Pinned RMT Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chiron, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Chiron

Chiron Livin' it up on the 5th Co-Founder

DISCORD SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST STOP FOR RMTs
    ((Please post your team in a hastebin/pastebin when you do post in the Discord))

Welcome to the Rate My Team (RMT) thread! This will be the sole home to RMTs on Trainer Tower at the moment. If we find this to be an inadequate solution, we will look at introducing a separate RMT section. Any individual threads made for your own Rate My Team, will be deleted. We hope that users will not only make their own posts here, but help one another just as they seek their own help. This being said, we strongly encourage users to utilise the discord room. A few minutes of live help, can often solve problems multiple posts would need.

To maintain this thread, and see that it doesn’t fall into a giant void of messy text, we ask you to follow these rules. Failure to follow these rules can result in your post being deleted without warning. Generally, the more work you put into your post, the more likely and willing people will be to help. Remember; everyone is learning and whilst this thread offers you the chance to give constructive feedback, it does not give you the chance to personally criticise.

Laws of the RMT thread:
    • Present your team in the standard PS export-import format, this includes a full team of six Pokemon with EVs, items, moves etc. You should have already played a bunch of games with your team so it should be on PS. Playing with your team prior to posting a RMT will help you find problems, that you can ask others for help solving.
    • Provide us with an insight of your team!
      The more information you give; the better people can you help! This should include the general strategy of your team, why you picked your Pokemon, their moves, items, etc. Maybe you would like to explain certain matchups you are struggling with or why you find yourself asking for help.
    • Sprites can be added by clicking on the ‘circle P’ button, and adding the name of the Pokemon in lower case. One can also find sprites on the main site, namely under the results section. You can open the image in a new tab, and change the numbers at the end according to the national PokeDex number.
    RMTs are an excellent way to give back to the community, improve your own knowledge of the game and seek out help from other players. In fact, I remember my own RMT from 2012!

Here’s to many successful RMTs and player growth!

Best of luck, and thank-you!

2. Qwello Lee

Qwello Lee New Member

Sooo, I'm not really sure I should be posting here (don't ban me please...). Ayway, I'm Qwello Lee, I got into vgc last year and seeing how amazeballs I was in 2016 I decided to try my hand at vgc17 as well. I've been messing around on Showdown testing for a bit and this is the best I came up with.

Rainbow dog (Muk-Alola) @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 116 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Protect
    - Poison Jab
    - Shadow Sneak

Pretty standard Muk set, Knock Off for STAB and crippling item-reliant Pokemon, poison jab for a secondary STAB, protect is pretty much obligatory and shadow sneak, despite its underwhelming damage, is probably the best filler, although I've been considering running curse over it. The figy berry + gluttony combo helps muk stick around longer. The EV spread lets it OHKO offensive tapu lele, with 252 HP to maximize its overall bulk. I honestly don't know what the defensive EVs are for.
    Relevant damage calcs:
    116+ Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 146-174 (100.6 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Muk-Alola: 87-103 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Muk-Alola: 138-164 (65 - 77.3%) -- 7.8% chance to 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery

Doggo (Arcanine) @ Firium Z
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Snarl
    - Roar
    - Protect
    - Burn Up

Although many people run more offensive Arcanine I quite like using a bulkier, support version. Intimidate and snarl reduce my opponent's damage output, protect is a staple in this format, and roar is to prevent the opponent from setting up trick room. Plus, let's be honest, roaring out a snorlax after they just used belly drum is hilarious. Firium Z gives me a powerful one-time nuke that can OHKO kartana through protect and most celesteela. Burn up is also quite useful against water types, since it gets rid of my fire typing. The EV spread makes sure that garchomp's earthquake is a 3HKO after intimidate and lets arcanine take tapu lele's shattered psyche outside of psychic terrain most of the times.
    Relevant damage calcs:
    36+ SpA Arcanine Inferno Overdrive (195 BP) vs. 84 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Kartana: 588-696 (405.5 - 480%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    36+ SpA Arcanine Inferno Overdrive (195 BP) vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 198-234 (101.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    -1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 188 Def Arcanine: 84-98 (42.6 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 32 SpD Arcanine: 172-204 (87.3 - 103.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Standing dog (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Poison Jab

Pretty standard garchomp set. Poison jab for all those pesky tapus running around and earthquake for a powerful ground-type STAB. I decided to run rock slide over dragon claw because i didn't find the latter to be particularly useful in this metagame. The EV spread is nothing fancy, I just wanted it to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Yache berry is there to help garchomp take an ice beam sometimes. Maybe.
    Relevant damage calcs:
    252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 146-174 (100 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 120-143 (65.5 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 164-196 (92.6 - 110.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Dead dog (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt

Ok, I know that most of you are probably thinking "Wtf, scarf gengar??! LOL". I am aware that at first glance this might look like a Verlisify set, but hear me out on this one, ok?
    This thing's main objective in life is to serve as a lead, OHKO the opposing tapu and the keep spamming sludge bomb until it goes down. HP ice is obviously for garchomp (and sometimes salamence), thunderbolt for annoying water types like golduck and araquanid, as well as to treaten gyarados and prevent it from setting up. As for shadow ball, I've almost never used it and I was considering running destiny bond instead, although I'm not too fond of being stuck using it if they don't KO gengar immediately. The nature and EV spread maximize its damage output while still making sure it outspeeds timid scarf tapu lele. Also, I am fully aware that it's a best of one gimmick and it's most likely to be trash in a tournament setting.
    Relevant damage calcs:
    252+ SpA Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 176-208 (95.6 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
    252+ SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 216-254 (147.9 - 173.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 152-180 (100 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Golduck: 136-162 (87.1 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Fat dog (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 164 HP / 68 Atk / 108 Def / 124 SpD / 44 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Heavy Slam

Celesteela is one of the biggest win conditions of my team. This thing has all the bulk in the world. Like ALL OF IT. Jokes aside, celesteela usually sits in the back until the opposing fire and electric types have been dealt with by its teammates, then comes out and sets up its way to victory. The moves are fairly standard, leech seed is used for recovery and chip damage and goes really well along with protect. Sub is there in case the opponent still has some dangerous mons in the back and heavy slam is useful to pick up KOs on weakened opponents and so that celesteela isn't completely taunt bait. In case you are wondering what those fancy EVs do, they make sure that celesteela gets an attack boost everytime it koes a foe, which means that if the opponent is unprepared it can really snowball out of control. As for the defensive EVs take a peek at the damage calcs.
    Realevant damage calcs:
    252+ Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 164 HP / 108 Def Celesteela: 90-106 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela in Electric Terrain: 168-198 (87 - 102.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela: 100-118 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    68+ Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 164 HP / 92 Def Tapu Lele: 182-216 (109.6 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bird dog (Pelipper) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpA / 40 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Tailwind
    - Hurricane

Pelipper is celesteela's partner in crime, setting up the rain to weaken damage from the opposing fire types and providing tailwind support once celesteela has got its attack boosts. Focus sash is there to make sure tailwind goes up even against electric types. It is also useful to shut down torkoal + lilligant, which would otherwise give this team a lot of problems.
    Relevant damage calcs:
    212+ SpA Pelipper Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 204-240 (111.4 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Pelipper: 64-76 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    212+ SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 240 HP / 48 SpD Lilligant: 192-228 (109.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    212+ SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 168-200 (94.9 - 112.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

So, this is the team. For the few of you that might still be thinking it is somewhat good, well...
    • It gets dunked on by araquanid, expecially in trick room.
    • Hard trick room in general is a very rough matchup if I can't prevent it from going up with arcanine.
    • Celesteela too often finds itself facing mons that should have been removed earlier
    I have have been considering switching celesteela out for gastrodon (either the Z-stockpile one or recover+toxic), since it can deal with opposing electric types and handles rain teams much better, but its honestly underwhelming damage output kinda kept me from doing it. That being said I apologize for any mistakes/typos (as you might have guessed English is not my first language) and hope to receive a lot of contructive criticism.

Qwello Lee out!

3. FrostVGC

FrostVGC New Member

I just participated in my first Play Pokemon event this past weekend at the MIT Midseason Showdown. It was a lot of fun, pretty well run, and I got to meet and play some great and interesting people.

I ran a Trick Room(Quasi-Sand) team starring Oranguru and was pleasantly surprised with my performance. I went into it with very low expectations that I thought were confirmed after my first two matches resulted in quick, crushing losses, but after that I had an epiphany on how to better use my team and was able to win the next four rounds with some effort. I finished in the middle of the pack at 21st, I believe. So without further adieu, her is my team break down. I would love some constructive feedback!

Oranguru was my trickroom setter and by far the MVP of my team. His spread is designed to ensure he can take a Dark STAB from almost anything in the meta and survive. I mainly used instruct with great success and only had Psychic so I wouldn't be totally screwed by taunt. I think I only used it twice the whole tourney. I went with Telepathy over Inner Focus so that I could spam earthquake with out fear.
    Oranguru (M) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 6 Spe
    - Trick Room
    - Instruct
    - Psychic
    - Protect

I built this team because I wanted to use Crabominable. I am a huge ice-type fan and feel required to love the only new ice type this gen despite his derpyness. That said, this guy is terrifying in trick room. Ice Hammer makes him even slower, and crabhammer provides coverage. I went with P-Punch because paired with Oranguru's instruct, this crab can take out a Porygon2 or Snorlax in one turn and come out of it with +2Atk. He's sort of like a pseudo-MegaKangaskhan.
    Crabominable (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 2 Spe
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Ice Hammer
    - Crabhammer
    - Protect

Garchomp provided my team with the fast firepower I needed to eliminate big offensive threats like Lele and especially Kartana that would shut down Oranguru before he could set up. I actually won a game with Chomp/Guru in trick room. Oranguru became the fastest mon, and instructed Chomp to go first allowing him to still be the fastest thing on the field.
    Garchomp (F) @ Groundium Z
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 30 SpA
    - Fire Fang
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab

Koko was probably my least used mon, but still proved useful in winning some key games. He was meant as a fast support/cleanup with Taunt and Discharge. I don't think I every actually used Taunt though.
    Tapu Koko @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 8 Atk / 5 Def / 3 SpD
    - Protect
    - Discharge
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt

Gastrodon is just a solid mon that I've always loved. Shuts down water, immune to electric, and access to some great moves. When I needed someone to just hang in there and get some hax, she was my slug.
    Gastrodon-East (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 4 SpA
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 29 Spe
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald

Gigalith was another big part of my team. With AV, he is just so ridiculously tanky. In trick room, Instruct-Rock Slide just ruins peoples' day.
    Gigalith (M) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 16 SpA / 0 Spe
    - Rock Slide
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. Pixeloo

Pixeloo Member

Hi there everyone! I just want some opinions about my team before I breed them in-game! (I’ve tried them on Showdown)
    Electric Trick Room

Team Building Process:
    My original team consisted of Lele, A-Marowak, Gastrodon, Goomy, Gyarados, and Garchomp. Because Lightning Rod-Sap Sipper-Storm Drain, why not? Anyways, I got frustrated with the team so I scraped it but I reused the most consistent ones – Gyarados and Garchomp. I added in Tapu Koko, A-Raichu, Celesteela and another mon that I forgot since I replaced it quickly with Snorlax since I was having problems with Trick Room teams.

So the team looked like this:
    Tapu Koko @Life Orb
    A-Raichu @ Psychzium Z
    Gyarados @ Waterzium Z
    Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Celesteela @ Leftovers
    Snorlax @ Figy Berry

This team made better progress than the first one but I was still struggling with Trick Room teams even with CurseLax, so I experimented with Taunt/Encore on Koko-Raichu. Also, I realized that I don’t have any good answers (I think) for weathers as I came across a Torkoal/Oranguru team, and it rendered my team helpless.

I once again re-engineered my team, but I was convinced that the Koko-Raichu core is pretty solid, and so:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    Timid Nature
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect

Pretty tandard moveset and EV spread. Taunt is debatable here, I have the option to run Hidden Power Ice since the Koko I have in game has HP Ice (Yay to Hyper Training not changing HP types!) for the surprise KOs on Garchomps.

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Surge Surfer
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Psychic
    - Fake Out
    - Protect

Pretty standard moveset and EV spread. I’m thinking if I should keep Fake Out, Encore and Grass Knot are options. Also Focus Sash was better than I expected it to be!

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    EVs: 228 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Heavy Slam
    - Seed Bomb
    - Protect

My favorite UB hands down, I never knew how strong it was until I sued it myself. It won me tons of games by itself and is very very very hard to kill if you take out the threats to it. Pretty standard moveset. Seed Bomb is to deal with Gastrodons. The EVs are not mine, anyways it’s for bulk mostly while speed creeping other Celesteelas.

Then I pondered how to deal with Trick Room and Weather? What came into mind was Cloud Nine Drampa. So:

Drampa @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Cloud Nine
    EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
    Quiet Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Energy Ball
    - Flamethrower
    - Hyper Voice

A sweeper under Trick Room and provides weather support for the team. Energy Ball is for Gastrodons and other ground types that I have trouble with whilst Flamethrower to deal with steel types which I have no answer to. This replaced Garchomp in my team.

But as I learned with CurseLax, one mon to counter trick room is still a hard task. So I thought, what if I run a Trick Room option myself (I used the same concept back in VGC15 before switching to hard Trick Room back then, also I skipped VGC16 lol).

That’s when Mimikyu came into mind. A very good pokemon imo, I use it to play mind games with Trick Room teams. With access to TR, It can cancel it with its own TR or even setup my own TR. Also its ability is really good.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
    Ability: Disguise
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Play Rough
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Shadow Claw
    - Trick Room

Standard moveset with min speed to outspeed other Mimikyus under TR. I’m contemplating if I should get Taunt, Protect, and Sub. But as of now I’m pretty satisfied with the moveset. The thing I like about Mimikyu is that it can function well within TR or outside of it because of Shadow Sneak and its ability.

The last member is more or less my replacement for Gyarados. Since I needed a water type to deal with Fire types so that my Celesteela can have a comfortable time. Then I saw Araquanid, it’s like a hard counter against Fire types and it gives so much pressure to them especially under Trick Room. It’s also bulky enough to take special fire attacks and hit back really hard.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Brave Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Lunge
    - Protect
    - Wide Guard

I really enjoy using Pokemon, but I’m having a problem with its movepool. I was considering Leech Life over Lunge but opted for Lunge because of the lack of Intimitade in my team. Wide Guard is to block Earthquakes for my Koko and Raichu. But I also want to use Poison Jab as a means to check Fairies bar from Celesteela.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leads:

& – My standard lead if the opponent doesn’t have any answers to Electric.
    & – if a team is weak to Koko but has a Garchomp that I think might lead
    & – Standard lead against Sun teams, this almost guarantees a switch out from Torkoal.
    & / – I use this lead to threaten with Trick Room against teams that have no reliable answer to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Thoughts:

I just really wanted to hear some opinions before I breed and catch these mons in-game. What I personally like about this team is that it has a Fast Mode and Trick Room Mode. EVs are standard spreads, but I will EV properly for specific things once I have the time. So far, I’m still considering HP Ice on Koko and Poison Jab on Araquanid for coverage; and Porygon2, but I don't have any experience using it so I'm not sure if it can replace Drampa. I think that the team would have trouble with Tapu Bulu but I am yet to match against one in Showdown. Anyways, please do tell me if you see any glaring weakness that I missed so I can address to them.

Thank you in advance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    On this thread:
    I personally think that a seperate section for RMTs would be better, since replies with be all over here if it's a single thread for every team. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    FrostVGC likes this.
  5. PsyshicSeed

PsyshicSeed New Member

I suggest running Nihilego instead of Gengar. It accomplishes the same thing but with a different STAB, Rock, and allows you to gain beast boosts with every KO.

[​IMG]
    Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Power Gem
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt or other coverage move.

You can probably mess around with the EVs a bit more since all the speed and special attack might not be necessary.

If you are going to run a Firium-Z Arcanine I think the speed stat is crucial. With no speed EVs I don't really see the point. And Burn Up is bad because you can only use it once before switching out otherwise.

Yache Berry Garchomp I don't see the point, if you are worried about Ninetales then you can run Assault Vest.

With Pelipper there is no point in running all that bulk with the Focus Sash, just run 252 SAtck / 252 Speed Modest. The Garchomp Rock Slide calc is not important because it is rare that they run Rock Slide, even rarer they will flinch you and even rarer that they will prevent your Tailwind + Ice Beam method of killing it. You could also look into running Wide Guard on Pelipper, but it probably isn't necessary. Celesteela also learns Wide Guard if you want to consider testing that.

Replace Arcanine with this Arcanine

[​IMG]
    Arcanine @ Life Orb or Firium-Z
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Extreme Speed
    - Protect

Once again this can be tweaked but you get the general idea. Wild Charge is supposed to help with Araquinid problems. You could afford to replace one of the last two moves with Roar probably. You could also use Roar on Garchomp instead of Poison Jab to help with Trick Room. You could also keep Gengar (rather than switch to Nihilego) and run Taunt or Trick Room to prevent/reverse opponent's Trick Room. Nihilego also learns Trick Room so it can serve a similar role. (and also Nihilego helps with Araquinid).

6. Tangellos

Tangellos New Member

Hey guys, would love some insight on my team, i've got them in-game and on showdown, played a bunch with them, looking for some fresh eyes to try and tweak it.

Slimeball (Muk-Alola) @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 8 Def / 100 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Poison Jab
    - Imprison
    - Knock Off

It's Alolan muk. It comes in, checks tapus, and knocks off items. I went with imprison over the usual shadow sneak slot to cripple other muk as well as being able to stop pokemon from protecting. found it was in general better than the chip damage from an unstabbed Shadow Sneak. I'm pretty happy with this guy and what he does.

DairyQueen (Ninetales-Alola) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Snow Warning
    Timid Nature
    - Icy Wind
    - Blizzard
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Protect

Ninetales is also pretty standard. It brings chip damage in hail, it kills garchomps, it kills bulu, etc. I decided to bring Icy Wind over Freeze-Dry, which makes gyarados a little scarier to me but the speed control has been working out well for me so i'm not too sure which one is better. This thing takes quite a few knock outs for me.

Pointproven (Sandslash-Alola) @ Groundium Z
    Ability: Slush Rush
    EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Iron Head

I like this guy quite a bit. The speed ensures it's faster than everything that isn't scarfed in hail, with adamant max attack giving me a chance to OHKO offensive arcanine at -1 with Tectonic Rage. It also allows me to OHKO offensive lele which is solid.

Niner (Arcanine) @ Safety Goggles
    EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 108 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Roar
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect
    - Flamethrower

Support Arcanine, This isn't the bulkiest, nor is it the hardest hitting, but it does what i want it to do. It checks Kartana, it can outspeed and will-o-wisp an unboosted gyarados, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure if i want Roar or Snarl, right now i'm trying out Roar to try and shore up my TR match-up.

Stuck (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Protect

I love this guy, it sits in and just eats attacks, and it hits pretty hard at +1. I'm a little sad about how prevalent Kartana is because it just devours gastrodon, but even still gastrodon brings enough to the table that I like having it. Especially against Double Duck. I had Normalium Z on it but I found I used Tectonic Rage so much and without any recovery gastrodon was pretty anemic.

Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 244 HP / 116 Atk / 140 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
    Serious Nature
    - Protect
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Leech Seed

This is the one i'm most skeptical about. I have him on the team because my team is so weak to earthquake, but there's so much of the meta that just eats him alive that it's hard to justify bringing him.

7. Daddowiz

Daddowiz New Member

Hi guys, this is my current team. I want some opinions about it!

Kartana @ Focus Sash
    Level: 60
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 SpA
    - Smart Strike
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Protect

Standard Kartana. Obviously it's a pretty strong pokemon and it can deal very well with a big amount of pokemon which are very common in this moment of the metagame such as Tapu Fini. I choose it because I need in my team a fast and offensive pokemon and Kartana fits very well in this role.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 244 HP / 124 Def / 140 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Trick Room

I also want Trick Room as option of speed control in my team, for this reason I choose Porygon2 for my team. The spread guarantees for example that Porygon2 survives at Pysichic from modest Tapu Lele under Psychic Terrain plus a Tectonic Rage from jolly (also adamant) intimdated Garchomp or from intimidated All-out-pummeling (High Jump Kick) Pheromosa. Because it's a bulky porygon2 I prefer to run Toxic instead of Thunderbolt.

Krookodile @ Groundium Z
    EVs: 36 HP / 204 Atk / 44 Def / 44 SpD / 180 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Roar

Krookodile fits very well in this team. With Groundium Z it can deal with opponent's Muk Alola, Sandslash Alola, Ninetales Alola, Tapu Koko, Torkoal and so on. I also choose it because I need an intimidate user in my team. The spread guarantees that Krookodile can survive at a Moonblast from Ninetales and a Leaf Blade from Kartana, and guarantees that it can outspeed Butterfree.
    With Earthquake it can make a great offensive couple with Vikavolt. Roar is for Trick Room users.

Vikavolt @ Iapapa Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 28 SpA / 156 SpD / 4 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - String Shot
    - Protect
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunderbolt

Vikavolt is a pretty strong and solid pokemon with a 140 base power of Sp.Atk. I want it in my team because I choose for this team to have two different type of speed control, Trick Room and String Shot. The spread is the same of Sam's Vikavolt.

Muk-Alola @ Aguav Berry
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Knock Off
    - Curse
    - Protect

Really solid and strong pokèmon especially in this fairy meta. I choose to run Curse because this is an half trick room team. The spread is the same of Paul Chua's Muk.

Drampa @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Cloud Nine
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 148 SpA / 4 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Hyper Beam
    - Hyper Voice
    - Energy Ball
    - Flamethrower

Drampa is a particular choice. It can deal very well with Araquanid (with this particular spread) and Torkoal. It can survive with AV at a Moonblast from Tapu Lele for example. Hyper Voice+Hyper Beam can KO Araquanid and Hyper Beam can OHKO Tapu Koko and Torkoal for example.
    I choose Cloud Nine to have a pokemon that guarantees me a form of weather control.
    Energy Ball is for Gigalith, Milotic and so on, Flamethrower for Celesteela and Kartana.
    Check it!
    And sorry for my english guys!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Mudbae_VGC(Spirit)

Mudbae_VGC(Spirit) Member

I personally think that your team looks pretty well rounded, though I can see a big weakness to A-Muk and a little bit of trouble with opposing Kartana and Tapu Koko. As for your Tapu Koko, the spread looks good other than Taunt. I personally don't think you need HP Ice since you are Life Orb so I would say its a toss up between Taunt and Volt Switch. Taunt helps against stuff like TR, but Volt Switch does good dmg and lets you switch in to another mon to take a hit, remove the whether, or because TR is getting set up. For the A-Raichu, I personally love Fake Out and would not get rid of it as you have Seed Bomb for Gastro and I find Encore underwhelming. I would however change it to Modest as there is nothing between Timid and Modest A-Raichu in E-Terrain and you are probably always gonna have him in E-Terrain. Though if you sometimes use it out of E-Terrain then definitely go with Timid. Your Celesteela and Drampa are good other than calcing, though I would make sure that the Drampa has an even SpD to maximize Assault Vest. As for the Mimikyu, I think personally like max speed to outspeed Modest Lele and if there is a 1 v 1 at the end. Finally, I think that your Araquanid is good but if you want jab then it isn't bad to give up Lunge or Wide Guard. I personally wouldn't use it. Anyway hope this helps :)

Pixeloo likes this.
  9. Pixeloo

Pixeloo Member

You're definitely right about me struggling against opposing Kokos XD I'm still thinking about it though. For A-Muk, I don't know if I'm just lucky but I almost always end up with a 1v1 with my Celesteela. It was my fault not checking the speed tiers. I also saw the difference between A-Raichu Modest and Timid in E-Terrain, I'd need to breed a Modest one for more oomph power since I rarely use it outside of E-Terrain bar Fake Out because of how frail it is. As for Koko, I found HP Ice underwhelming after a few games, I'd give a Volt Switch (I actually didn't think of this option but I like the idea!) a try but Taunt is a pretty solid for me rn. I'll recalculate the stats of Drampa, to make sure. Also as for Mimikyu, I actually have no idea what I really want to EV for so thanks for pointing that out, I'd give it a try. You've been a great help. Thanks!

10. Pixeloo

Pixeloo Member

@Mudbae_VGC(Spirit) what do you think of Garchomp with Groundium Z as replacement for A-Raichu? I'll strap the Focus Sash unto Koko and move the Life Orb unto Mimikyu?

11. Qwello Lee

Qwello Lee New Member

That was incredibly helpful, thank you! The Nihilego is working great, although I'm not completely sold on the offensive arcanine, but I will devinitely give it a try.

PsyshicSeed likes this.
  12. Mudbae_VGC(Spirit)

Mudbae_VGC(Spirit) Member

I dunno. Ghostium is really powerful on Mimikyu. But if life orb can OHKO no investment Lele with Shadow Claw then that seems good to me. Also, I tested your team and I actually like taunt better on Koko. Not my style of team but it seems like a good team.

13. PyukuMarcu

PyukuMarcu New Member

Howzit folks, Marc here, one of the top VGC16 players in South Africa is I and I am damn proud of that title and it's all thanks to the community for helping me.
    Here's the thing, I AM STUMPED, VGC17 is pretty hard, I fear I am going to fall behind. Last time I needed a RMT to make some well needed adjustments to my team, please Arceus maybe it can happen again

Here's my team, I have tinkered with it for days on end and I am having a writers block, can anyone help before I go insane or before the Premier Challenge next week?

Alola Muk @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Power of Alchemy
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Protect
    - Poison Jab
    - Shadow Sneak

Ultimate Tapu counter, this Muk emphasizes bulk and power,

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
    EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA /12 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Morning Sun
    - Flamethrower
    - Snarl
    - Will O Wisp

Intimidate and Snarl is very popular at the moment, so Arcanine is the latest addition to my team since I saw it was rampant and also Kartana was very annoying for me

Golduck @Waterium Z
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 140 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 84 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Hydro Pump
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam

140 EVs in Speed mean I speedtie with even Pheromosa with a boosting nature in Rain so EVs can go into power and bulk.
    Hydro Vortex in Rain OHKOs Assault Vest Kartana in Rain

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Stamina
    EVs: 156 HP / 204 Atk /12 Def / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Heavy Slam
    - Rockslide
    - High Horsepower
    - Close Combat

Tanky and strong, not sure if it's as good as I hoped it would be

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA/ 4 SpD / 4 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Protect
    - Roost
    - Scald
    - Hurricane

Drizzle setter for Golduck, not Politoed so it isn't also weak to Kartana like Golduck is

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 4 SpA/ 96 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Flamethrower
    - Heavy Slam

My wonderwall, Celesteela is a very tanky member of my team, it's Leech Seed+Leftover+Protect Stalling has won me some tight wins.

Sorry the descriptions are short, I am just under a bit of stress with alot of things so my head isn't exactly clear, any help will be appreciated

14. PsyshicSeed

PsyshicSeed New Member

This team I don't like it because there is very little synergy. You have Arcanine with Morning Sun which is hindered by rain. Also you have 3 slow as pooch mons with no Trick Room (Tailwind really doesn't make much a difference with Pokemon THAT slow). And Pelipper really doesn't need Damp Rock or Rain to be up for very long.

I would suggest Goodra instead of Drampa, it is bulkier and can accomplish the same things. Otherwise I think you have a solid team.

First off, Ninetales does not need Dazzling Gleam, or any Fairy STAB. It hits practically nothing. Freeze Dry is much better. On Muk, your 8 Defense is wasting 4 EVs. Leftovers is a useless item on Gastrodon, extra recovery like Sitrus berry or some utility like Maranga berry would be more useful to take advantage of the bulk.

You can replace Tapu Bulu with Tapu Fini or Tapu Lele and that would help with Garchomp. And Tapu Fini could let you remove Safety Goggles from Arcanine because Tapu Fini blocks sleep.

I really like this team but I have a couple suggestions. I do not think Taunt is necessary on Tapu Koko. Volt Switch has been very good in my experience and I suggest trying it. On Raichu, Encore is an option to punish people who Protect in front of Fake Out. You do not need Seed Bomb on Celesteela, Flamethrower and Substitute would be better. Drampa could maybe be replaced with Goodra but I'm not sure. On Spider, Poison Jab and Lunge do very little damage, you could still run them but remember he has a lot of other move options like Hidden Powers, Scald for a mixed set (to beat Arcanines more easily) Bug Bite to steal random Sitrus or 50% berries, or Soak to allow Raichu and Tapu Koko to sweep more easily.

Really interesting team. Your IVs on some Pokemon are strange I assume it is because of limitations in-game so I will not talk about it any longer.

For Oramguru you could consider another support option or coverage move instead of Protect. For Garchomp you do need Protect though. I'd take off Posion Jab or Dragon Claw. For Tapu Koko run Dazzling Gleam instead of Taunt. And I'm not sure why Gastrodon has attack EVs, it has no physical attacks.

15. PyukuMarcu

PyukuMarcu New Member

What are your suggestions then?

I was thinking of adding Trick Room in the form of Porygon2

16. Mr.GX

Mr.GX Well-Known Member

You dont run a Tapu, I'm surprised. Tapu Fini can really hurt you, as it walls your water core, and makes Will o wisp obsolete. In Rain, Muddy Water hurts alot, and Alolan Muk fails to OHKO neutral Tapu Fini. Mudsdale in a rain team sounds kinda wierd, as opposing Rain users can go through your team with ease, especially if they have Tailwind and Tapu Koko (you lack Tailwind). A better Pokemon for this slot would be Kartana/Tapu Bulu, as it helps you with your Fini problem, and AV Kartana can tank some major hits.

You definitely need Focus Sash on Pelipper, as Pokemon like Sash Koko and Sash Nihilego can easily OHKO it. Add Tailwind on Pelipper instead of Roost. Pelipper isn't that bulky anyway to utilize Roost, and it only makes you further weak to Grass-types. Try running Curse Muk instead of Shadow Sneak, as it can help you with your TR matchups. Flamethrower gets weakened in Rain as well, so I think you should run the offensive set.

Thats all, hope I help!

17. Kasoman

Kasoman Member

Hey, guys! I want to showcase a team I designed myself, based around Ninetales and Incineroar, and although it's a fun team to use, I'm still not fully convinced it can handle certain things, so this is where your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Backstory & Inspiration:
    As usual, I scroll through Twitter, and I see a couple teams that intrigued me. One being the famous Incineroar team built by Raikoo, and the other being a defensive composition built by Velocity, both of them accomplishing strong finishes with their respective teams. For me, it's pretty strange how I got inspiration from these two because Raikoo's team is more on the offensive spectrum, while Velocity's team is more on the defensive spectrum.

Raikoo's team (3rd Place Athens Regionals)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Velocity's team (2nd Place Columbus MSS)

Teambuilding Process:
    After seeing those teams, I was at work one day, thinking random thoughts because I usually don't do much at my job. I then came up with Ninetales/Incineroar as a core because being able to set up Aurora Veil for the team would be key for the team, and Incineroar is the ideal partner in my thought because of its access to Fake Out, its good typing and decent bulk, and the ability to OHKO Tapu Lele if Fake Out cannot be used.

[​IMG][​IMG]

A decent start with a couple cool Pokemon, I thought to myself that Ninetales is very frail, and Incineroar also doesn't like facing Water-types, so it only makes sense that I find something that can resist water, as well as take advantage of Aurora Veil pretty nicely. Tapu Fini ended up being the perfect candidate for that because of its excellent bulk, as well as its good defensive typing.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now from the look of this, Kartana is a problem because of the fact it speed ties Ninetales, it can OHKO Tapu Fini easily, and it can also 2HKO Incineroar with Sacred Sword. Because this team is centered around Aurora Veil, I needed something that can wall Kartana, as well as OHKO it in return without having to rely on Incineroar to take recoil damage to do so. I ultimately went with Celesteela for this task, and its bulk can get ridiculous under Aurora Veil, especially after the Beast Boost (shoutouts to Velocity for the idea). I did consider to use Assault Vest Kartana, but I feel that it can be underwhelming since it can't protect itself, and its special defense only goes from a sock to a pile of laundry. Another nice thing about Celesteela is it can beat Nihilego, which runs over many ill prepared teams out there. :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now that I've picked a Fairy-type and a Steel-type, I thought to myself that I should get a Dragon-type, and it ended up being the perfect timing because I needed something that can handle Arcanine and Muk. Garchomp became the only candidate in mind, and its access to Poison Jab and Fire Fang only made me more convinced to use it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These five Pokemon seemed solid together on paper, but there was one thing I forgot about: Trick Room. Because of that, I wasn't fully convinced that I could handle Gigalith, so I needed something that could function in Trick Room, as well as handle Gigalith. I decided to slap Gastrodon as the last member of the team for that reason.

I first tested Choice Specs on Tapu Fini, and although the damage was good, being locked into the wrong move is possibly one of the worst situations in my book. I then watched a Midseason Showdown on Twitch, which was held on Liberty Garden's channel. There, I witnessed Calm Mind and Protect on stream, which was being used by both Azazel and Lunar. I immediately got intrigued, and I decided to go with it, but since I already have Leftovers on Celesteela, I decided to try out the Sitrus Berry on Tapu Fini. Eventually, I went with the Wiki Berry as it is already very bulky, and having that huge recovery is very nice to have, especially if the Aurora Veil is still up. Even the hail damage helps the berry proc faster, so it only made sense for me to go that route. Garchomp was max speed in this first version because I felt like I didn't really need it to survive much since it's already four times weak to ice. Gastrodon had a standard support set at first, and I didn't like it because it just didn't fit. Having to wait for Misty Terrain to wear out before using Toxic was not satisfying at all because sometimes, my need to use Toxic is when the terrain is still up, and when the terrain goes down, it can be too late. I then went for Sejun Park's offensive set, and oh boy, that went terribly. I'll just pretend that didn't happen there...

I ended up not touching the team for maybe a week or two because I was exploring other ideas, but then I came up with the idea of putting Porygon2 on the team since it's so bulky, and it can provide decent offensive pressure after a special attack boost. Behind the Aurora Veil, it can be pretty difficult to take down, and spamming Tri Attack behind the Aurora Veil is something some of my opponents don't even respect. It does seem weird that Porygon2 is there because I don't have much of a use for Trick Room, but the nice thing is that Trick Room isn't my main use for Porygon2. It's usually for certain situations such as when I know my side is guaranteed to be slower, or when I really need to reverse a Trick Room, despite the mind games it involves. Because I have Trick Room, I also decided to go with a bulkier Garchomp, so it can take hits better, as well as possibly underspeeding opposing Garchomp.

That's pretty much the team for now, and now you know how I'm influenced by the teams of those two players.

The Team:
    [​IMG]

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Snow Warning
    Timid Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Aurora Veil
    - Protect

Ninetales is the main focal point of the team, and its EV spread and moveset is standard. I wish I can say more about it, but I don't really need to at this point, other than it being so pretty.

[​IMG]

Incineroar (M) @ Incinium Z
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 148 HP / 132 Atk / 28 Def / 68 SpD / 132 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Darkest Lariat
    - Fake Out
    - Protect

Incineroar is the main supporting partner for Ninetales, and although it doesn't have access to intimidate yet, it's still a very underappreciated Pokemon. The EV spread looks a bit complicated, and it is my favorite member of the team. Because it can't use Fake Out in Psychic Terrain, being able to OHKO a Tapu Lele (mainly scarfed ones) is such a satisfying feeling. Have I also mentioned that Incineroar can OHKO a Marowak after it gets intimidated? In all seriousness, Malicious Moonsault has the best animation of all the Z-Moves. Not gonna lie.

Spread Details:
    • 132+ Atk Incineroar Malicious Moonsault vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 177-208 (100 – 117.5%) — guaranteed OHKO
    • -1 132+ Atk Incineroar Malicious Moonsault vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Marowak-Alola: 174-206 (104.1 – 123.3%) — guaranteed OHKO
    • 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 148 HP / 28 Def Incineroar: 158-188 (83.5 – 99.4%) — guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
    • 252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 148 HP / 68 SpD Incineroar: 82-97 (43.3 – 51.3%) — 6.3% chance to 2HKO
    • 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 148 HP / 68 SpD Incineroar: 55-66 (29.1 – 34.9%) — 4.6% chance to 3HKO [Spread Damage]
      • 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 148 HP / 68 SpD Incineroar: 74-87 (39.1 – 46%) — guaranteed 3HKO [Single Target]
    • Speed creeps uninvested Tapu Bulu by 2

[​IMG]
    Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Misty Surge
    EVs: 244 HP / 60 Def / 100 SpA / 60 SpD / 44 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Muddy Water
    - Moonblast
    - Calm Mind
    - Protect

Tapu Fini's spread is kinda lazy in all honesty because I originally calculated for a Sitrus Berry set, then just threw the Wiki Berry on it. At this point, I feel comfortable with the spread, and I also like the bulk on this spread as well.

Spread details (or should I say original calcs):
    • 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 244 HP / 60 SpD Tapu Fini: 81-96 (46 - 54.5%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
    • 252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 60 Def Tapu Fini: 78-92 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

[​IMG]
    Celesteela @ Leftovers
    EVs: 228 HP / 4 Atk / 52 Def / 140 SpD / 84 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Heavy Slam
    - Flamethrower
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

You know, Celesteela? The one that does Celesteela things? Yeah, that one.

Spread Details:
    • 252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Celesteela: 168-200 (83.5 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252 Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Celesteela: 86-102 (42.7 - 50.7%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
    • 252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Celesteela: 172-203 (85.5 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
    • 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 228 HP / 140+ SpD Celesteela: 86-104 (42.7 - 51.7%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
    • 252+ SpA Arcanine Burn Up vs. 228 HP / 140+ SpD Celesteela: 162-192 (80.5 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[​IMG]

Garchomp (M) @ Groundium Z
    EVs: 92 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 212 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab
    - Fire Fang
    - Protect

Bulky Adamant Garchomp is good.

Spread Details:
    • 252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 92 HP / 108 SpD Garchomp: 161-192 (82.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 92 HP / 108 SpD Garchomp: 159-190 (81.5 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Single target]
    • 252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 92 HP / 108 SpD Garchomp: 164-194 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 28+ SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 92 HP / 108 SpD Garchomp: 160-192 (82 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Speed creeps timid Xurkitree (204 EV's actually results in a speed tie)
    [​IMG]
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 244 HP / 60 Def / 12 SpA / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Tri Attack
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Trick Room

Porygon2's main role for now is to just sit there, take hits, spam Tri Attack, and use Trick Room when need be. The spread I got is basically a more optimized version of Cybertron's, since he stated that 244 HP EV's is better than 252 to minimize weather damage, which is something I completely agree with. The special defensive investment is so good on this spread because it can easily survive both a Scald from Pelipper and a Hydro Vortex from Golduck combined. Porygon2 spamming Tri Attack can also be ridiculous, especially when the Aurora Veil is up because not only it can deal decent damage with STAB, it can also provide a 20% chance of unlucky statuses for each hit. Because I don't have much of a use for Trick Room, I ended up opting for a calm nature over a sassy one, so it can outspeed opposing Porygon2.

Spread Details:
    • 252+ SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 244 HP / 188+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 49-58 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    • 252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 244 HP / 188+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 111-132 (58.1 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
      • Both of them combined come to 83.7-99.4%, which is a guaranteed 2HKO

Struggles for the Team:
    [​IMG]
    Muk - Muk is very bulky, and if well supported and maintained, it can be pretty troublesome to deal with. So far, my best answers to it are Celesteela and Garchomp, and Tectonic Rage is my only way to OHKO Muk, which is a bit problematic if I waste it. I have the tools, and I'm getting better at dealing with it, but I'd like some advice on how to deal with it more efficiently.

[​IMG]
    Nihilego - From experience, the Nihilego matchup is decent in general, but well supported Nihilego teams are a real bother, especially when my opponent maintains it so well. Nihilego is pretty much 2017's version of Mamoswine because it can check many common things in the meta, but it's also pretty frail.

[​IMG]
    Gigalith - Gigalith is a bother because I need hail to set up Aurora Veil, and Gigalith easily stops that. It also threatens both Ninetales and Incineroar, and it also functions well in Trick Room. In addition to those, it's also a very bulky Pokemon, pretty much making me dependent on Garchomp to take it down in one shot.

[​IMG]
    Snorlax - One of the admins here suggested that I need to play carefully, and from experience, I am getting better at handling Snorlax, but I'm still not convinced that I'm utilizing my play to the fullest when it comes to dealing with this thing. It seems that I have the tools, so maybe I'd like some better advice on how to work around Snorlax.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Hard Trick Room Teams - Things like Gavin's team can be pretty difficult, although not impossible. I'm pretty much dependent on Aurora Veil to survive through a Trick Room if there isn't a Gigalith on my opponent's team. It's pretty awkward for my team because most of them are in mid speed tiers.

Common Leads I Use:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Fake Out + Aurora Veil, or just Malicious Moonsault the opponent's Tapu Lele in the face

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Setting up Calm Mind under Aurora Veil is nice

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Porygon2 is a pain to take down behind Aurora Veil, and it's a threat with the SpA boost

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Fake Out + Calm Mind, Incineroar also threatens Kartana

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Pure offense, and I pretty much have to choose which Z-Move I want to use during the game

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Fake Out + Trick Room if necessary

[​IMG][​IMG]
    A more defensive lead, and Celesteela can also threaten Kartana and Nihilego

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Another offensive lead, where Tapu Fini can set up Calm Mind, and Garchomp has the Z-Move

[​IMG][​IMG]
    A mixed lead, Tapu Fini has Calm Mind, and Porygon2 is a threat with the SpA boost

Closing Thoughts:
    I know the composition is a pretty decent one overall, but like I mentioned in the beginning, I'm not fully convinced that I can handle certain things with this team. It's a bit unfortunate that Incineroar doesn't have access to intimidate, but I still think it's a very underrated Pokemon in the format. Look on the bright side. At least I can lead it in front of Milotic and Braviary. I mean, how else would I stop Braviary from setting up Tailwind if Incineroar had intimidate? Out of all the teams I built so far this year, this is definitely one of my favorites, and it's a fun team to use. If anyone can give me insight on how to deal with the things I struggle with, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  18. PyukuMarcu

PyukuMarcu New Member

I used to run Tapu Koko but Garchomp, Arcanine and Kartana demolished it.

Maybe I should get rid of Pelipper and Golduck, perhaps I should add Porygon2 for Trick Room so Muk and Mudsdale can work and I'll add Tapu Bulu for Tapu power??

Ugh I am stumped.

19. Mr.GX

Mr.GX Well-Known Member

That would make it a bit hard TR. Then again, it will be similar to Wolfe's core. Tapu Bulu is countered hard in the meta, and though its useful, Celesteela easily walls it, muk, p2 and Mudsdale. My suggestion would be to run Kartana with rain, and muk.

20. PyukuMarcu

PyukuMarcu New Member

Okay, so I should keep my double duck core and replace Mudsdale with Kartana, that right?