I want to address my lack of local tourneys

Discussion in 'North America' started by Lobster Rolls, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Lobster Rolls

Lobster Rolls Member

Hey guys,
    I'm relatively new to VGC, I've been paying attention to it for the past few years, and just started playing in some showdown tourneys this year. I'm from the east coast of Canada, and there's really no events I can go to without driving about 12 hours to Montreal at least, so I was looking for advice on what steps I could take to get a couple tourneys going on the East Coast for the next season (Either in Halifax or Fredericton, probably). Do I talk to the Pokemon Company about it? Just looking for any suggestions on where to start.

2. Archimom

Archimom New Member

In order to get local tournaments, you will need a Tournament Organizer and VGC judge, who has their credentials through the Professor program. So, you'll need someone to agree to go through the approval process to run tournaments. If you have any local TCG events, you might be able to convince that person to get the VGC Judge approval to run VGC events, too. However, TPCi (The Pokemon Company International) is running several months behind in approving new Professors, so it might take a while. If you can find someone who is interested, the information is all on Pokemon.com. The application form requires a test, but it is open book (the resources are all online). And no, you may not run the tournament, and also compete in it!

Lobster Rolls likes this.
  3. CowFan

CowFan New Member

Premier Challenges don't actually require a judge, just a Tournament Organizer. On the contrary, I've found that a lot of TCG TOs who aren't involved in the larger tournament scene actively reject judges in the hope of just getting one more player.

4. Archimom

Archimom New Member

That may be technically true - simply meaning that the TO can also act as the judge. I am disappointed to hear that some TOs reject the use of judges!

5. homeofmew

homeofmew New Member

one of my Midseason events was 70+ people.
    I kinda have to use judges.

6. Archimom

Archimom New Member

Well, he did say that was for Premier Challenges, not MSS. I'm guessing that these events had less than 20 people, and maybe closer to 12?

At the largest MSS I helped out at, there were I think 87 competitors, 4 or 5 judges, the TO, 4 parent volunteers, and 2 people running stream, iirc.