One Trick Pony ( Gimmicks are they worth my time?)

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Cheshire, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire New Member

Hi I wasn't sure where to ask this so I came here. Before the hate comes my way for being a noob am going to be up front about. I am for the most part new to VGC. I played back in to 2009 to about 2011 so really the experience I did have counts for nothing.

So now that the warning is out of the way. I been play around with this fun hard tick room team.The core of the team is my new favorite Pokemon Mudsdale. As I do with any thing I love, I set out to break it. A long story short I came to the ideal of using Swagger on Tapu Fini to give Mudsdale I nice attack boost. I though it was a very fun ideal and made a team around. Later, after getting my teeth knock in on Showdown, I kinda give up on the team. So mostly I want to know do gimmicks like this work? Is this even a Gimmick? Also if gimmicks do work, can this, or am I just wasting every ones time?

2. tlyee

tlyee Member

actually that strat works fine, it was used by wolfe to win a regional (although with different recipients for the swagger)

if you want to use a strong mudsdale team I would recommend using this very balanced offense team similar to one popularized by EmbC (Edu) who was a top 4 finisher at worlds last year

http://pastebin.com/9nBJyxKg

3. Therazer456

Therazer456 Active Member

swagger fini + physical sweeper isn't a gimmick at all as said previously it has won regs this season. im basically echoing the previous post here by saying don't give up on the idea, refine it and get in the practice with it.

4. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

Ray Rizzo used Swagger Porygon2 and Own Tempo Mudsdale on his YouTube for a while. My advice is to never write something off as a gimmick until you've tried it and seen how it works, but to never become too dependent on any one strategy. You need a plan for if Psychic Terrain is not up, if Fini is Taunted or goes down, or if Mudsdale goes down, etc. The difference between a gimmick and a cool tech is that you are dependent upon a gimmick, but a tech is just part of a greater arsenal. Always be flexible, both in playstyle and in way of thinking!

5. Hamstermania(Koutesh)

Hamstermania(Koutesh) Active Member

I have seen one swagger + own tempo strategy that really gave me trouble , that was oranguru + mudsdale combo.
    The plan practically was to prevent oranguru from being taunted / fainted with some support pokemon , then setup Trick room. Next turn you swagger the mudsdale on the switch in , giving it +2 attack. Then you instruct +2 mudsdale which sweeps the game.
    For a beginner like you , these ''autopilot'' teams are perfect for you.
    Here is the sample team made of this strategy
    Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Psychic
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Moonblast
    - Thunderbolt

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Instruct
    - Swagger
    - Protect
    - Trick Room

Torkoal @ Charcoal
    Ability: Drought
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
    Quiet Nature
    - Eruption
    - Flamethrower
    - Solar Beam
    - Protect

Lilligant @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sleep Powder
    - After You
    - Protect

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - Protect
    - Poison Jab
    - U-turn

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Stamina
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpD
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Heavy Slam
    - High Horsepower

(Hint : lead with pheromosa and oranguru , you can immidietelly kill one pokemon with fightinium Z boosted high jump kick which threatens oranguru or you can switch with u-turn)

6. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

Gimmicks are good when they work, but you need a viable backup for when someone stops the gimmick.

7. Scar The Colossus

Scar The Colossus New Member

So to me gimmicks are either one of two things. Its either a strategy that ONLY works because your opponent did not know it was happening, or a team with only one strategy that can't really win without using it. Now as far as the first point goes, there is nothing wrong with keeping secrets or surprises. Pokemon is a game of information after all. That being said, if a pokemon becomes completely useless once your opponent knows what it does, that's a gimmick, and a weak strategy. You don't see too much of this in doubles because they work so poorly, but the best example I can think of is in singles, the level 1 Aron. If your opponent knows what a level one Aron does, all they have to do is give it a burn or whatever and it loses, but if they try to fight it like a normal pokemon, you'll win. That strategy has nothing to do with skill or board position or maneuvering. It all comes down to whether your opponent knows how to stop it, and whether they have the right 'mons to stop it. The second type of "gimmick" in doubles is the "one trick pony" and is probably more what you were referring to. A strategy where you are forced to use it every game and you really can't win if you don't. The clearest example of this in VGC 2017 would be extreme Evoboost. When fighting one of these teams, they will ALWAYS use the eevee boost, so all you have to do is have a 'mon with prankster taunt and you'll win. You shut down their one strat, and they basically can't do anything. Your personal example, self-swagger Fini, is certainly not this. Both Fini and Mudsdale are very capable pokemon and are not reliant on the boost to do anything. The self-swagger boost is just a nice bonus when the situation allows it. I think your problem would be thinking you ARE a one trick pony. If you have a strategy like self-swagger, the key to being successful is know when to use it, and when you need to use something else. Trying to hard to do one strategy is a very easy way to set yourself up for failure.