Pinned RMT Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chiron, Jan 30, 2017.

1. PsyshicSeed

PsyshicSeed New Member

You could afford to replace Arcanine with Porygon2.

I really like this team, I want to try that Garchomp myself!

2. Kasoman

Kasoman Member

Thanks, I'm glad you like the team! I actually haven't tested that particular spread before posting this, just some random thing I stumbled upon. I originally had 108 HP / 92 SpD just to make SpD one point higher than Def. Switching those investments was actually a good call as I played with the team more because the original investment survives the moonblasts 14/16 times, so this new spread is super nice. The attack investment just outdamages Yoshi's Dreamhack spread by one point, so there's that.

3. PyukuMarcu

PyukuMarcu New Member

I liked your team so much I stole it

Used it quite a bit, and it's good, what if you change up Fini a bit?

Maybe fit Swagger into Fini's moveset?

Wolfe Glick uses it, makes use of Misty Terrain to prevent confusion and boost up Garchomp and Incineroars power to sky high levels.
    I also replaced Porygon2 with Kartana, I felt the team needed some more raw power rather than a Trick Room check, Kartana also benefits from Misty Terrain+Swagger

So I think just change up Fini to be more supportive and offensive

4. Kasoman

Kasoman Member

I guess I'll take the stealing part as a compliment lol. Glad you like the team, so thanks for that! ^_^

I know about the Swagger Fini set, and I do watch Wolfey play regularly; however, I have my reasons why I didn't go for those techs:
    • I don't want to be dependent on certain moves for support.
    • Tapu Koko with taunt hard counters those Tapu Fini variants, and if you have Garchomp out there, it can be dangerous since those variants usually carry Fairium Z.
    • Wolfe's Tapu Fini is a cool tech, but it doesn't exert enough offensive pressure for my tastes, and my team basically needs the Calm Mind set because of the abundance of Arcanine.
    • I didn't want to have both Kartana and Celesteela on the team because the team would be too weak to Arcanine, although the thought of picking one for certain matchups is nice. I already have three physical attackers with no intimidate support, so replacing Porygon2 with Kartana seems like a bad idea for my tastes.
      • If you lead Tapu Fini/Kartana in front of Arcanine/Porygon2, assuming you use Ray Rizzo's EV spread, Kartana can't really KO a Porygon2 at +1...
        • +1 4 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Porygon2: 132-156 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
        • +1 4 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Porygon2: 160-190 (83.3 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
      • Because of this, Trick Room can also be a real problem if it gets set up.
    • More raw power is nice, but I play more defensively, so switching is something I do regularly.
    It's cool to see your original changes for my team, but I'll have to agree to disagree here. It's a cool tech, but it just doesn't fit my style of play. Thanks for the input though. Again, it's nice to hear you like my team so much to point you used it yourself. :)

EscapePlan and Ricky like this.
  5. keeeenseeee

keeeenseeee New Member

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Beast Boost
    Level: 50
    EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Power Gem
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Dazzling Gleam

I wanted to start off with a gimmick (this team was intended for battle spot, bite me) but not something too reliant on gimmicks. I settled for Scarf Nihilego because I realized just how strong it was. My original thought was just to scarf it enough to beat Alolan Ninetales and let an Adamant Garchomp go to town, but that idea was scrapped later on when other things outsped me.
    The 192 Speed and Timid nature guarantees outspeeding Timid Scarf Lele (a gimmick that I hate). It has a 62.5% chance to OHKO with Sludge bomb those same Scarf Leles (Lel).
    Additionally, I wasn't going to outspeed anything else in particular (Scarf Kartana is a tier ahead, and I don't think scarf Garchomps are Jolly so I didn't EV to outspeed that variant either) so I threw the rest into HP. This version already outspeeds some pretty ridiculous things, I didn't feel the need to outspeed more.
    Other notable damage: Timid Hidden Power Ice has an 18.8% OHKO on 4 HP Neutral Garchomps. I originally had a Modest version that had a higher chance to OHKO, but I think that I had other ways to chip the Garchomp before bringing in Nihilego for the win.
    Dazzling Gleam additionally was a last moment addition, but I found it incredibly useful in certain situations where spread Fairy type was super effective.
    Let me know if I can optimize here. The idea is to be able to outspeed some fast threats and deal significant damage and catch opponents off guard. Additionally, I've also found some success keeping Nihilego in the back to secure games.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab
    - Fire Fang

Pretty standard Garchomp here. I wanted a Garchomp because I liked Garchomp, and Garchomp is good, plus Garchomp is in the meta, so I decided "Why not go with a Garchomp?" I really like saying Garchomp. Garchomp. I wanted more speed so I went with Jolly. I honestly forgot what the 220 Atk EVs were for, so I'm open to exploring some options here. I wanted Fire Fang to deal with threats like Celesteela and Kartana. Overall I thought Garchomp's power and speed helped control some of my opponent's available options, and found Garchomp in almost every game because it made me feel safe. Garchomp.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
    Ability: Misty Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 28 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Protect
    - Calm Mind
    - Muddy Water
    - Moonblast

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Protect
    - Snarl
    - Flamethrower
    - Roar

Next I picked a Tapu and a support for the Tapu. I liked the idea of having Fini to be a little bit more defensively oriented (because of the whole scarf Nihilego fragility). Fini and Arcanine go together, so I rolled with that. Fini's calc are from somewhere and they are oriented towards bulk. But I have no idea so I'm also open to explore better options here. Arcanine's calcs are made to have a good chance to survive certain attacks from Garchomp and Fini I think, though I also forgot what I calculated for that so I'm also open to explore options. The 20 speed I believe was for speed creeping other Arcanines, and the 4 remainder I threw into SpAtk.
    Roar was the choice here for Arcanine because I felt weak to hard trick room setup teams. Still exploring this option here.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Discharge

At this point I wanted something to deal with Fini, Garchomp, and the likes, so I went with Tapu Koko. This thing is ridiculously fast and hits really hard with a Life Orb (OHKOing Garchomp with HP Ice a reliable % of times I believe). Overall no complaints with Tapu Koko. Does its job and covers the weaknesses of the others nicely.

Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Energy Ball
    - Bug Buzz
    - Mud Shot

This used to be a Kartana in order to provide more damage against Fini, Ninetales, Gastrodon, etc... But I just couldn't get my head around using Kartana. Plus I felt extremely weak to trick room, so I swapped Kartana out for Vikavolt. The thinking here was that I wanted to provide more damage against bulky water types and Gastrodon, as well as be a little on the slow side. Vikavolt was great because it avoids ground attacks with levitate (synergy with/against earthquake) and it powers up with Thunderbolt (Electric terrain). Assault Vest Vikavolt single-handedly won me games where trick room would've ended me had I still had Kartana, and I really like using it. I don't pick it very often, but when I do it gets the job done very well. Energy Ball because I could've chosen HP Ice, but felt that Scarf Nihilego and Koko provided enough HP-Ice-for-Garchomp coverage, plus I was extremely weak to Gastrodon. Vikavolt outspeeds Gastrodon and has a 56.3% chance to OHKO 252HP/252Sp.Def Boosting nature Gastrodon, which was good enough for me. Mud Shot proved super useful to reduce the speed of critical threats so I could outspeed them with mons in the back (notably Koko, Garchomp, (scarf) Kartana, etc...). Overall I'd say this pokemon felt like a slower harder hitting version of Rotom back when it was meta.

Overall I think I struggled the most (besides being outplayed) with Porygon2, more gimmicky set-up teams due to a lack of ability to manage/contain them, and heavy Trick Room (see Porygon2). There was also a Competitive Milotic with Adrenaline Orb floating around that made me really upset so any advice on how to round out the team to give me tools to manage against set-up would be great.
    I think the team's strong points are how fast the threats are. If I can clear a couple of threats from the opponents team and preserve key mons I can lock the game away easily. Additionally, I think scarf Nihilego can be seen as a gimmick, but its Poison/Rock typing and hard hitting power paired with ridiculous speed just limits the options of the opponents.
    I'm looking for advice on potential places where I can make EV alterations or moveset changes/role changes (ie: making Arcanine more offensively oriented as opposed to defensive support, or vice versa), and only in rare cases looking to make entire mon swaps (these would have to be really justified) since I think that each one of these Pokemon has a role on this team.

Thanks!

6. frequentflyer

frequentflyer New Member

Like your team, Nihilego has been one of my favorites, especially with all the Arcanine, Fini and Chomp.
    For your Arcanine set, you could consider using the electrium-z Wild Charge set that's popped up recently.
    And I know you said you're pretty attached to the bug, but something like Feint/Fake Out AV Hariyama could help your Porygon and gimmick matchup.
    Also, pretty sure Vikivolt doesn't get the electric terrain boost because it's levitating.

7. keeeenseeee

keeeenseeee New Member

What's the idea behind using Electrium-Z Wild Charge? Asking since I have very strong electric attack options in Koko and Vikavolt.
    Also you're right about levitate. I keep forgetting, lol.

8. Brantdman

Brantdman Member

Electrium-Z could fit in on your team well, considering you have only 1 switch in against water pokemon. It is a very strong counter to Fini/Araquanid and low defense pokemon in general. The idea is to switch in Koko and Z-move the same turn, thus picking up an unsuspecting KO.

9. keeeenseeee

keeeenseeee New Member

Interesting, I'll give it a test, thanks!

10. Kasoman

Kasoman Member

First off, you're wasting 4 EV's on HP. I'd move them to speed in case of other scarf mons speed creeping Lele. Can you also copy/paste the exact calcs for Fini? I'd actually like to take a look at it. You can also just go max speed modest if you really want Nihilego to deal a lot of damage. Most scarf Garchomp are adamant anyways, so you should be fine if Lele doesn't end up being a huge concern for you.

As for Garchomp, it seems like you didn't make specific calcs for the spread. I'd honestly just stick with max attack/max speed, or you could try Yoshi's spread, which is:

Garchomp (M) @ Groundium Z
    EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 20 Def / 12 SpD / 220 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab
    - Fire Fang
    - Protect

It's not max speed, but it speed creeps adamant Lycanroc outside of sand, it can survive a Tectonic Rage from opposing jolly Garchomp, and it also survives a Life Orb boosted HP Ice from timid Tapu Koko 13/16 times. Fire Fang is honestly a good option, so stick with it. Going with 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is also fine.

I definitely agree with Hariyama pick, and having Electrium Z on Arcanine is a cool option to try because it can get boosted by the terrain unlike Vikavolt. At least you can just wipe Milotic off the field. Haha. Usually, you want max speed jolly for that kind of Arcanine.

frequentflyer likes this.
  11. keeeenseeee

keeeenseeee New Member

This is some sweet stuff, thanks!

frequentflyer likes this.
  12. Bowflexer

Bowflexer Member

Hey Guys, I have played about 10 battles in the competition so far, I think 6/7 wins and 4/3 losses. So I would say moderate success, however I can definitely tell there are flaws in the team, so I would like some assistance!

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Throat Chop
    - Fake Out
    - Icicle Crash
    - Protect

This guy puts in work. One of my most used mons, it really helps with openers and the Fake Out pressure + damage has been key in giving me a number of early advantages.

Vanilluxe (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Icy Wind
    - Sheer Cold

Another pokemon that sees a decent amount of use. I use it to counter opposing weather, and once I remove anything Blizzard doesnt hit hard, it will sweep through teams.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

Despite success on past teams, Lele hasn't been helping so much this time around. It really lacks synergy with Weavile, something I didn't consider. I'm thinking about swapping it to Fini, I have a modest one in game.

Gastrodon-East (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Stockpile
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

I still don't know how I feel about this pokemon, I feel like it has potential but it just hasn't shown up in battles. If I replace Lele with Fini I'd likely have to replace this as well due to too many waters.

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 188 HP / 164 Def / 156 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower

Probably the most useful Pokemon on the team, moreso than Weavile even. It his hard, tanks just about everything, and has coverage to hit a lot supereffectively. Sludge Bomb for Tapus, Flamethrower for Kartana, TBolt for generic coverage, and Dragon Pulse just for damage. I used to run Draco Meteor instead of Pulse, but it was really having problems with my staying power and the stat drops wasnt worth the extra damage.

Vikavolt (F) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Energy Ball

Top 3 Mon with Weavile and Goodra, this thing hits hard. I get a lot of surprise knockouts with specs Tbolt as well as HP Ice on Chomps. Very happy with this mon. Energy Ball is for Gastrodon.

Regarding specific stuff I have trouble with, I'm having some issues with gimicky teams, I think I want Taunt and maybe some other options just to give me some room to outplay my opponent. I used to run Arcanine, but I was having lesser success with it, and felt it overshadowed by Goodra as a bulky special attacker. Any advice is appreciated!

13. Serpens007

Serpens007 New Member

Hi! Came here looking for some help regarding my Koko-Fini team.

Couldn't play all of the 45 matches of the Feb IC, but ended 15-7 with the following team

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Nature Power
    - Volt Switch
    - Protect

I could say that the team started with this Tapu Koko. I wanted to take advantage of the Terrains, with Nature Power having two options (and more if my opponents have other tapus) and Volt Switch to allow me to control said terrains. For example: having a Tapu Lele as opponent, Psy-Terrain stays, so my pokemon are threatened by a boosted Psychic OHKO, so I can Volt Switch into my Fini, switch the terrain and take that attack. HP Fire is there because of the other member of my core: Tapu Fini. HP Fire can help me taking down Kartana and other grass type. I was really thinking of HP Ice because of coverage, but I identify Kartana as a bigger threat to fini than, for example, Garchomp or other 2x weak to fire pokemon (Nature Power in Misty terrain usually takes non-scarfed Garchomp out quickly). Life Orb ensures tons of damage, though I am kind of thinking placing Normalium Z in this place.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 164 SpA / 44 SpD / 28 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Muddy Water
    - Protect
    - Moonblast
    - Calm Mind

The other member of the core is Tapu Fini, providing the much useful Misty Terrain for Koko's Nature Power, and preventing any status problems. Pretty standard Fini, with Calm Mind to set up stronger attacks, and Leftovers to provide longevity. EVs provide enough of everything, though maybe a bulkier set could help improving, what do you think? Also thinking into switching to a Specs set.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 188 HP / 164 Def / 156 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

Goodra is the multitask pokemon of the team. Provides the 4 elemental resistances to Water, Fire, Electric and the Grass immunity for many safe switch ins. Resists pretty much everything not being a Life Orb Lele's Moonblast or Fini's Moonblast (both 2HKO, but Goodra is slower). Also, the attacks provides good coverage to lots of Pokemon. Pretty good pokemon, though a little bit more situational.

Arcanine @ Electrium Z
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Extreme Speed
    - Protect

Max attack Arcanine with Z-Wild Charge. It really helps that Electrium-Z, when facing the likes of Mandibuzz or other flying or water seters. EV's are simple, but the 4HP allows it to resist unboosted Psychic from Lele.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 28 SpA / 140 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Return
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Trick Room

Mixed Porygon 2, who helps to take down opposing Garchomps and Trick Room teams. Standard Porygon2 anyway.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Poison Jab
    - Protect

Max speed Chomp with focus sash to ensure surving the likes of Ninetails, Porygon or other fairy attacks that can OHKO it. The electric immunity for some of a safe switch in for Fini.

So, after lots of battles with this team, found that mostly one type of teams gave me a lot of trouble: Trick Room teams. Porygon2 didn't help much as, after TR is set, if falls to a Hariyama's CC or just catch a Taunt user. Also, Alolan Marowak gave tons of trouble, since if I don't have Fini or Garchomp, I really can't it hit super effectively with other Pokemon, specially under Trick Room.

So, seeing this, I switched Porygon2 for this guy:

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    EVs: 68 HP / 196 Atk / 244 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Return
    - High Horsepower
    - Curse
    - Recycle

It can work in and out Trick Room thanks to the bulk and speed respectively, and threatens Marowak after a Curse. Though I am still not very convinced about this, specially taking out Porygon's Ice Beam of the team puts me in a tougher place against Chomp.

Then I faced another problem:

Scarfed or Life Orb Tapu Lele
    . Went to a PC this very weekend and fell under Lele's power, since I really don't have a way to resist in an efficient way the attacks of a LO Lele, and being faster than Koko is a huge problem actually.

So I am a little bit walled here since I really don't know how can I improve my team. Muk could be a choice for both Marowak and Lele, buth that makes me even more weak to ground.

How do you think my team could improve?

14. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

I use LO Mimikyu. Can OHKO both Marowak and Lele with Shadow Claw and can take a hit without any damage. Having 2 dragon types when so many fairies are in the meta game seems like it could be a risk.

15. TheChoujinVirus

TheChoujinVirus New Member

Preparing my team for the Alola X Kanto rumble, and just managed to make a build of the team here so far. Just need some tips (and probably a good last Pokemon)

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    Level: 65
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Heavy Slam
    The typical wall in the singles format, Celesteela's my Anti-Tapu as well as my go to the special wall in situations against annoying types. Leech Seed is Celesteela's healing method along with Leftovers as well as Heavy Slam for STAB. Protect is added to scout and see if my opponent will choice into a super effective move, therefore letting me swap into something not very effective if need be. Flamethrower is added so in case I run into other steel type Pokemon or another Celesteela. In a way, it gives Celesteela a method to at least not rely heavily on Heavy Slam.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Haze
    The anti-setup and status user of the team. Toxapex serves to wall physical attackers and burns said physical attackers with Scald or whittle them down with Toxic if I run into something bulky. Recover helps keep Toxapex in the fight much longer while Haze is the key in preventing setups like belly drum, curse, swords dance or if someone tries to Baton Pass an Evoboost. Regenerator helps Toxapex regain some lost health when switching out of a dangerous threat.

Zapdos @ Shell Bell
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Discharge
    - Roost
    - Heat Wave
    - Toxic
    Chose this one as I've recalled how nasty Zapdos is thanks to it learning Heat Wave (and thanks to PS, it's apparently valid so I can go for it). Zapdos here is not just there to deal with Water and Steel types, but it's also made to be the true anti-Celesteela/Kartana. Discharge for STAB and does more damage than Thunderbolt. Heat Wave gives Zapdos coverage against Pokemon that can resist Discharge like Kartana or Lucario. Roost is Zapdos' main healing option (Shell Bell is there to give some form of healing since I cannot have more than one leftovers equipped) Toxic is the last measure made to at least deal with bulky Pokemon.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 76 SpD / 48 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Shadow Bone
    - Bonemerang
    - Protect
    This is the electric type protection I use to help cover Celesteela and Toxapex as well as the typical offensive to the team. Thick Club boosts A-Marowak's attack greatly while Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone are there to do STAB. Bonemerang is selected due to the fact it's not penalized badly by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain. Was split between Will-o-Wisp or Protect, but decided to go with Protect in a way to lock choice users into one move.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Moonblast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    The typical Tapu Pokemon used in battles, but this build is a Modest nature with Choice Specs. I opted to put in Psyshock to give Tapu Lele some force against special walls like Blissey. Shadow Ball helps deal with Ghost types while Thunderbolt gives me an alternative to deal damage against types that resist Psyshock like Celesteela, Skarmory or others. Simply put, the pure offensive type.

Wigglytuff @ Life Orb
    Ability: Competitive
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Wish
    - Flamethrower
    Wigglytuff is the black stallion of the group, as I was in need of filling that last spot. Someone suggested Wigglytuff provide "Dark and Ghost" checks with moves like Wish to help keep it healthy, Hyper Voice and Dazzling Gleam for stab offensive, and flamethrower to check for steel types (however, Wiggly's not the strongest, so I am looking for a better replacement). Competitive helps me avoid status lowering like Intimidate.

I'm just trying to find that last replacement and see if any EVs would be need to be altered for this tournament

16. ModernGamer

ModernGamer Member

@Serpens007 Your post/team is a few weeks old, but I'll take a look at it for you.

Standard Koko set for the Koko + Fini combo.

The set looks good! Like you said though, you need to modify your EV spread + nature to be bulkier should you want to stick to the leftovers set. It's important to build your Pokemon to fit their role on the team. In this case, building a bulkier set will make it survive more and function better as a defensive pivot (like you mentioned in the koko set.)

Although Goodra works well as a defensive pivot and has resistances/attacks that compliment your other Pokemon, you might have a problem with the team becoming too passive. This becomes even more of an issue when you face against other bulky Pokemon. Tapu Fini and Porygon2/Snorlax fill a similar role on your team too.

The issue with changing Goodra out of this slot is that it checks a few niche Pokemon that would otherwise give your team issues, namely nihilego, tapu bulu, and some variants of lilligant + torkoal. You might have to change around more than one Pokemon on your team (unless you are fine with not covering certain niche matchups).

This set looks solid and fits the current team well.

Since most of your team is fairly standard, this slot is REALLY important. More likely than not, whatever is in this slot will be the glue that holds your team together. Porygon2 is probably the better choice for your team.

For one, trick room is always good to have since you can reverse opposing trick room and set it up when it is advantageous. You can probably switch goodra for a pokemon that functions as a slow mode to abuse trick room.

It might be worth looking in to running shadow ball on P2 too, since you mentioned that you feel weak to Tapu Lele/Marowak.

Looks good. I recommend switching Garchomp's item to groundium-z, as it might help a lot against marowak, tapu lele, and Muk. While surviving an attack with sash might be nice, having the extra offensive pressure should help your team out a lot. Your bulky defensive pivots are there for a reason :d

Just remember to keep a balance between offense and defense, and build your Pokemon to better fill their role on the team. Ask yourself what each Pokemon is supposed to be doing.

17. Serpens007

Serpens007 New Member

Thanks for your time and response.

I tested a lot the team, both online and in live events, and made some adjustment:

Switched Goodra for Muk

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 108 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Knock Off
    - Taunt
    - Protect

Mainly because of the Lele threat, and Tapu threat in general. Muk is an amazing threat to any non-dark/poison resistant Pokemon, and works great cheking what once threatened my team.

BUT, this made me a little bit more weak to Garchomp, since Arcanine and Koko's bulk aren't enough to survive an Earthquake, and made the late game troublesome if Chomp is still around and I don't have the terrain for a Koko's Moonblast (and some Chomps even survive that so, yeah, that's a problem)

So I did another adjustment to bulk. Since the team is a lot built around switch ins, I tried to make Fini and Arcanine more resistant. The initial Fini took 2HKO from Lele, so switching to provide the terrain for Koko and taking this kind of damage while doing it, then geting outsped the next turn, wasn't good. And Arcanine switching to intimidate and getting KO'd anyway wasn't good either so I put these two:

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
    EVs: 228 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 28 SpD / 156 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Extreme Speed
    - Wild Charge
    - Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 40 SpA / 124 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Swagger
    - Moonblast
    - Scald
    - Heal Pulse

The bulkier Arcanine resisted a little more while still outspeeding and dealing damage to gyarados and other pokemon. Aguav Beryy provided that extra turn of ExSpe pressure.

Fini being bulkier also meant that it would have that much offensive pressure so that's when Swagger and Heal Pulse came. Swaggin' Muk, Arcanine (compensating the less EVs spent on Atk), Porygon2 or Garchomp, and healing Muk and Koko helped a lot in the team.

And last, but not least, some switching to Koko:

Tapu Koko @ Normalium Z
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Nature Power
    - Volt Switch
    - Protect

Now a normalium Z, HP Ice Koko for that late game pressure and further terrain advantage.

Then, the team seemed good, but the big threat became, and stayed in Garchomp. I kept Porygon2 because of it, but even then, the Team stays too weak to it, specially on the Late game. That added to bad luck with some speed ties (Garchomp + Muk on my side vs a single Chomp, speed tied, and both my pokemon goes down due to it), and the likes, I haven't been able to succeed with this.

So I'm either looking for a different team, or a way to counter Chomp's pressure.

I was thinking in adding Ninetails in some slot, who would give that threat to Garchomp, and also could provide the Aurora Veil that can make My team more lasting.

But anyway, I'm a little lost here, because I know sometimes I don't play the best options, but in any case, even with all the stuff put to mitigate the Chomp omnipresence, is still a major problem.

What would you advise me in this moment?

18. Mega Tapu Bulu

Mega Tapu Bulu New Member

Hello, guys! I'd like an evaluation on my team.

Basically, I 've been playing using this team for weeks now, but I feel stuck. I can't get over the 1400s on showdown often,and this team seems a tad inneficient at times. But whenever I look at it closely, I think the team is not that far from perfect, and most of the problem is my own lack of experience. Still, I'd like to get some external views on it to see if there is anything that could be improved before I dive into WiFi.

Here's the team:

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
    EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Moonblast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
    Lonely Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice Beam
    - Poison Jab
    - Protect

Mandibuzz @ Psychic Seed
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Tailwind
    - Taunt
    - Roost

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab
    - Curse
    - Protect

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Aurora Veil
    - Protect

Some context: this team started as a 5-man hyper-offensive core: Lele, Pheromosa, Muk, Ninetales, and Arcanine. The five have a pretty good synergy. It took me a long while to pick the 6th mon though. I went through Milotic, Gyarados, and a few others, until I settled down on Mandibuzz (I was badly in need of a way to deal with Drifblim), and it seems like the best option so far.

Before Mandibuzz, I had Choice Scarf on Lele, in order to have a fast mon other than Pheromosa. But after I introduced Tailwind to the team, I realized I could afford to give Lele an item that gave it more flexibility, and I settled for LO because I think it gives an advantage over more things than the Z-crystal does, getting a bunch of easy OHKOs, while letting me use my full power more than one time.

Anyway, Lele is the main source of offense. I use it on 100% of matches, and if it faints without killing anything, I'm in trouble. Pheromosa is another strong attacker, though it is more vulnerable to opposing counter-plays and depends more on match-up. Arcanine is a good attacker that provides offensive support in the form of Intimidate and WoW. Ninetales and Mandibuzz are the main sources of support, though their offensive power is kind of lacking. Finally, Muk is the glue. It beats a bunch of things that would give my team a lot of trouble, adds much necessary bulk when I'm in a difficult position, and is great on Trick Room.

The EV spreads are mostly copied somewhere from Trainer Tower, though Lele's spread is my own idea (outspeeds Gyarados and gives a perfect LO/Hail number).

Here's what is giving me the most trouble right now:

- Nihilego: This guy is the bane of my team. Muk beats it, but not fast enough. Pheromosa beats it if it doesn't get speed control or a timely protect. Lele actually needs speed control to beat it, or it gets wrecked. The rest are dead weight against it. It hits like a truck, it has trick room, it is fast and deals SE damage to 4/6 of my team.

- Marowak: this guy is less of a threat because Lele can OHKO it and is faster, but it still checks most of my team and is a hazard on TR. Muk and Mandi beat it, but the other three are dead weight.

- Gigalith: If I can remove its weather, then sure, it can be dealt with. But if it removes my own weather... I'm screwed. It's either land a Z-move with Pheromosa or lose the game.

- Celesteela: this is a weird one because my team is somewhat equipped to deal with it, but one misplay and it rolls all over with. Arcanine beats it. Pheromosa does with some help. Lele has Thunderbolt just not to be a sitting duck. The other three are sitting ducks, though.

Everything else can be dealt with. Koko tends to be a problem but that's more of a matter of plays than match-up. Mimikyu with Mental Herb is kind of a pain. Araquanid can be very dangerous to it. Mudsdale has the luxury of being a TR user that destroys Muk, so it's hard to deal with. And I think this is it.

I've had multiple ideas to improve this team. I think the one sticking out like a sore thumb is Garchomp (most of the threats are weak to ground). I'm not sure what to remove for it though, or if it has actual synergy with the other mon (like, I have two mon weak to ground, and if I remove something like Ninetales or Mandi I'm adding a lot of Intimidate vulneravility). Otherwise, I've had multiple ideas, but I'll let you guys come up with them. Maybe you can see something I'm not seeing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. Mega Tapu Bulu

Mega Tapu Bulu New Member

Ok so I put Garchomp in place of Ninetales and so far I'm liking the results. I don't like the newfond weakness to enemy Garchomps, though. And Celesteela is still a pain in the ***.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  20. TheMinimizer

TheMinimizer Member

So, since Sheffield Regionals in March, I've not been doing so hot. My beloved Vikavolt team gets destroyed by DrifLele, so after multiple attempts, here's finally a team I feel comfortable with the the current meta.

Lillie (Nihilego) @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Power Gem
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

On the school bus one morning, I got thinking to myself about VGC, as per usual. I tried to figure out the best way to defeat the common combo. I looked at Celesteela, Gigalith and Fini, but none of them seemed excellent against the Balloon and Fairy. That's when Nihilego popped into my head. With good SpD it can easily take on Drifblim, and outspeeds Lele with its great speed tier. Perfect! I decided to go with LOrb because some Leles can take a sash sludge bomb, which ruins my plan. The max speed and HP ice make it so this can take on Garchomp quite well.

Layla (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
    EVs: 164 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Psychic
    - Taunt
    - Protect

Hindenburg (Drifblim) @ Psychic Seed
    Ability: Unburden
    EVs: 4 HP / 132 Def / 148 SpA / 60 SpD / 164 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Tailwind
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sunny Day

I then realised that a Tailwind means that opposing Lele would outspeed my Nihilego, so I decided to add tailwind of my own. If you can't beat em, join em. Drifblim is just Shomas spread but with some bulk instead of special attack, as Drifblim going down turn 1 is sometimes and issue. I went with Sunny Day as Double Duck and Gigalith, and kind of Ninetales aswell all give this team some trouble. I originally had specs Lele, however I'm not too big a fan of choice items in general. After I made a change to a later member of the team, the Z spot was open, so I chose to use Psychium Z. Taunt is mainly to stop TR but it can help a lot vs set up mons like Fini and Lax. The spread is the standard Z set, with a little bit taken out of SpA and Def to speed creep other Lele.

Ramsey (Kartana) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Smart Strike
    - Sacred Sword
    - Protect

This was originally an SD Chomp. However, I found myself struggling with it, especially against Fini. This led me to put in this Kartana and also freed up the Psychium Z on Lele. This is just a very standard set.

Rufus (Arcanine) (M) @ Iapapa Berry
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Extreme Speed
    - Wild Charge
    - Protect

Arcanine. Everyone has an Arcanine. You have an Arcanine. I have an Arcanine. I like this Arcanine. Very powerful, quite bulky. Not much to explain. The tiny bit of speed is to outspeed Lele. Just 3 strong attacks. This is also my main way of taking on stuff like Celesteela and Kartana.

Dave (Snorlax) (M) @ Aguav Berry
    EVs: 68 HP / 136 Atk / 148 Def / 156 SpD
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 2 Spe
    - Return
    - High Horsepower
    - Curse
    - Recycle

Now, I was struggling a bit with TR teams. What I wanted was a blanket TR check. 2 of these exist in the meta right now. Gigalith, which I wasn't too keen on as I wouldn't be able to use my favourite Gigalith set, Rockium Z, and CurseLax. I love me some curse Lax. Take out their fighting type and have their special attackers weakened, Snorlax wins. This has won me so many 2, 3 and even 4v1s. I believe the SpD is to take on opposing Z Lele. The attack is to 2hko Fini at +1. This is probably my favourite mon in the entire format as it blanket checks a whole team comp extremely well.

I feel like this is a very solid team with neutral to positive matchups against most of the meta with 3 noticeable exceptions.

Double duck can kill of Drifblim with a Hydro Vortex and proceed to set up its own Tailwind, which can be a struggle.

Even though I have a few ways to hit Fini hard, it can still pose quite a threat.

Pheromosa is scary, especially when it has its own twind behind it. It will almost always get a kill if it has Tailwind.

What do you think of my team and how do you think I can improve it? I leave that to you, and I bid you adieu.