Obligatory Music Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Calmbatradio, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Calmbatradio

Calmbatradio Member

Just about every forum I've ever visited has a music thread somewhere in the off-topic section, so I figured I'd start one here.

What have you been listening to recently?
    What are you excited for?
    Did the most recent _____ album live up to your expectations?
    Why does my favorite band suck?
    Which genre are you looking for new music in?
    Etc.

As far as 2017 is concerned, there are two albums that I've been very impressed with. The first of which is "Forever" by Code Orange, which is one of the most visceral albums I've heard since Nails released "You Will Never Be One of Us" last year. They really explored with texture on this album, opting for clean vocals on 2 songs, and implementing some industrial mechanics as well.

The second album was released for streaming on Christmas, but wasn't 'officially' released until January, and that's "Run the Jewels 3" by Run the Jewels. It's another really solid effort by them, and took a little longer to grow on me than RTJ2. The political songs fall a little flat to me compared to the booming sound they are so capable of, but Killer Mike and El-P are still a fantastic duo, and remain one of my favorite current rap acts.

There isn't too much I'm really looking forward to right now. I'm hoping Counterparts gives us a new record this year, following their trend of releasing one every other year, but there hasn't been an official announcement. Also hoping we get something new from Kendrick Lamar, but with the way pop music and rap have been going, I'm guessing it'll just drop without warning if/when it does, and it may be another year out anyways.

Other than that, I'm looking to explore the genre of 8-bit a little bit. Any recommendations of instrumental 8-bit artists are welcome, as well as games with good soundtracks that are accessible (preferably through Spotify). I'm also always looking for dark/creepy sounding electronic music in the instrumental variety. Anything hardcore punk/metal or rap will usually get a listen from me, too!

2. Ritzii

Ritzii New Member

I've been stuck in a ska phase for way too long now. Reel Big Fish fo lyf.

VerbatiM likes this.
  3. Vosken

Vosken Member

Loyle Carners latest album on repeat here, british rapper with a nice flow with some nice jazzy instrumentals on the side.

4. VerbatiM

VerbatiM New Member

If Black Dahlia Murder stays true to form then we should get an album by fall of this year, and I can almost guarantee it will be great.

5. Calmbatradio

Calmbatradio Member

I dig the instrumentals here a lot more than the vocals. I think I just have a mental block when it comes to the accent. The isntrumentals remind me, not entirely of course, of Oddisee. He uses a lot of jazzy instrumentals.

I've heard of the Black Dhalia Murder before, and took some time to check them out this evening. I like al lof the individual parts but something seems... off. I think it's more of a production issue for me. I tried a couple of different albums to check, and it seems like "Nocturnal" has the most punch. It feels like all of the instruments are the exact same volume. I'm not feeling the bass drum the way I'd like to. Could just be a genre thing too. I'm not well versed in black/death metal.

6. MysteriousLadVGC

MysteriousLadVGC Member

We need more rock here, where are my fellow rockers?

7. Chiron

Chiron Livin' it up on the 5th Co-Founder

As Australia Day (Jan 26th) has just passed, a music thread wouldn't feel complete without the epitome of Australian Music, the Triple J Hottest 100, and Hottest 200. I can't guarantee every single song will tickle your fancy, but a wide variety of genres means that hopefully a few will. This is also a good introduction to some Australian Artists that haven't quite 'made it' on the global stage. The playlists, as well as past Hottest 100s as far as back as 1993 are all available on their Spotify profile, found in the earlier links.

8. candy berlin

candy berlin Member

9. ruby

ruby New Member

Bangtan (kpop) is releasing their new album on Feb 13, and I'm so excited >.<

candy berlin likes this.
  10. candy berlin

candy berlin Member

hype !!
    wings doesn't even feel that old
    jhope a besto

11. Ritzii

Ritzii New Member

I used to sing in a band that thought we were Guns N Roses if that counts? :p

12. Pixeloo

Pixeloo Member

[KPOP] Red Velvet's comeback @ Feb 1 !!!!

candy berlin likes this.
  13. Ricky

Ricky New Member

Check out Heck's album Instructions.

Rest of the album is on Spotify.

Not stopped listening to Childish Gambino's "Awaken, My Love!". Redbone is addictive.

14. Ricky

Ricky New Member

Also, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes released an album last week.

15. ruby

ruby New Member

nah man, yoongi is the best :p

Yeah, it feels like blood sweat and tears just came out lol, and the teaser photos just came out today

16. candy berlin

candy berlin Member

oh hell yeah 2nd besto boyo
    nvr 4get his hat in war of hormones
    it's gonna be lit

17. Calmbatradio

Calmbatradio Member

I gave Heck a listen, and while I appreciate the style, there's just something about the vocals that just doesn't sit right with me. It could be the accent.

18. liftedpixel

liftedpixel New Member

I like to listen to whatever is on the classical music station while I'm driving.

At home, I usually listen to vaporwave. Like most music genres, I'm not sure of particular artists, but I listen to a few different online radios:

[ https://plaza.one/ ]

Nightwave Plaza is my preferred online radio because it has an external stream (https://plaza.one/mp3) when I'm not at my computer or want to play music on the TV. Here are a few other online radios in no particular order:

http://currentcondition.org/
    http://dreamfm.biz/

And this is a LONG Soundloud playlist that someone has put together:

https://soundcloud.com/valentina-marini/sets/vaporwave

Outside of electronic music, rock music is good and house/hiphop, but I don't hate any music enough to not listen to it.

candy berlin likes this.
  19. Calmbatradio

Calmbatradio Member

I am addicted to Injury Reserve.