Korean National Prelims 1st place team report

Discussion in 'Articles' started by RoosterShuttle, Jan 30, 2017.

1. RoosterShuttle

RoosterShuttle Member

Hello, I'm Min (or sometimes go by Leo), and I've played VGC for a while now, but I haven't attended many tournaments since I had to move back and forth between the United States and Korea on a regular basis. For good measure, this is my twitter: @leolim72

Most of you are probably familiar with this article: http://www.trainertower.com/sejuns-tapu-fini-porygon-z-team/ (This is not actually sejun's team its @shochan_Poke's team)
    This was Sejun's team report from the 1st part of Korea's Nationals.

Sejun came as the runner-up at the tournament, and I beat Sejun in the finals and took home the trophy.

I had just came back from the United States the day before the tournament, right after finishing my final exams. I decided to dedicate that entire day to building a team that I could use at this tournament. I wanted to use a Full-Trick Room team for the tournament, but a lot of factors made TR teams very unpopular:
    1. A lot of the 7th gen mons are very slow, making mirror matches relatively common
    2. The common Trick Room users (barring Porygon2) are mediocre at best
    3. The metagame at that point evolved many ways to prevent TR from being set up
    4. It doesn't look as cool as other teams

I decided to make a Full TR team that would negate these drawbacks. And this is what I came up with.
    Torkoal, gigalith, oranguru, porygon2, snorlax, whimsicott

With this team, I went 10-0 in swiss rounds, until I heard Sejun saying that the top cut would be 10-x. So I decided to forfeit my next two matches on turn 1, making my overall record 10-2.
    In top cut, I went 2-1 during my top 8 match against 두까비 (@ryuujd3), due to an unfortunate flareblitz burn on snorlax. I went 2-0 in my top 4 match against Suica (@jg1zzang), and went 2-0 in the finals against Sejun. So my overall record was 16-3 (but really 16-1).
    [​IMG]

Here are the details for my team

[​IMG]
    Torkoal @ Charcoal
    Ability: Drought
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Eruption
    - Heat Wave
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect
    -> Torkoal was originally my main TR sweeper. It was slow, hits hard, and wins all weather wars. But as time progressed, its role quickly diminished into simply being a celesteela killer. If my opponent had a celesteela on their team, I would always bring torkoal, but unless the opponen's was overwhelmingly weak to torkoal, I didn't bring it.
    You may have noticed that this torkoal has three fire type moves. While some people may like to run solarbeam, I thought that its extremely underwhelming damage output, and the frequent weather wars would make this a very dangerous choice. Also, having both flamethrower and heatwave made dealing with a late-game wide guard celesteela very comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    Gigalith @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Wide Guard
    - Heavy Slam
    -> Gigalith was the "Tank" of the team. With the sand up, its special defenses rise as high as its physical defense making it extremely hard to take down. Gigalith was put on my team to make TR mirror matches favorable. Opposing torkoals could not leave any dents on my gigalith once the sand was up.
    It should be noted that gigalith has an extremely favorable match up against all weather setters(except for politoed which is unpopular). Ninetales, pelliper, torkoal, and vanilluxe are weak to rockslides and generally cannot touch gigalith. Pelliper, while being able to hit gigalith with a scald, can only do 50~61%. This easily activates my weakness policy and at that point, its GG.
    [​IMG]
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Tri Attack
    - Recover
    - Trick Room
    -> Unlike the other TR users on this team, porygon was an offensive TR user. As far as I remember, porygon's ice beam killed more kartanas than torkoal did. For the EV spreads, I honestly have no idea what it does, but it was extremely bulky on both defenses and survived a hydro-vortex and a scald from double duck. Recover was often used on the last turn of Trick Room when the opponent was likely to double protect, to ease up setting a second TR the next turn. Its role as a TR user was to survive through double targets and set up TR.
    [​IMG]
    Oranguru @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Protect
    - Instruct
    - Psychic (Supposed to be energy ball)
    -> Standard oranguru. To give you guys an honest opinion, I don't think oranguru is very good. Instruct may be a very powerful move, but everything else is underwhelming. It has okay defenses, but are nowhere close to porygon2's level. Its base speed (60) may be slow but a big portion of the metagame is in the 60-or-under range. Basically, its role was to set up TR through a taunt and/or support snorlax which I will be explaining next. Also, I changed psychic into energy ball on the bullet train to Busan to improve my gastrodon matchup, but I forgot to save so it remained as psychic.
    [​IMG]
    Snorlax @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    Happiness: 0
    EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Belly Drum
    - Protect
    - Frustration
    - Earthquake
    -> The real MVP of the team. Although people are now well aware of the figy-drumlax, this was a very new thing at the time of the tournament, which eventually led to my success. I brought snorlax to 90% of my matches and did its job a 100% of the time.
    Unlike other snorlaxes who tend to opt for High horsepower, I chose Earthquake. Paired with Oranguru, earthquake KOs most of the metagame, if not all of it. More importantly, it would surprise KO marowaks that would come in to take a frustration. As a testament to that I caught so many marowaks during this tournament. Also it would KO opposing gigaliths which would be a pain in the ass otherwise.
    For the EV spreads, I made sure that the HP value would be even to activate the figy berry after a bellydrum. After that, I invested everything into defense, including nature. I thought that my attack stat would be high enough anyways after a bellydrum. And snorlax's nonboosted offensive output is pitiful even if you went max adamant max attack, so even more of a reason to go max defense. Most important of all, you cannot bellydrum if you are dead
    Anyways, after the defense boosts, snorlax's bulk is out of this world. It is higher than that of gigalith and is even higher than porygon2's if you take the figy berry into consideration. This made it super easy to set up the bellydrum even when double targeted.
    [​IMG]
    Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 Spe
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Trick Room
    - Protect
    - Encore
    - Helping Hand
    -> By far the most technical pokemon on my team barring the snorlax. Whimsicott served as a very niche and strange, yet vital role as a TR user. TR is a -7 priority move making it go last in most cases. A lot of arcanines at that time ran Roar, which is a -6 priority move to phase out the TR user. With wimsicott's prankster ability, TR now becomes a -6 priority move. The speed EVs for whimsicott is to out-speed neutral nature max speed arcanine. By roaring the Whimsicott, I would immediately switch out after setting up TR, which would give immense offensive pressure to my opponent. The speed stat did not hinder whimsicott at all, since all of wimsicott's moves except TR were priority moves anyways.
    Encore was a very disgusting tool in the late game. Encore prevented the opponent from using protect on the last turn of TR, as they would simply get encored. I would often switch in whimsicott on the last turn of TR to catch opponents double protecting. Also, I would use encore to lock in opponents into useless/low damage moves to support my sweepers outside of TR (like arcanine's snarl).
    Another niche of whimsicott was to set up TR through spore. A surprising number of teams used smeargle's spore as the sole method of stopping TR. This came useful in my top 4 match against Suica (@jg1zzang).
    In a nutshell, Whimsicott was used to set up TR through roar and spore

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Xeos

Xeos New Member

I love your team. Thank you for the team report it is very informative.

3. Lucien Lachance

Lucien Lachance New Member

Hey man, big fan here! I love your twitter name!

Congratulations on winning! Triple Trick Room is Terrific!