Salamence Metagross

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LasermanZ!, Sep 9, 2017.

1. LasermanZ!

LasermanZ! New Member

From what I understand of this recent pair/core, Salamence uses Bulldoze and Metagross with it's Clear Body ability doesn't get it's stats dropped, but Bulldoze does activate the Weakness Policy Metagross has. With the lowered speed of the opponents, Salamence and Metagross sweep. Do I have this right so far? What I would like to know are about any counters/checks, common teammates, placings, strategies built around the team, etc. If anyone would be willing to discuss or share their thoughts, please do so.

2. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

I don't know the ways most people check this core, but I have a few I personally like. The best thing is simply to KO one of the core members before Bulldoze goes off. A fast Ice Beam can deal with Mence, and there are several things that can KO Metagross, like Tectonic Rage Garchomp and Z-Focus Blast on Pheromosa. There are more, but those are just examples. Burning Metagross is also good, as this effectively cancels the Atk boost from Weakness Policy. Another option is Trick Room. Since they're already lowering your speed, Trick Room can be a great way to deal with the relatively fast duo - just make sure your 'Mons can actually pressure them. Gigalith, for instance, won't hurt Metagross in or out of Trick Room, but other things like Torkoal and Mudsdale can really bring on the pressure.

LasermanZ! likes this.
  3. DiegoDM26

DiegoDM26 New Member

For that reason those salamences are bulky assault vest and can protect metagross and bulldoze to have the faster pokemon on the field

The best way to counter that core are acid spray in scarf nihilego+thinks like dazzling gleam koko (life orb or a higher booster), blizzard ninetales etc, or z mimikyu, with play rought twinkle tackle can ko salamence and deal a lot of damage to metagross with never ending N. or ko it if its have shadow ball, another option may be porygon2+mudsdale

LasermanZ! likes this.
  4. 123e45

123e45 New Member

Persian is a really good check for this core, as you can fakeout salamence and do massive damage to metagross with foul play, even before it gets its boosts. Electric z tapu koko is also pretty decent, as you can protect on the bulldoze and kill the metagross on the next turn. Celesteela is also another great mon to check this core since you resist both of metagross' stabs and flamethrower from mence doesn't do too much damage.

LasermanZ! likes this.
  5. Pudgeysaurus

Pudgeysaurus New Member

Celesteela walls this combo pretty hard, if under Trick Room slow Gyro Ball users are going to enjoy the extra base power.

Fake out users will stun this combination by pressuring Salamence while fast special attackers can cripple Metagross should Salamence be holding Assault Vest.

Torkoal and Ninetails-A pressure Metagross and Salamence respectively, or Expert Belt Modest Pheramosa can 1 or 2 hko the Salamence should it not carry Assault Vest.

Bear in mind I'm basing this off of my experience in the 07 format so if I have anything wrong don't hesitate to correct it.