Metagross is Good - A Top 64 NA International Team Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bottlecaps, Jul 9, 2017.

1. bottlecaps

bottlecaps Member

Greetings everyone. My name is Shaun Martin and I wanted to share with you the team I piloted to a top 64 finish at the recent North American International Championship. This team was a lot of fun and I thought the community would enjoy messing around with it since it isn't exactly what you'd consider the standard meta play (although I most certainly felt it was the play for this tournament).

This team started out at as something fun as a treat to myself on Father's Day but quickly turned into something that I viewed to be formidable and relevant. Hyper offensive teams usually are not my thing but this one was a joy to play.

The Team
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Drizzle
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Brine
    - Hurricane
    - Tailwind
    - Protect

Rain is incredibly offensive and when you're not prepared for it you will get completely blown out of the water (See what I did there? ;)). Pelipper is the rain setter of choice for rain as it provides decent offensive power in a flying STAB with Hurricane and the ability to combo with Golduck using Brine. Hydro Vortex + Brine will take out a Porygon2 in one turn to help prevent trick room which this team does not appreciate. Lastly, Tailwind is critical for hyper offensive teams. If you're not hitting first with this team then you're probably not winning the game.

[​IMG]
    Golduck @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 100 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 124 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Scald
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect

The other member of Double Ducks, Golduck, is an excellent abuser of rain since it gets the ability Swift Swim which doubles it's speed when rain is up. The speed EV investment puts Golduck at 242 speed when rain is up which allows it to out speed the following notable Pokemon:
    • Timid 252 speed Choice Scarf Tapu Lele
    • Timid 252 speed Choice Scarf Porygon-Z
    • Adamant 252 speed Choice Scarf Garchomp
    Some other important things to note regarding the use of Golduck. Just because Golduck has a Z move does not mean you should always use it turn 1. For example, it might be tempting to OHKO that Tapu Koko turn 1 with Hyrdo Vortex however if you're willing to risk it (this team is all about risks by the way) standard Tapu Koko will get OHKO'ed by Hydro Pump in the rain. Knowing when to use your Z move on this team is a skill that is required because preserving your Z move for the right time in battle can be the turning point that leads to victory.
    It's also worth noting a few calcs regarding Snorlax. Snorlax is a huge threat to this team and many other teams in the format right now so it's important to know how to deal with it. I dealt with Snorlax via chip damage. It's important to know your chip calcs so that you don't allow it to eat it's berry and wreck you.
    • 252+ SpA Golduck Scald vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax in Rain: 84-100 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- 57.8% chance to 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    • 252+ SpA Golduck Scald vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 57-67 (23.3 - 27.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    • 252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax in Rain: 195-229 (79.9 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    These calculations tell us that it is usually more important for Golduck to go for Scald onto Snorlax than a Hyrdo Vortex as it allows us to chip Snorlax into range for other powerful moves that the team utilizes in order to ensure a knock out. The combination of Scald + Hydro Vortex the next turn or Scald + Thunder from Koko or just about any move from Metagross will help ensure a knock out on Snorlax without a berry proc.

[​IMG]
    Metagross @ Choice Band
    Ability: Clear Body
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 92 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Bullet Punch
    - Hammer Arm

Good old Metagross. Metagross has been one of my favorite Pokemon ever since I started playing Pokemon again with Gen 5. Yes I know that Metagross is a gen 3 Pokemon but I didn't start playing again until Black & White and Metagross was one of my favorites to use for my in-game team. Father's Day was shortly after Japan Nationals and seeing the team composition that won that tournament inspired me to bust out Metagross for some fun that day. However, I wasn't impressed with the AV set. I wanted to hit things hard and destroy things so I went with Choice Band. I truly do believe that this is the best set for Metagross in this format. Choice Band is able to secure many clean OHKO's on Pokemon that other sets just can't. The 180 speed EV's allow Metagross to outspeed the likes of Choice Scarf Tapu Lele after Tailwind is up. It also outspeeds max speed Magnezone by 1 point allowing Metagross to OHKO with Hammer Arm.

Notable calcs:
    • 228+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 68 HP / 188 Def Snorlax: 210-248 (86 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    This is probably the most notable calc that I want to point out. If you can get at least 25% damage on Snorlax then Metagross can finish it off without a berry proc. 228 attack EV's allows Metagross to pick up OHKO's on Bulu, Koko, Lele, and Gigalith. Meteor Mash at this spread is also a 2HKO on all variants of Tapu Fini.

[​IMG]
    Tapu Bulu @ Mago Berry
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 20 SpD / 44 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Whirlwind
    - Protect

Tapu Bulu is my favorite Tapu of the format. I've stuck with it for the majority of the season despite all of the negative comments people have made about it. Tapu Bulu is the best grass type in this format! :D This set is a variation of Drew Nowak's Bulu that he used to win Madison Regionals. The SpD was lowered and the Speed was increased to allow Bulu to outspeed Tapu Koko after Tailwind was set. Bulu is a great defensive pivot on a team that doesn't have many. Being able to counter enemy terrain and threaten to hit back very hard with Grassy Terrain boosted moves was amazing. Whirlwind was added as the fourth move because in early testing I determined that the team struggled against Mimi-Lax setup teams so Whirlwind is there to phase out Snorlax. Since this is a hyper offensive team it also struggles with Trick Room so Whirlwind can also be used as an alternative to prevent Trick Room from being set.

[​IMG]
    Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Protect

This Tapu Koko set is the standard set from Tommy Cooleen's rain team. It attempts to take advantage of the rain by utilizing Thunder over Thunderbolt and is Modest nature to maximize damage output while relying on Tailwind to be up to hopefully not worry about Koko speed ties. There isn't too much to say here other than Tapu Koko is a very good Pokemon in this format and fits nicely onto this team.
    [​IMG]
    Incineroar @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 20 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Darkest Lariat
    - Flare Blitz
    - Protect

The final Pokemon added to this team was none other than Incineroar. Why Incineroar you ask? Well let me tell you why. In early testing I determined that the team struggled against Drifblim + Tapu Lele which is another notable hyper offensive combo. I started to scour the Alolan Dex for anything that could OHKO Drifblim and not get burned. My search brought me to Incineroar.

Incineroar carrying an Expert Belt allows it to OHKO Drifblim 100% of the time but it also provides other utility in the match up. My preferred lead against Drifblim + Lele is Pelipper + Incineroar. This allows me the most flexibility against the team. This lead allows me to threaten an OHKO on Drifblim and Tailwind on my side. The opposing Drifblim player usually has a few options:
    • Match Tailwinds with Pelipper and get OHKO'ed by Incineroar. Rain stays up and the majority of my team is faster than theirs so they are at a disadvantage.
    • Sunny day into Pelipper's Tailwind. Drifblim is OHKO'ed and now Sunny Day is up for Incineroar which guarantees the OHKO with Flare Blitz onto Lele.
    • Doubles into Pelipper. Still gets OHKO'ed by Incineroar. Speeds are equal between the two teams which gives a slight advantage to my team.
    • Tailwind from Drifblim. Taunt by Lele onto Pelipper. Drifblim still dies to Incineroar.
    Out of all of these scenarios the fourth one is the least advantageous for us but the 4th scenario I've found is actually the least one to occur out of all of them.

Some nice replays of Incineroar putting in work:
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-599096889
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-596944260
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-596185519
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-601684766

Conclusion
    Well, that's the team. I hope you all enjoyed reading this and will consider using this fun team yourself. If you have any questions feel free to comment and I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Lastly, I wanted to thank my friends that helped test with me: DaWoblefet, PacoTaco, AceNowak, and n10sit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. RangerHax

RangerHax New Member

Liked it, but im having problems with TR teams in 12xx ELO , Any recomendations?

3. bottlecaps

bottlecaps Member

As with most hyper offensive teams this team does not appreciate trick room. Typically I try to deal with TR by either blowing up the P2 lead with Pelipper/Golduck or utilizing Bulu with Whirlwind. You need to identify the TR user early and prevent it from setting it up at all costs.