Best Tapu Lele set to compliment Torkoal Oranguru Lilligant

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Ace Trainer Andrew, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

Hello! I was just wondering what sets people like on Lele alongside a Sunflower core. I have been running Scarf on another team, but that is bad with Oranguru. I could just use it out of Trick Room, but... I have been using max HP, but that makes Arcanine a problem, since it OHKOs in sun. Any ideas? I'm looking for EVs, items, moves, etc.

2. welliforgot

welliforgot Member

Sometimes, it's just a matter of timing. You say Arcanine OHKOs in sun? Don't lead with torkoal even if you plan on doing a tr setup.

As for a set on Lele, currently I've been sticking with lifeorb on my lele to get some crucial ohkos on Arcanines and marowak, both which resists torkoal effectively enough. It also helps ohko Drampa with a moonblast and 2hkos celesteela with a thunderbolt. But I've found myself changing Lele's set constantly as the meta shifts. I've experimented with both choice scarf, twisted spoon, life orb, and also tried both timid and modest natures. Sadly every single set has some big ups and downs based on both the meta and the match-ups. For your team tho, I can imagine a defensive ev spread (max hp) with an offensive item (lifeorb, twisted spoon, or z-crystal) definitely working out the best. Psychic, moonblast, and protect should be standard, with the 4th helping to cover anything the rest of your team struggles with. What is the rest of your team right now anyway? That should also matter a lot in deciding Lele's set.

3. Tamtam

Tamtam Member

I think I'd actually go Scarf even with a TR setter. The Scarf can help in getting TR up in the first place, and lets you take care of some mons which are hard for Torkoal or Oranguru to deal with on their own, such as, say, Garchomp. You will want a separate answer for Arcanine on a LilliKoal team, but Scarf Lele can deal a very good amount of damage with Psychic in Terrain, so it should help that match-up slightly.

4. welliforgot

welliforgot Member

I used to run scarf Lele for a good while and one of the biggest disadvantages was that so many targets like Arcanine and Marowak were capable of surviving the terrain boosted psychics. Also any assault vest chomps (although much rarer these days) or even an assault vest Hariyama were constantly taking hits and hitting back as well. There were many frustrating losses attributed to "just barely not enough damage." Really the main target that the scarf helps Lele outspeed is the Garchomp, but Lilligant is a good answer to Garchomp in general with hidden power ice or Grassium z against it. You can also even try hidden power ice on torkoal as a devastating hidden tech against garchomp in tr. I always thought Lele should be focusing on being more effective on the bulky fire types and dragon types that are effective like Arcanine and Goodra which she can either tie or be naturally faster than.

But hey, the meta can easily shift again and I could be right one week and wrong the next. For example if Nihilego becomes much more common, then the scarf could be very effective yet again. Until then, I'm personally sticking with life orb or another damage item myself. (even considering experimenting with specs)