Should I still give it a shot to qualify for worlds this late w 120 CP

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Gumi, May 12, 2017.

1. Gumi

Gumi Member

So I recently started VGC around late december. I have not played in any competitive tournaments before this season as I mostly play TCG (not pkmn tcg tho), but I feel I have the concept for good team building down and I'm not unfamiliar with competitive pressure due to my TCG experience where I usually play at high levels as well. I feel like I seem to have taken to this game faster than anyone else at my locals and have made top 8 at the athens regionals, plus topped at a few MSS and PC to get around 120 CP right now.

I can make it to two more MSS and several more PC this season as well as the international challenge. While I'm not 100% sure I could make first, I feel confident I can at least sneak into top cuts in the events and I really enjoy playing and testing teams because I have been an avid pokemon fan for YEARS and this format uses some of my favorites

But also since I'm a girl (admittedly 23 years old and pretty capable of traveling independently) my parents are stupid about me going to events and very few friends (b/c small VGC comm locally and I suck at making friends at events) are able to accompany me so it'll be a lot lonelier of a journey than if I went to say TCG events with my TCG friends. Plus hotel expenses are greater alone or I will have to room with people I don't really know or not really comfortable with >.o

So idk if I want to struggle that much. Is worlds worth it? What else happens there besides matches are there any cool side events/features/etc? And any tips on getting VGC friends for hotel splits and testing?

2. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Hello and a belated welcome to you, Gumi! I'll be tackling your questions and concerns from my perspective and experiences.

I have not played in any competitive tournaments before this season as I mostly play TCG (not pkmn tcg tho), but I feel I have the concept for good team building down and I'm not unfamiliar with competitive pressure due to my TCG experience where I usually play at high levels as well.

Your intuition is likely right on the money! A close friend of mine (and an accomplished yet overlooked player), @iMagikarp came to VGC after playing and competing in Yu-Gi-Oh. Additionally, some well known figures in VGC history such as Alex Ogloza didn't start playing in VGC, but rather in the Pokémon TCG. As of this point, there are quite a handful of players I can name who either dabble or double up playing in both VGC and TCG formats offered by TPCi. Tournament life as experienced by TCG players is not too different from VGC.

I feel like I seem to have taken to this game faster than anyone else at my locals and have made top 8 at the athens regionals, plus topped at a few MSS and PC to get around 120 CP right now. I can make it to two more MSS and several more PC this season as well as the international challenge.

120 CP is certainly a solid chunk, however at this point in the season it would take a deep run at the International Championships in Indy in order to qualify. With two more MSS and PCs maxing at 2 results this cycle, if we assume you win all of the events to maximize CP gain, you'd end up with 120 + 100 (MSS) + 40 (PC) + 30 (International Challenge May), which puts you at a pre-Internats CP of 300ish. And that's assuming best results! This means you would need a Top 8 (or better!) finish at Indy to get your invite. If you've been following the scene since December, you might know that @Thowra won the Australian International Championship as a relatively unknown player. So, it's not totally impossible, but it's also not likely.

While I'm not 100% sure I could make first, I feel confident I can at least sneak into top cuts in the events and I really enjoy playing and testing teams because I have been an avid pokemon fan for YEARS and this format uses some of my favorites

Now this is good to know because sometimes people don't always have a solid motivation for playing in these events. If you truly enjoy the playing and testing of teams AND you get to use your favorites in the process, then by all means go for it! It's gotten a little tougher to play "for fun" in the last few years due to entry fees, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to have fun (and trying to win) at all the events I go to. This kind of motivation is important, but so is the drive to win, so knowing what you want to accomplish and expect of yourself to accomplish when playing at these events can be factors in making your decision.

But also since I'm a girl (admittedly 23 years old and pretty capable of traveling independently) my parents are stupid about me going to events and very few friends (b/c small VGC comm locally and I suck at making friends at events) are able to accompany me so it'll be a lot lonelier of a journey than if I went to say TCG events with my TCG friends.

I can't really be one to talk about going to events since I didn't start going to events outside of my state until 2014, and even then it was with a group of 3-4 friends who all intended to compete. Also, I don't have a car, so I'm pretty dependent on finding someone to ride with. Even getting 1 or 2 people to journey with you helps, though if that doesn't end up happening then depending on where you're coming from, I can see it being lonely and potentially miserable. Don't worry about the friend-making bit, as it took me somewhere from 1-3 years of playing only a handful of events a year to actually form something of a friendship; these things take time and if you're introverted like me, require a bit of effort to go through.

Plus hotel expenses are greater alone or I will have to room with people I don't really know or not really comfortable with >.o
    So idk if I want to struggle that much. Is worlds worth it? What else happens there besides matches are there any cool side events/features/etc? And any tips on getting VGC friends for hotel splits and testing?

Worlds this year may not be particularly worth it for your specific situation. For me, it's definitely not viable unless I come into possession of a lot of money/earn travel stipends in order to afford the trip, even if I do qualify. However, the International Championships in Indy will likely provide a similar experience to Worlds, but on a slightly smaller, less impressive scale. Side events are plentiful, and some (myself included) will argue that grinding up tickets from side events can be a good way to offset the price of the trip by selling the prizes. There's usually a few other fun events, TCG online stations, Pokkén stations, and a couple of vendors like Collector's Cache and Troll and Toad, too.

Some words I have regarding getting involved in the community and making friends: Reach out on Twitter! Unlike most TCG players who in my experience prefer Facebook groups, most VGC players prefer Twitter. If you want to get in contact with people to split hotels, there are usually always people looking to split or reduce costs further. For testing, there are always some looking for bo3s or just playing on Battle Spot. It might seem a little daunting to just start messaging others on Twitter, but many in the community are kind-natured and helpful people. Getting your foot in the door is always the hardest part, but once it's there, a whole lot of connections open up.

Final suggestion on whether to try for Worlds:
    Go to Internationals in Indy if you can, qualifying for Worlds will be hard but still doable. Both events are definitely worth going to, though, and if you're intent on trying to compete more in the coming years, formats often extend through the Fall Regionals cycle, so it may be more worth it to skip out on Worlds this year and try for next year's. Worlds and Internats are like giant, extended, Pokémon parties, and everyone involved shares a love of the franchise and the game. Ultimately what you do is up to you, but no matter your decision I hope you continue to attend events and play!

3. Gumi

Gumi Member

thank you for your comprehensive reply! After reading your replies I think I realized more than worrying about qualifying for worlds (which seems cool but I've never been too big on the glory of it) I think I'm just more nervous about having a bad time at internationals alone. I'll plan go to the MSS and see if I can meet other Florida VGC players planning on going and try to socialize more and try not to come out looking too stupid lol. And if any are planning to go to the international challenge i'll try to work something out then

Either way it is good experience and battling with others always gives me that great adrenaline rush lol

4. Thowra

Thowra Member

As long as you compete you always have a shot at qualifying!

Regarding splitting hotels etc, I wouldn't really recommend rooming with people you've never met face to face before and if your friends aren't able to travel with you, getting a hotel for one might be worth considering. It does get very expensive though (I went to Melbourne alone x.x) so if you can meet people at PCs and MSSs prior to Indy it's a good place to find people (who you're comfortable around) that may want to split hotels. Don't worry about having a 'bad time' at Internats alone, you will meet new friends there, the VGC community is extremely friendly :)

Good luck!

5. Tamtam

Tamtam Member

If you have TCG-playing friends, why not travel with them? TCG and VG events (almost) always take place together, after all, so that could be one way to get around traveling alone. I can definitely relate to being a bit scared to travel by yourself, since I am too (and also a 23 y/o with parents who don't really want me to go anywhere on my own, figures lol)! Other than that, I think asking people at local events or in local FB groups if they'd be interested in going to a bigger event is a good idea. That's something that's worked quite well for me before.