Fire Emblem Topic

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by R Inanimate, Jan 28, 2017.

1. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Well-Known Member

Because I'm sure there will be a few people who are bound to play the new FE Mobile game, and want to discuss characters, people's tastes in characters, and gacha induced suffering.

I guess we can also talk about the other older games, since I do know some people are playing/replaying through some of them as of late.

Play Thracia 776

2. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

The game's not even out yet and gacha induced suffering has already started with the Heroes voting. I'd already given up on all my other favorites but I definitely thought I would find Caeda in the top 20 female characters. Being Marth's literal wife and the terror of the skies with the Wing Spear apparently counts for nothing these days :(

3. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

Almost didn't see that last line in white haha. Is there any way to get the game in English? (ROM patch I'd assume)

4. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Darn, Randy beat me to it. I knew I should have posted it last night when I had the chance!
    I'm ready to suffer at the hands of gacha.
    Currently doing a FE8 Hard Lute-Only run. This will be streamed every Friday until I complete it.
    I'll play Thracia when I can actually get the funds to acquire it >_> dude is expensive as all three Fates routes and more potentially. Maybe I'll just hold out for a remake?

sry_Im_new likes this.
  5. R Inanimate

Well, I'd assume getting a legit copy of FE5 being difficult might also be due to just how late in the SNES's life it was released. I honestly can't think of any other notable SNES games that were released as late as 1999. I can't even remember if there was ever a full proper english patch for the game (though I know that you can find a translated script of the game's text out there). I only ever played it straight up in Japanese way back when I don't think I could even read and recognize Katakana properly. Maybe I should just stop telling other people to play through it and suffer, and just replay through it myself. But hey, if FE Gaidan can get a surprise remake, why not Geneology of the Holy War and Thracia 776?

6. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Member

The only way to play Thracia 776 in English is to use a translation patch. I don't know how good the patch is since it didn't exist the last time I tried to play the game. You also need a translation patch if you want to play FE1-FE6 or FE12 (FE1 is the original FE11. FE12 is a FE3 remake). You can download the patches here:
    https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/6-translation-patches/

There's also a more more up to date FE4 patch that's not listed in that topic here:
    http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21199.0.html

R Inanimate likes this.
  7. Stratos

I've never attempted to play it, but from what I've heard, Thracia's translation patch is the only one that isn't fully functional. Apparently it has issues such as menus and some game dialogue being untranslated and might even crash at some points? Which is unfortunate, because I'd really like to play the Jugdral games but I'm going to wait until Thracia has a better translation patch or my Japanese is good enough to play it in the native language.

Also was it really released in 1999? That's absolutely bonkers. That's 3 years after the N64 was released!

8. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

My Japanese was good enough to play FE4 at least one straight playthrough. then the SNES I was using broke and now I can't play it until I get my hands on a new SNES. :(
    The only Fire Emblem I've emulated is FE6. I used an English patch b/c why not I'm already playing it on an emulator.
    I briefly considered getting Fates early along with a Japanese 3DS. Thank gods I didn't cuz that would've been a big waste of money.

shameless plug, I'm planning to stream some Lute-only run tonight probably. Tomorrow night maybe as well.

9. Stratos

Figures that the first character you meet in Microtransaction Emblem is Awakening Anna. I bet it doesn't actually cost anything to summon and she's just scamming you and pocketing the difference.

Also wonder what twisted executive laughed at the proposal of removing all luck from the combat system, only to add it back in gacha rolls

10. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

First impressions of FE Heroes:
    Simple, basic, and effective interface. The stamina system is pretty balanced, as I feel like I can play for a while before running out and then having to find something else to do. Character selection seems limited to 1/3/6/7/13/14 right now, but probably gets expanded down the line to include 2/4/5/8/9/10. Gacha luck has been fairly average for me, my best pulls so far have been 4 stars of characters I like (mostly Binding Blade characters, I did pull like 3x three-star Gwendolyn tho >_>). Skills system is well-packaged and weapon triangle advantage being more important to this game kinda tells me that grey units will be the most valued (no innate weakness to other weapon types). All in all, I'm enjoying myself and will probably play this forever.

11. R Inanimate

Pretty fun game so far. Normal is a joke in terms of difficulty, but honestly Normal is pretty much a joke in terms of difficult in most recent FE game anyways, so I don't really mind that.

Did rerolls and settled on 5* Robin + 4* Camilla roll... but then got thrown into Limbo, so I went back into the Orb Mines, and rolled and got 5* Tiki and 5* Elise, and binded the account to a Nintendo ID so it wouldn't get thrown into the Shadow Realm again.

Normal Difficult Story chapter, as said, are pretty easy, so I've bench Tiki, and some of my higher level, and have mostly been going through story chapter with a Sophia who I got from the daily challenge map, Elise who's my healbot, and Marth and Fir that I got from my 2nd 20 Orb roll.

Having a solid healer is nice, because it lets me go and challenge some maps while being a good deal underlevelled. Was able to comfortably take on the Hard Mode Sophia challenge at around L11-12 instead of the prescribed L15.

12. Stratos

yo friends give you freebies so add me at 2407591788

13. Stratos

How do you guys feel about RNG rigging in casual runs? Rigging FE games is really easy to do—usually you just end a level with >90 EXP and reset the start of the next level until you get the RNG you want. In Path of Radiance you can also soft reset BEXP very easily (and Radiant Dawn but BEXP is heavily nerfed in that game). It's always the same story for me: I tell myself I'm not going to do any rigging this time, and then a unit I like gets stat screwed or I go through a level getting nothing but bad level ups and I break my promise to myself. Currently playing through FE6 (which the GBA FEs are notoriously easy to rig because of their deterministic RNG) and I wasn't gonna rig and then Shanna got no STR level ups so I rigged her four STR gains, which was the impetus for this post. I don't think there's anything wrong with rigging, it's a single player game and I can play it how I want, but I always regret it because I end up trivializing the game for myself which reduces the fun overall. Tellius's "fixed" mode is great because it means you never have to rig to get the growths you expect, but it takes away from the "every run is a unique experience" aspect and reduces replayability a bit (though Tellius has maybe the largest cast of actually good characters in any FE game so it's fine). But honestly I prefer how Lunatic Conquest assigns all level ups when the unit joins your team, which takes the option away from me but leaves the randomness. FE Heroes works on the same mechanism, so maybe this will be how all future games in the series will be like.

14. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

I prefer preset levels when the character joins, it makes the game feel a bit more manageable every run as opposed to completely random. I don't usually do rigging in any other games other than Sacred Stones, since that has grinding off-campaign (Awakening does too, but if I'm playing Lunatic+ I'm usually avoiding all the skirmish stuff in the first place).

15. Nazara

Nazara Member

I've never heard of this "Fire Emblem".

16. momoVGC

momoVGC Member

The only reason I like RNG in FE over set character levels/growth is that it gives objectively terrible characters (on stats/growth) a chance to outshine the objectively better characters. Having a God-Mist or an uber-Jagen is both hilarious and nourishing for the soul. Which makes up for all the soul flaying that occurs when playing Lunatic/Maniac mode.

17. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

Playing a modded FE 8 rn, Lute Emblem : The Sacred Lutes.
    Really enjoying the old games rn, and uh, yeah lute is pretty cool.

Edit : Link for anyone that wants to play it.

18. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Is it just Lute for every character? Sounds like a good game.

19. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

@JHufself No actually, which is what I originally thought it might be haha.
    The starting Lord is Lute instead of Eirika, and there's a variety of characters from previous games also in it.
    Eg. Eirika + Seth is now Lute + Hector. The early journeyman (Ross) and Fighter (Dorcas) have now become Roy + Eliwood.
    Ephraim's role is now taken over by Hugh and so on. Character replacements have been really cool.

20. Nihal

Nihal Well-Known Member

New Fire Emblem game coming out soon. FE Echoes : Shadows of Valentia.
    What are people's first impressions (from the trailers, previous game, etc)?