How to deal with Snorlax?

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Ace Trainer Andrew, May 1, 2017.

1. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

Hey, all! I was just playing in the IC (reached 1700s for the first time in a tournament, and am really happy about it), but I was having a lot of trouble with Snorlax. I was just wondering what people typically run against it, or what kinds of play are helpful for working around it. I gave my Mudsdale Fightinium-Z Close Combat, but that doesn't always work out, especially around CurseLax. My team members and items are below for reference.
    Tapu Lele @Choice Scarf
    Nihilego @Focus Sash
    Mudsdale @Fightinium-Z
    Lilligant @Grassium-Z
    Torkoal @Charcoal
    Oranguru @Mental Herb

2. jesuisVGC

jesuisVGC New Member

Congratulations on reaching 1700s. I haven't gone that far but IC was the only online comp where I'm happy about my performances too (both this April and the last IC).

As for countering lax, easier said than done I think. The first move that comes into mind is Taunt as it relies on setting up, however it becomes more difficult had the opponent summoned a Trick Room already. Having an intimidate user at the back helps while you get a Taunt up. Others go for a risky call of using Dragon Dance/ Swords Dance on Gyarados/ Chomp respectively and try to aim for a knockout without propping its berry. For me, the only one that I've tried was Wisp bulky arcanine and P2 against a lone Curselax. Knock off users like Hariyama and Alola-Muk work in removing its berry too, allowing you to bypass recycle shenanigans.

I think Toxic P2 should work if you catch it off guard early. Otherwise if it has accumulated several attack boosts and you don't have intimidate/ wisp with or without knock off, it's going to have to rely on crits/ flinches for this one.

Good luck.

3. Nazara

Nazara Member

Either A) Don't let Trick Room happen, or B) Use Phermosa/Buzzwole/Hariyama to OHKO the fat horse. You can also attempt to Roar it away after it attempts to set up or Knocking Off its berry.

4. Rinhos

Rinhos New Member

In my opinion, the real weakness of Snorlax is his lack of Defense.
    My way to deal with him is Psyshock on Lele. Psyshock is actually my way to deal with a lot of stuff. I personally think it's the most underrated move in the whole meta.
    I would also take advantage of Sleep Powdering him. Snorlax doesn't like to sleep (ironically).

also, if you smell that Trick Room is going up, don't ever let the opponent get a free switch in with Lax, even if you KO a Mon in return. Every stalled turn of TR with a Snorlax in the back is crucial.

5. chilebowl

chilebowl New Member

Not much hard counters lax, especially after it sets up a belly drum/multiple curses. However, there are quite a few ways to check it.

Like mentioned above Roar and Taunt are good ways of dealing with it. Also, knocking off is a good way of preventing it from staying on the field for too long and strong fighting moves are good to get rid of it quickly before it can do damage. Another solution is utilizing the Curse variants of Gigalith and Snorlax itself, which generally have a decent matchup against the belly drum variant, as long as you get the curses going before the belly drum goes off.

When going up against the curse variant you honestly just need to roar/taunt it or hit it really hard by doubling up into it or hitting it with super effective damage in order to prevent it from setting up in the first place. Foul play also is a great way to deal with both variants as it uses its physical prowess against itself.

Lax can definitely be annoying to deal with after it gets set up but if you have the right checks for it, you should be fine as long as you recognize what you need to do to get rid of it.

6. Eviltwin

Eviltwin New Member

I 1HKO one with a gunk-shot from an adamant Alolan Muk. Is it normal, or did i stumble against a non-perfect IV one ?

7. Mindape

Mindape Active Member

Generally you'll want to have a few ways to beat snorlax on your team, since the tr belly drum set is terrifying, and the curse recycle set can also get hard to stop when it gets going.

Strong fighting moves are a good first solution. You need to manage your resources and board position to make sure you can actually use them though. Residual damage and doubling up in to the slot also helps wear down snorlax since there are limits to its recovery powers, especially vs toxic, leech seed+burn, or stuff that's doing well in excess of 50% damage each turn.

Kartana in general does decently 1v1 since it has access to a move that ignores stat boosts in sacred sword, and good defense and typing for the snorlax matchup.

Taunt and intimidate both limit snorlax's ability to put out damage and set up. Haze is also a great tech that gets around snorlax set up. Taunt has the added bonus of helping stop trick room setups to some extent. Roar is another cool tech that both disrupts lax and trick room. It only delays you having to deal with those, though, so make use of the time Roar earns you.

Knock off and bug bite are also great options to prevent snorlax using its berry, and make snorlax a lot less threatening due to its reduced staging power (heal pulse allies aside).

Tl;Dr there are lots of resources for improving your snorlax matchup, so put a few on your team and plan their use appropriately during battles.

8. Milhau5

Milhau5 Member

Everyone mentioned the best (and most obvious) ways, so I'm going to throw out a less obvious one: Clear Smog. Gastrodon gets that move, not sure what other VCG17-legal Pokemon do. It will basically reset all his stats and allow teammates to deal with him. I wouldn't generally recommend Gastro but if you find a space for him on a team and think it would work, go for it.

9. Pudgeysaurus

Pudgeysaurus New Member

This is actually quite clever.

10. Czechmate

Czechmate Member

I'll go ahead and mention perish song as another way to check lax. It's not as helpful in a 2v1 or 2v2 scenario since lax is so slow it'll likely be the last to faint, but anything that puts a timer on lax is useful. Since it excels at winning battles of attrition, if you can't OHKO it it's nice to put pressure on it somehow. I'm not advocating perish as a primary method but it can be useful.

11. evanempanada

evanempanada New Member

Another more gimmicky kinda way to get past Snorlax is to catch it in setup with Encore. This might be troublesome if dealing with a stockpile set or a physical ally against a curse Lax. My way around these difficulties is in Whimsicott, which has a whole set of gimmicky moves that really make it a great support against trick room as well as most Snorlax sets.

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
    Ability: Prankster
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Fake Tears
    - Switcheroo
    - Encore
    - Tailwind

What you could do with this is encore one of its set up moves, or just go straight for damage. That can be easily done through fake tears and a special ally because you can immediately increase your damage output. Also, if you fear the berry and recycle, switcheroo the lagging tail onto Lax and you also force it to move last even in Trick Room, and take away its only means of recovery.
    In most of the battles I get into against a Snorlax I'm able to get through with this set. A sort of unusual set that isn't always expected and stops Lax from doing all the things you don't want it to do.

Kinda gimmicky, but it works :p just watch out for Lele

MoliciousVGC likes this.
  12. ZeManaphy

ZeManaphy New Member

Mismagius and Drifblim will wall the standard set of Return and High Horse power.