New To Vgc

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by TOOF7LTHY, Apr 12, 2017.

1. TOOF7LTHY

TOOF7LTHY New Member

Hey just picked up pokemon sun and a 3ds. I played omega ruby a bit when it came out did some battle spot with it. Im wondering do people honestly ev/iv or w.e train these pokemon? I know people are easily using hacked (not ev trained or w.e) pokemon in tournaments and in battle spot. Is this frowned upon I know a group of people who are doing this and im not going to lie I just want to battle and for omega ruby I purchased a team for 10-20$? Canadian bucks. Does this make me a bad person/cheater? I wanted to try to start becomming a vgc player and actually compete anyone got solid guides or tips on how to do all this ev/iv and all that?

2. JediR

JediR Member

Hi.
    To answer your question on EV training, it is pretty much required to have competitively viable Pokémon, so pretty much everyone does it. On the topic of cheated or hacked Pokémon, that's pretty controversial, in my opinion, as long as the Pokémon you are using have the same stats, abilities, etc. then you should be able to use it, but not anything that has something that someone could not get legitimately, like Pokémon at level 9999 or something. About the team for Omega Ruby that you mentioned, I think your only mistake was paying anything at all, but what's done is done. As for guides, this site, if you click the logo up in the top left corner, has some pretty great ones, with sample Sets for Pokémon, team reports with teams you can use, etc. Also, since building a team ingame can be quite the task sometimes, with complex EV spreads, natures, IVs, etc. I would consider checking out Pokémon Showdown, it is a simulator that a lot of top players use the test ideas, and the VGC chat room can sometimes be quite helpful for new players

TOOF7LTHY and Nihal like this.
  3. Wult

Wult Member

So, trainer tower has really good resources on if you want to EV train and breed in game. Some people really frown upon "gening" or "hacking" pokemon, I am personally of the opinion that as long as the pokemon is legal, I don't care how you got it. I also have a full-time job, so I absolutely understand where finding time to breed and train pokemon in-game is very difficult for some people.

For getting into the competitive scene, here are some great resources:
    First and foremost, keep in mind that you should have fun. Use pokemon showdown to start building your teams and practicing. You can also make changes more easily so you can solidify your team before getting them in-game. If you want additional resources, or to watch others play, look up CybertronProductions, WolfeyVGC, 13Yoshi37 (Markus Stadter), Baz Anderson, and Alex Oogloza on youtube. They are all high-level VGC players than can offer great insights into how they play, and are fun to watch too. They each have tons of videos. Let me know if you need help getting pokemon, or want any more specific advice on teams!

4. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

It's great to see the community growing and more players picking up competitive! I was in your position just three years ago (has it been that long?). Breeding and EV training are absolutely necessary, but don't worry! Once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fun. I breed whenever I have free time, while I'm watching YouTube, even while I'm reading (it's pretty mindless, and only takes one hand). As a person who has been a new player in a well developed metagame, I'd advise you to just stick with it. It may get tough, especially as you learn teambuilding, but it is really fun! You'll be glad you got into VGC. It is immensely rewarding, win or lose. Good luck!

TOOF7LTHY and JediR like this.
  5. TOOF7LTHY

TOOF7LTHY New Member

Love all the great vibes in this post. I thought I would get scolded for admitting to use "hacked" mons. Just 1 more question is there any competitors you see at tourneys that are like 30years old +? I feel a lil weird getting into this when im so old lol.

6. Wult

Wult Member

Not many in my area (Twin Cities, Minnesota), however there are some places where there are some older people. Down near Chicago, where I've gone for some MSS and some Regionals, the TO is older and has 2 kids that also play pokemon, she helps them out and knows a lot about the game. There's also a mother (probably 50+) and son (mid/early 20's) duo that plays a lot. So there are some people there, not a whole lot. I'm mid 20's and we have some late 20's players where I'm at too.

To your comment on "hacked" pokemon, some people are sensitive or have strong opinions about it, so I would generally avoid bringing it up at a sanctioned PC or something. Though you can generally gauge how people feel, and I think most people have a "laissez faire" attitude.

TOOF7LTHY likes this.
  7. JediR

JediR Member

I know someone online who goes to events in the Chicagoland area with his two kids, so to answer your question, it depends on the area, but I wouldn't worry about it, I know the best player in my area is 28 (I think) so I can't see why it wouldn't be fine.

TOOF7LTHY likes this.
  8. Trainer Nobu

Trainer Nobu New Member

I'm 28 this year and go to local tournaments lol. I live in Hawaii though so not too sure if I'm a rarity

TOOF7LTHY likes this.
  9. NoDam

NoDam New Member

I prefer using non hacked mons since gen7 rng abuse is a thing and I can catch flawless tapus and breed flawless 0 atk special attacker in a decent amount of time. However quite everyone does hack, so as long as you do it properly it is completely ok. When I was in London I made it somehow to day2 and I went through every kind of hack check without a problem and since I had no time to get the mons in time in the legit way I asked some friends of mine to pkHex them.

Basically if you go to a tournament with properly hacked mons there will be no way they can tell you that the mons are actually hacked. Unless you admit they are. Be sure to look at tournament rules in order not to make mistakes such as Heavy Ball Metagross/Tapus or non-timid Shiny Tapu Koko.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    TOOF7LTHY likes this.
  10. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

Apparently shiny Koko is illegal regardless of Nature - the rules probably won't be updated until the event is released internationally. It's stupid, but there you go. I wouldn't recommend hacking at all - personally, I breed everything, and always make a point of checking Wonder Trade parents for legality. However, I accept that others disagree, or just don't have the time. Not hacking has always just been my personal preference. Especially in the days of Hyper Training, it doesn't really give any unfair advantage, and worrying about hacking and nonhacking just distracts from the most important thing, which is having fun and playing the game we all love.

Foxgopher likes this.
  11. NoDam

NoDam New Member

As far as shiny Koko is concerned rules have been updated (and they made a mess about that because they first uploaded old rules which banned everything coming from Pokebank and added shiny Koko to legal mons list).

12. TOOF7LTHY

TOOF7LTHY New Member

thanks for all the feedback guys!

JediR likes this.
  13. Pudgeysaurus

Pudgeysaurus New Member

Nobody who is serious about the game will ever be mad at you for using hacked mons. Competitively minded players appreciate that sometimes it's the time factor that matters or that testing the team irl is necessary.

Also, I'm 28 and one of the few competitive minded players left in my area :(

14. Eviltwin

Eviltwin New Member

How do you check for hacked pokemons in wonder trade ?

15. Wult

Wult Member

This is a really good question. I want to quickly define the term "hacked". If, a pokemon has:
    • A legal moveset and ability (i.e. no sacred fire, wonder guard sableye's)
    • Is in a legal ball
    • Has legitimate IV's (legendary pokemon cannot have hidden power fighting, because they always have 3 perfect IVs)
    • Has legitimate EV's (only 510 maximum)
    • Game location/region data is correct (important for legendaries or event pokemon)
    There is no way to tell if that pokemon was hacked in with PKHex, edited with a PowerSave, or legitimately caught and trained in game. If the end result is legal, there is no way to tell if the pokemon is "legit" or "hacked". Just plain no way. If you want to know if a pokemon is illegitimate in terms of its use in a battle, it's important to check the above, and check the official VGC rules document. For example, tapu's and ultra beasts cannot be shiny (with the exception of an event shiny tapu koko, which I think is required to be timid, and must be from Japan). Again, check the rules document (available somewhere on pokemon.com) which will lay out specifics on shinies, pokeballs, and others. The obvious things like illegal moves, natures, and stats can be checked in game, and comparing to a reference like Serebii or Bulbapedia.

Hopefully this helps. Some people have qualms about using any pokemon that is edited or changed with PKHex or PowerSaves, regardless of the accuracy of the EVs/IVs/Moves. If that is the case, you are best off simply not using any wonder-traded pokemon at all. But, if you are only concerned about its legality for battling, check the above, and simply try a battle spot battle (try singles or something), and the in-game hack-checker will tell you if a pokemon is good, or a no-go.

Eviltwin and JediR like this.