Everything in the VGC 2017 Metagame that can OHKO Celesteela

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pinky, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pinky

Pinky Member

I posted this on Reddit a while ago, and it didn't exactly get much traffic, so I figure that it would be ok to just copy and paste that post here:

"As most people who have played VGC this year have noticed, Celesteela is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the entire metagame. As many have hard times dealing with this Pokemon, I decided to run every legal Pokemon through damage calcs in order to figure out everything that can OHKO max hp Celesteela with max defenses and a positive defensive nature for whichever type of attack I'm calculating against it. My results can be found here. To view this information properly, copy/paste everything from the pastebin into the backup/restore section of Pokemon Showdown's team builder. These calcs don't take into account boosting moves, such as dragon dance or nasty plot, nor do they take the ability analytic from Porygon Z or Starmie into account. Obviously, if they were taken into account, a lot of stuff would KO mons a lot earlier. I also nicknamed a Pokemon to note whenever the move it's using is boosted by either weather or by electric terrain, as well as giving a pokemon HP EVs to signify the percentage with which the weakest move provided in a set will OHKO Celesteela. If no HP EVs are provided, then it's a guaranteed OHKO, and if the attacking ev provided is less than maximum, then that means that those are the minimum evs required to OHKO. Hopefully this gives some people an easier time accounting for Celesteela when team building. Happy testing."

EscapePlan, voodoo pimp and yoonkim like this.
  2. Authent1k

Authent1k New Member

Nice that you put this together. It's just, from personal experience I've seen Celesteela a lot less in recent weeks, since it doesn't do particularly well agaisnt AFK. Of course, I have counters to it, but I wouldn't say having something on my team that OHKO's Celesteela to be the no. 1 priority.

Of course, that's just my opinion :p

Nick_SSB likes this.
  3. yoonkim

yoonkim New Member

As a new player trying to get into VGC, losing many games in a row to teams with a Celesteela became frustrating quite fast. Thank you for this!

Pinky likes this.
  4. Xeos

Xeos New Member

Thank you pinky for this great tool.

5. Mindape

Mindape Active Member

See, I'd think with its bulk, typing and movepool Celesteela should ok against afk with the right set - provided you have a few ways to threaten Arcanine.

I'd say it's declining use in recent weeks is mostly due to people having used it too passively, in which case there are many other mons that can replace it in a team and offer more utility outside of just sitting there chipping at things.

BaileyGoodstuffs likes this.
  6. Gentlefish

Gentlefish Member

Yeah, losing a Kartana vs. Celesteela 1v1 because the Celesteela had Flame Charge was kind of a lightbulb moment for me. Definitely going to be trying offense Celesteela now.

BaileyGoodstuffs likes this.
  7. Pyritie

Pyritie Member

Z-Earthquake is pretty hilarious as well

8. AurorusiteVGC

AurorusiteVGC Member

Metagross is even more hilarous for that as it has more Atk and cant get Intimidated due to Clear Body, though it doesnt really have options to beat Kartana so yea

9. Mindape

Mindape Active Member

Hammer Arm/Brick Break do fine against Kartana, who likely won't be able to 2hko back without both Night Slash and a beast boost.

10. AurorusiteVGC

AurorusiteVGC Member

Yeah, but it doesnt really have moveslot to fit those in if it runs Groundium-Z like i already mentioned. It really wants STABs + EQ + Protect (without AV / CB it needs it IMO)

11. Milhau5

Milhau5 Member

Under Electric Terrain, LO Tapu Koko can OHKO certain sets with Thunderbolt. I played someone in a friendly this weekend and his Steela went down in one shot, said it was a "specially defensive set". Also had it happen a couple times on Showdown. I'd say that would be your best bet.