Rain teams in 2018

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Misdreavus, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Misdreavus

Misdreavus New Member

I'm looking at building a rain team for VGC 2018. Is rain capable of being a top-tier strategy? What are its weaknesses besides hard Trick Room?

I was told that Politoed + Ludicolo + Tapu Lele + Metagross was a good rain core. Any suggestions on what to put in the remaining 2 slots? If I didn't already have 2 Psychic-types, I'd say Trick Room Cresselia to reverse TR if my opponent gets it off, so I may want something else that can do that. Skill Swap would be nice too, for resetting Drizzle or even Psychic Terrain.

Thanks!

2. AtTehCross

AtTehCross Member

The number 1 problem for rain teams is Ferrothorn. Luckily it’s not super common, but you need to make sure you can handle it and not just auto-lose to it.
    To be honest though, I’m very weary of using Lele-Gross with Rain because it can be very susceptible to bulky steel types like Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Celesteela. If you use those four, make sure he last two slots deal with those Pokémon and can deal with TR if your opponent gets TR up. Definitely have Taunt on Lele to try to stop TR and Helping Hand boosted Hydro Vortex in the rain from Ludi can help initially with TR.
    I hope this helps a little!

Misdreavus likes this.
  3. Misdreavus

Misdreavus New Member

Thanks! One thing I actually came up with was a bulky Zapdos:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: ???
    Bold nature
    - Thunder
    - Heat Wave
    - Detect
    - Substitute

I can take advantage of the rain with Thunder, OR stall it out with Detect/Sub to allow Heat Wave to do its duty against Steel-types. Sub also protects me from Leech Seeds from Ferrothorn and Celesteela.

With that, I'd still need something to handle Aegislash. And I'm thinking:

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    IVs: 0 Speed
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Brave nature
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab
    - Imprison/filler
    - Protect

With a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature, Alolan Muk underspeeds Aegislash so I can Knock Off for the OHKO after Aegislash attacks and is still in Blade Form (assuming Trick Room is not up). Poison Jab is also good against the popular Tapus, and I counter Cresselia quite nicely.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these potential choices to round out the team!