Pinned RMT Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chiron, Jan 30, 2017.

1. everybody

everybody New Member

...ummm it seems that no one has responded here in a month, but I don't see anywhere else to post this so I must try.
    I'm looking for suggestions on this vgc team that went 23-7 in May's online IC (discluding DCs by my opponent and my shoddy route r[trust me, it dies before a match even starts or before I win]) and it also peaked 73rd in the Showdown! ladder with a rating of 1724. This team focuses on a underused mon named Kommo-o, with the idea that I should just pair it with Tapu Killers. Here goes.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Beast Boost
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Smart Strike
    - Sacred Sword
    - Night Slash

The cookie cutter of the team. Jolly scarf allows it to outspeed some swift swim Golduck or bulky Lele in Tailwind. All of its stab attacks OHKO the tapus if not put them in range to drop to Kommo's Flamethrower. Night slash is for Marowak, Metagross, and sometimes drifblim. Also 4 HP evs help you live jolly sash kartana's sacred sword(with the highest roll), and take a turn of hail damage, ending up with 1 HP. Trust me, that saved me once.

Megatank @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 228 HP / 228 Atk / 52 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Stone Edge
    - Rock Slide
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake

Tapu slayer #2, I took this set from the trainer tower's starter EV spreads and it really shows off the sturdiness of this mon. It also helps me vs trick room, and vs weather wars. It can tolerate all the special attacking tapus, and land huge blows to them. It can also survive Kartana's Leaf Blade, 2 heavy slams from 44+ celesteela (most of the time), and with friend guard, it can survive 2 earthquakes from jolly garchomp.

Salazzle (F) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Oblivious
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Overheat
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Fake Out
    - Encore

Tapu Killer #3, this one OHKOes bulu. It also provides fake out support and makes sure that no mons try anything cheeky thanks to encore, an incredible support move. Oblivious allows you to encore stuff without getting taunted by Whimsicott or Murkrow. Salazzle also outspeeds Alolan Persian and modest Koko, so it can encore the former into fake out or sludge bomb the latter for serious damage. Overheat is to hammer celesteela... or at least tries to hammer it. She is probably tied with Kommo-o for most used mon on the team. Sometimes gigalith's sand breaks my sash but that's fine.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
    Ability: Friend Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Follow Me
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect
    - After You

I took this spread from Giovanni's evoboost team. It helps it survive Kartana's smart strike and nihilego's sludge bomb. Support mon. Helps vs trick room and 2hkoes garchomp. Friend guard is a treasure that helps Gigalith become a fat wall of muscle, helps kartana survive powerful resisted special attacks, and helps kommo-o survive koko's dazzling gleam (43.8% chance to OHKO if Life Orb) or mimikyu's play rough.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Power Gem
    - Protect
    - Thunder/thunderbolt

Tapu Killer #4. Outspeeds lele, Ohkoes koko, bulu and offensive lele. Took this EV spread from trainer tower too. It gives this mon minimum life orb recoil and makes beast boost raise special attack. With friend guard or sand, nihilego can survive a psychic terrain psychic from modest Lele. Thunder is a desparate attempt to KO Celesteela. I've tried thunderbolt, but its lack of killing power just isn't making it useful. This does allow nihilego to take advantage of rain or electric terrain. Sadly this mon- like salazzle -loses hard to speed control so I put protect for this reason.

Komoricarry @ Fightinium Z
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Clanging Scales
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

While this mon is the main mon of the team, I took this set from someone in the creative/niche sets thread on smogon. The speed evs allow it to outspeed most support arcanines. What drew me to this mon is that unlike garchomp its all out pummeling OHKOes snorlax, and puts specially bulky porygon2 in the red hp zone. It also puts a protecting kartana to its sash, and ohkoes most offensive arcanines.
    This mon by itself beats the lilligant and torkoal lead and can ohko either with all out pummeling. Its immune to spore and sleep powder thanks to overcoat. It doesn't care too much about muk, kartana, and non snarl arcanine unless you are at -2 defense. Also note that Clanging scales+All out pummeling KOes alolan muk. Another perk is its rarity. People may not know what it does so they waste time trying to put it to sleep or burn it. Its problem is that all the special attacking tapus ohko it and kommo-o can't touch fini at all. Clanging scales is a decently powerful spread move with perfect accuracy. Flamethrower is for celesteela...kinda. Protect so that his teammate can kill a tapu.

Leads: [disclaimer] not all lead matchups will play like this, but these are the most common scenarios I've dealt with.

Vs Trick room leads- Salazzle+Kommo-o: My most used lead. salazzle can fake out opposing hariyama. Then Kommo-o ohkos or puts porygon2 at death percents. Clefairy is often in the back if the setter is porygon2 or mimikyu or if there is a hariyama in trick room.

Vs Double Duck- Salazzle+Kommo-o: salazzle threatens pelliper with fake out and kommo-o can just clanging scales or all-out pummeling to damage or ohko golduck respectively. All golduck can do is damage, but never ohko. Often have gigalith or kartana in the back to make sure pelliper doesn't hurricane kommo-o.

Vs Eevee+Smeargle- Salazzle+Kommo: This matchup is almost a free win. The opponent has to switch eevee out to a tapu to stand a chance. Other than that, Salazzle fake outs smeargle, kommo-o ohkoes or badly damages an eevee depending on if it uses protect or not. If it does protect, then the next turn smeargle can't stop kommo-o with because clanging scales(will kill eevee) and overcoat. If it chooses to wide guard salazzle koes eevee instead. Often have kartana in the back to sponge a spore for salazzle or fight the would-be-recipients. It gets tricky if its clefairy instead of smeargle, as all out pummeling into a protect (48.7%-57.4%)+Clanging scales(43.2%-50.6%) has a chance to not KO eevee and then you're in trouble.

Vs Torkoal+Lilligant- Kommo-o+Anyone: Kommo-o beats this core by itself, so I use kartana as its ally to lure the target into a false sense of security, then I switch into gigalith to eliminate sun, and Kommo-o ohkoes either mon. I usually choose torkoal. I can also do kommo-o+salazzle just cause its my go-to if I don't know how they'll lead and salazzle can survive a hit and deal big damage to lilligant. Worst case scenario torkoal switches to lele or fini, and lilligant z-nature powers kommo-o. Never happened before but you never know.

Vs Celesteela+Chomp- Salazzle+Clefairy: Fake out celesteela, ice beam chomp. From there its all mindgames unfortunately... I often keep kartana or kommo-o in the back to revenge kill chomp.

Vs DrifLele- Salazzle+Kartana: Salazzle can encore drifblim into tailwind, while kartana may ohko lele. Watch out for drif's shadow ball onto kartana or lele surviving smart strike. For those reasons either slot may be replaced with gigalith.

Vs Koko+Raichu- Gigalith+Clefairy: Gigalith shrugs off all of their hits and ohkoes raichu with earthquake and has a small chance to ohko koko after sand and LO recoil. Clefairy just protects for sustain. I often have nihilego in the back to thunder celesteelas or survive either of those leads' attacks due to sand or friend guard or both.

Those are scenarios I remembered at the moment.

Threats:
    Scarf Chomp: It used to be an autolose for my team so I put ice beam on clefairy. Even then it still puts me at a disadvantage no matter what as rough skin breaks salazzles sash if I fake out it and nothing on my team can reliably ohko it. Groundium Z chomp is also a nightmare but its prone to encore and decent chip damage from nihilego. Tectonic rage doesn't ohko kommo-o either so that's a plus. I tried bulu over nihilego but that raised my weakness to arcanine and the next mon in this list.

Celesteela: Too much bulk and its got SEmoves for kartana, clefairy, gigalith, and nihilego... My best hope is to encore it to something useless, or double on it with Overheat+Anything or Thunder+Anything. I always feel at a disadvantage when I fight one.

Tailwind: I have good handling on trick room but tailwind gets ugly too fast since I have no form of speed control. The tailwind setters are also quite annoying to deal with.

Buzzwole: If its assault vest or in rain it becomes very difficult to 2hko. Its also capable of ohkoing half my team. I keep clefairy around just to help kommo-o, salazzle, or gigalith survive a hit. Clefairy also keep sits superpower spam in check, but then I have to be wary of the poison jab mind games.

Those are the mons I remember atm...

Last Notes: when this team broke past 1700 rating, they fell by a little over 100 but made it back past 1700 two times. So I see that as consistency. Unfortunately third times the charm and now I'm struggling to get back to top 500. I believe I'm making poor plays.

Thank you for taking time to read this, and any feedback is deeply appreciated!!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Eviltwin likes this.