rush and didn't have time to smell the roses—except that there are moments where he does waste precious time, and the fact that the Alfheim characters reappear in the epilogue shows he clearly thought you were going to give a pooch about them. The fights in Alfheim were also just abysmal (and that's a low bar to hit because the fights in SAO weren't great), partly because of the lack of the life-and-death aspect but also partly because they just sucked. The best part of Alfheim was seeing Kazuto try to sheathe his kendo sword. The worst part of Alfheim was, well, I'm going to write a whole paragraph about it because it's that bad.

The part is when the Salamanders ambush Kirito and Leafa, and Leafa says "flip this, let's just die and go back," but then Kirito has an SAO flashback and says "nobody's dying on my watch." Which is fine, that was consistent with his character, and then he uses illusion magic to become the 74th floor boss and owns the Salamander guys. What sucked is after the fight when he's talking with Leafa and lightheartedly saying they tasted like beef or whatever. Kirito is supposed to be a serious and sober guy and that was just....way out of character, and it gave me whiplash and upset me. Remember what I said way up there about what would make Kirito a mary sue? Fortunately he didn't do it a whole lot, so I could still mostly like Kirito and be happy for him at the end.

Something the show did right was give us a full epilogue, but all of the epilogue after the scene at school sucked, so that was a downer.

If you read all this: why. but thanks. In conclusion, tfw you will never have a super hot imouto who wants your D

13. Nazara

Nazara Member

SAO was good... in the first arc. Then it went downhill, fast. Second season came and the Phantom Bullet arc was decent if not enjoyable, but they decided to bring back the fairies. Kinda like Pokemon. :p

14. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Haven't seen SAO, it's on my list of things to watch but so are about 50 other series.

Second season of Boku no Hero Academia airs in 5 days. Can't wait. :)

15. Stratos

If you at all like romance, watch Tsuki ga Kirei! This show is shaping up to be one of my all-time favorites. I seriously can't recommend it highly enough.

GreenGogoatttt likes this.
  16. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

The SAO light novels are actually pretty cool. At least the previous arc. The Alicization arc (about 9 Light Novels) was really enjoyable to read. I'd actually be pretty keen to see them animate it, but I don't that will happen simply due to how long the anime will take. They'd have to make 2 entire seasons to cover it.
    For perspective :
    SAO = Novels 1 + 2
    ALO = Novels 3-4
    GGO = Novels 6-7
    Mothers Rosario = Novel 8 (iirc)
    If memory serves me correctly, Alicization arc is novels 10-18.

Anyway, Shingeki S2 D:

17. Nazara

Nazara Member

Didn't they already animate the Mother's Rosario arc? That's the one with the girl suffering from AIDS, right?

18. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

Yeah they did. After Mother's Rosario is the big arc though.

19. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Yeh I'm loving it. :) The art style is really nice aswell.

20. halcyon

halcyon Member

So that Kemono Friends eh?