Silvally's Journey: FE Conquest Lunatic Run

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JHufself, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Hey, FE enthusiasts! It's me, Jon "JHufself" Hu. If you're reading this and don't know what a Fire Emblem game is, you might want to get to know the jargon because I will be throwing it around. And a lot of it, I might add.

Anyways, in light of all the Fire Emblem related announcements (Heroes in like 4 days?!), I really got in the mood to just play through some games again. Now, I am a full time student, so don't expect this to be done in like a week. But do expect a pretty detailed tale of Conquest, since I will be playing for keeps (low reset number, turn count, etc.) As it is my second run, I won't be covering the plot. Play it yourself if you want that. However, there are still some spoilers that are obviously gameplay related.

For my Protagonist, I named him Silvally. No real reason other than Silvally being a radical Pokémon. Asset was Str, Flaw was Res, Secondary class was Samurai.

Onto the good stuff though. I decided to spare you all the humdrum of the first five chapters by just running through them. I spent 3 resets on Chapter 5, so that's kind of important I guess. So our first chapter is Chapter 6!

Chapter 6: Embrace the Dark
    [​IMG]

Before:
    Silvally Lv8
    Felicia Lv5

Very simple chapter, as it usually is. I fed all of the experience to Silvally and Felicia, as they are the only units who can gain experience in this chapter. Likewise, they are the only units who can gain support points, too. Other than that, I just used Leo to soften up the Hoshidan royals sans Ryoma and finished them off with either Felicia or Silvally. Xander somehow scored a 15% accuracy counterattack on Ryoma as well.

Resets added: 0
    Total Resets: 3
    After:
    Silvally Lv9
    Felicia Lv6

Mindape and R Inanimate like this.
  2. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Day 2, I double dipped so I got 2 more chapters done!

Chapter 7: A Dragon's Decree
    [​IMG]

This chapter might start with only Silvally and Felicia, but by the end we gain the help of Elise, Silas, Arthur and Effie. By this chapter, a Felicia + Silvally pair up allowed Silvally to ORKO the Faceless pretty easily, only taking 7-8 damage back. The annoying parts of this chapter were the boss, who has a skill that prevents doubling as well as passive damage skills like Savage Blow and Grisly Wound, and two pairs of Faceless who have Seal Speed. I decide to throw Effie with Silas as a support, which proved useful as it allowed Silas to usually 2HKO the enemies thanks to the boosts. For the most part, I was able to position units around the wooded tiles in the beginning to avoid getting hit too hard by enemies, eventually choking the southern part of the map when enemies began to advance. Elise and Felicia's passive support skills really helped in managing damage intake.

Unfortunately, not everything went so smoothly the first two times due to some untimely misses of 77% and 84% hit rates from my end. I also had to rely on a miss from one of the Faceless in the end as well.

Chapter 8: A Cold Reception
    [​IMG]

Last time I played this chapter, I'm pretty sure I was able to visit at least two villages. Well, 2 resets in and I decided to screw visiting the villages, and took the extra EXP instead. This chapter is filled with Dark Mages and Fighters, who are perfect meals for Odin, Silas, and Niles. I turtled through this one, mostly because I was babying Odin basically the whole way. Niles and Odin remained paired up for virtually the whole chapter, while Felicia, Silvally, and Silas w/ Effie pairup rounded out the offense. Arthur did not see much action, but whenever he did fight he did a good job not missing or getting crit on like he usually does.

Not too much difficulty here, although if I had decided to go for saving two or more villages, it would have been a lot harder. I still got my 1000G from saving that first one though!

Resets Added: 4
    Total Resets: 7
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv11
    Felicia Lv9
    Elise Lv8
    Silas Lv10
    Arthur Lv8
    Effie Lv6
    Odin Lv8
    Niles Lv9

3. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Well-Known Member

Now that the game has been out for nearly a year, and we're more familiar with various mechanics in the game and what upcoming maps look like, I am interested to see how you'll tackle through some of the later maps. Or just the last map really. For the record, my original playthrough that I wrote a topic on back on NB took 92 resets (but did not go through Ignatius's or Percy's paralogues), so hopefully we'll see the reset count stay under 3-digits here as well.

JHufself likes this.
  4. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

That's the hope, I think. I'm trying to give units that I didn't use last time a good shot, but some of them keep falling short with their scripted level-ups.

Chapter 9: Another Trial
    [​IMG]

Prior to this chapter: Bought 2x Heal staff, 1x Mend, 1x Freeze
    Okay, another chapter done for good measure. I stayed up a little later just to do another one. Am I crazy yet?

Anyways, this chapter has a couple of notable happenings. Firstly, I need to point out that the Dragon Vein in the upper right that Azura points out to you is utterly useless on Lunatic difficulty. It also aggros anything it hits, I remember that from my last run. Second, there are indeed reinforcements! They appear from the sets of stairs in the middle area, and boy are they annoying when they come in. Finally, the most successful execution of this chapter involves capturing Haitaka, the boss, with Niles's Capture ability.

I was able to bait one of the very first archers to come and attack Odin, to which Odin cleaned him up nicely for some EXP. I hugged the outer bottom wall to recruit Nyx, and then fed my way up into the fort from there, forming a somewhat snakeish S path. The lancers around these parts have Seal Defense, which is greatly annoying and can reduce Silvally's natural dragon bulk in an instant. There's also a cleric with an Enfeeble staff, which I take 4 turns to stall out before moving towards the north hallway. At this point, I'm still relying on Silvally, Silas, and Odin for offensive units. After clearing the north hallway and grabbing the Rescue staff in the chest, I break the wall separating the north hallway from the main room area, which aggros the lancers waiting there to attack dragon Silvally. Since Silvally can't double enemies as a dragon, I can effectively hold a choke where the wall used to be, and I can also pick off lancers with a ranged unit behind Silvally.

Here's where the reinforcements come in. They sort of caught me in a bad spot, but luckily, unlike Awakening, where reinforcements performed actions immediately after spawning, Fates let me catch a quick breather after dispatching the original forces. With Azura's singing available to me once again, it's not terribly difficult to take out the mob one by one. In the end, the only unit standing is Haitaka, who has a nasty skill combination of Seal Defense and Strong Riposte (Rally Defense is pretty useless, since you can just lure out the archers surrounding him and pick them off) as well as sitting on a throne. To defeat him, I utilized the Dark Mage skill Heartseeker, which is available on both Odin and Nyx, to lower his Avoid, then used Silvally + Felicia pair up to chunk him with the Dragonstone, chunked him further with Silas + Effie pair up, and finally captured him with Niles's measly 2 damage attack.

All in all, a pretty impressive clear, at least from my point of view. Haitaka will be a very nice unit to have for Chapter 10, which is infamous for... a lot of reasons involving the buttons L, R, and Start or Select.

Resets Added: 0
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv12
    Felicia Lv10
    Elise Lv10
    Silas Lv10
    Arthur Lv10
    Effie Lv6
    Odin Lv10
    Niles Lv10
    Azura Lv8
    Nyx Lv11

5. Xenoblade Hero

Xenoblade Hero Member

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread seeing as I'm playing through a conquest Lunatic run myself. It'll be nice to see another perspective. Looking forward to hearing about chapter 10 too ;)

Also is there a reason you didn't abuse the infinite Azura level grind on chapter 5?

6. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

he said in the OP that he's going for moderate efficiency with this run, which that obviously isn't. Azura levels don't matter past getting Inspiring Song at 15 anyways.

i too am following this thread, I had a lot of fun on my own conquest lunatic run a few months ago until I just gave up at Endgame because I had no way to one-round the final boss, lol

7. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Didn't take a pic, whoops. But I took a detour and completed Paralogue 1: Tragic Start.
    Mozu is a sad villager, just like Donnel in Awakening. Because her bases are so pitifully low, it's pretty hard to justify using her consistently in the run without babying her until she becomes a Sniper/Weapon Master. The chapter she comes in is one filled with low-level Faceless, so no one other than her can really benefit from it. I still managed to get EXP to a bunch of my units and fed Mozu 4 levels to see if I would continue to use her, but she did not get very good level-ups. The chapter took 22 turns and the Heroes were Odin and Niles.

So what better way to use Mozu than to sell her starting weapon and buy myself 2x Javelin in My Castle? Seems fairly worth to me.

Chapter 10: Unhappy Reunion
    [​IMG]

The dreaded chapter: defend the green tiles!

I'm sure everyone who's played Conquest knows of this chapter. If you wanna talk numbers, then this is the one to talk about. Takumi leads basically a horde of enemies to strike, including a mix of Oni Savages, Ninjas, Sky Knights, and Archers, which means the weapon triangle advantage that previous chapters tended to give you disappeared. Now, if you didn't capture and recruit Haitaka from the last chapter, prepare for a rough go.

4 Villages in this chapter, I was able to visit 3, but missed the one with the Dracoshield, which definitely hurts as Dracoshield is possibly the best stat booster for many units in my control. Also, Takumi is holding an Elixir, but I don't even dare to go for him. If you can kill him before he drains the moat, you'll have completed the chapter faster than I did, but for me this was only if I had Silvally pair up with Camilla, flew down there, and hope he didn't counterattack kill me, as he has a skill that lets him attack at 1 range.

There are a couple of Ballista/Orbs lying around, which you can use near the beginning, but due to the vulnerable areas they are positioned, they quickly become useless. Since I actually took the time to level up Odin this run, he can take a bit of abuse from enemies, so I put him to the task of using the Orb for a few first turns. I visited the northern villages with Silas and Elise, as their Movement allows them to return to the middle area quickly. On Turn 3, Camilla and her retainers arrive, and thank the gods for Camilla or else this chapter would literally be hell. Camilla sports extremely well rounded base stats as a pre-promoted Dark Wyvern (right now I can't remember the actual name, so Dark Wyvern it is), which allows her to take virtually no damage while enemies suicide attack into her. I mostly use Camilla + Niles pair up to handle the left side of the map while everyone else scurries to contain the right side. Niles's extra speed allows Camilla to ORKO pretty much all of the incoming enemies, which is very desirable indeed. Selena on the other hand wasn't utilized much at all. I used her heavily last run, so this time, I'm trying to lay off the Selena train. Beruka usually did a lot of work, but that's when Haitaka wasn't around, and since he is, Beruka just got relegated to being his pair up buddy.

Despite my best efforts, I had to use a charge of Rescue to save Odin from a particularly nasty situation with Oboro, who starts advancing after Turn 8, when Takumi drains the water from the map. Silas remained steadfast as always, taking a lot of hits and dishing out lots of damage as well. Arthur was good when I needed him, but otherwise he just stuck around hoping to get a hit or two in. Silvally + Felicia with A support decimated any units willing to battle them, but since Silvally is only one unit limited to one range, he couldn't get around to do all the work. Elise played healer, which was great until she got worn down by enemy Archers utilizing the ballistae, forcing me to be cautious with where I put her. Azura did what Azura does best, which is Sing and not Attack, though I did use her to take care of a dangerously close Pegasus Knight.

In the end, I didn't need any resets to complete this chapter. There were definitely times that were sketchier than others, such as when Camilla got down to as low as 5 HP, or when Odin constantly kept missing at 80+% hit. The keys to completing this chapter for me were:
    • The ability to ORKO opponents with Camilla. This allows her to basically take one whole side of the map to herself. Some tacticians wouldn't like this approach, as she soaks up EXP and only gains 1 for her efforts. Let me tell you though, that if you somehow drop below 30 enemy units on any given turn, you're even better at strategizing than I am. To make this approach better, give whoever pairs up with Camilla a Vulnerary or healing item so that you don't have to return her to Elise or Felicia for heals.
    • Watch for Ninjas, Hinata, Oboro, and the Pegasus Knights. These units are especially dangerous as Ninjas can debuff your units with Shurikens, Pegasus Knights ignore the barriers set up around the middle, and Hinata and Oboro are just pretty strong and come packed with good skillsets. I was lucky to have Camilla avoid basically every Shuriken attempt with a 50ish% hit rate, but some runs may not be as lucky, and the debuffs really hurt Camilla's tankiness. Pegasus Knights, though not strong, can double slower units and have good movement range, which means one wrong step allows the Pegasus Knights to poke at your weaknesses. There are also enemy pair ups of these generic units!
    • Haitaka makes this chapter way simpler than it otherwise would be. Haitaka's access to Seal Defense and Rally Defense as skills makes him great at keeping your team bulky and lowering the enemy's. On Lunatic, he's also blessed with high bases and a B Rank Lance proficiency. He hits hard, takes hits back, and packs utility. The downsides of Haitaka are difficulty of capture (remember, I had to capture him with Niles' 2 damage attack) and that he won't come with weapons of his own, meaning you're limited to whatever resources you had before. He put in the work for me, and that's all I'll probably use him for.
    • Rescue and Freeze staves. While I only needed to use 1 charge of Rescue, these staves are essential for fixing bad situations, but further down the road having access to these is better too. This is probably the first case of heavy resource for the player, as previous chapters weren't as punishing.
    • If you haven't been balancing your units' levels or some of your units got the bad end of the RNG stick, this chapter will be particularly hard. Every unit contributed something to my completion of this chapter, and were they not as balanced, it would be more a matter of making sure the weaker units don't die.
    If you've been having trouble with this chapter, then I hope my experience has maybe given you an idea for your next attempt. Note that even under the worst conditions, this chapter is possible if luck is on your side.

Resets added: 0
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv13
    Azura Lv12
    Elise Lv11
    Silas Lv12
    Effie Lv6
    Odin Lv11
    Niles Lv11
    Felicia Lv10
    Arthur Lv11
    Camilla Lv--/1
    Selena Lv10
    Beruka Lv9

Bench
    Mozu Lv5
    Nyx Lv11

R Inanimate and Xenoblade Hero like this.
  8. momoVGC

momoVGC Member

I've done Lunatic Conquest and it was an exercise in self-flagellation... so good luck and have fun in the endgame!

9. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

I spent most of the day sitting shotgun as we made our way to the Chicago MSS this weekend. So I was able to slide in three whole chapters!

Chapter 11: Rainbow Sage
    [​IMG]

Here we have the shared map amongst all three routes featuring Rainbow Sage. It's a pretty interesting map, and also surprisingly dull and straightforward. I used Odin to clear Setsuna's room with the archers, as a Selena pairup + Inspiring Song allowed him to double and ORKO the generic ones. I used Silvally + Beruka pairup to clear Rinkah's room of enemy Fighters, as it allowed Silvally to take a couple more hits.

Azama's room is a little annoying, but nothing that Felicia can't handle all by her lonesome, even when Hexed by the annoying priest. Of course, she still had a supporting squad, but she did most of the work taking care of this room. Kaze's room is of course, Camilla + Beruka pair up bait. Before this chapter I bought a Hand Axe just so she could counterdunk the Ninja in this room.

The last two rooms are a little more involved. Camilla was used as an entry unit to scatter or unify the enemy forces while staying relatively healthy, while Corrin and friends infiltrated the now barren right side to initiate a pincer attack formation. Hinoka's room is the hardest to deal with. Hinoka herself comes packed with her personal skill and Inspiration, so her allies gain a +4 attacking bonus while also reducing damage dealt to them. The pair of Myrmidons in the middle each have the male version of Demoiselle, further reducing damage to all of the surrounding female units. Finally, the Cleric stacked in the back behind them provides healing to all three while also being impossible to attack without at least clearing some of the other units. Again, Camilla + Beruka pair up does great work here as she has the WTA vs. Hinoka and the other Pegasus Knights and takes little to no damage from the weaker Myrmidons even with the boost. Silas + Effie pair up also does quite well when the Bolt Naginata Pegasus Knights are taken out. It's important to note that Niles or an Archer Mozu are useless here due to the Flier Shield status on all three of the flying units.

I still ended up spending 2 resets on this chapter. In my first run, I lost Selena to Hinoka at the very end. I actually debated on whether or not I was going to just leave her and continue, but the completionist in me caused me to default to resetting. The second time was due to me mismanaging Azama's room and missing a couple of key attacks. Afterwards, Kaze joins our team at Lv13, which is quite nice.

Chapter 12: Bitter Intrigue
    [​IMG]

This chapter isn't necessarily hard or even that bad, statswise. But boy oh boy, the layout as well as the couple of restrictions that are placed upon you make completing the chapter that much harder. The player has 16 turns to either take Ryoma out (usually not happening unless you've somehow built your whole early game around doing this) or escaping behind him with just the main character. I obviously decided to escape, seeing as I have not been preparing to donk Ryoma here. You also can't deploy Elise in this chapter.

The pot closest to Silvally contains a Def+4 for any units within a 2-tile radius when it is broken. I maximized this effect by throwing in everyone except Haitaka (yes, I used him again!), Camilla, and the newly recruited Peri and Laslow. This goes a long way in ensuring your characters have the sturdiness to rush the enemies, which you will definitely need to do the further into the chapter you go. Near the Spear Fighter on the right, there's another pot that contains Mag+4 which I give to Odin, this will be important later on.

Laslow and Peri are fairly underwhelming units by my understanding. Peri is always outshined by Silas, especially since Silas has had the time to grow past Peri's bases. In addition, Xander later on trivializes the usage of Peri as a main unit. Peri's main use this chapter will be her Shelter skill. Laslow, on the other hand, can give a little extra Str/Spd to a group of units with his personal Dancing skill, courtesy of his mother. He also hits fairly hard with the Steel Sword he starts with.

My main strategy here was to pick off the Ninja middle room by luring the Kagero/Saizo pair to attack Camilla over the pots, then clean both of them up using a combination of Niles/Kaze/Camilla. Silas + Effie pairup heads over to the room directly left, containing Myrmidons, as they cannot damage him. Here, if Felicia has C Shuriken proficiency or above, she can be given the Flame Shuriken that Saizo drops, which turns her into a sickeningly strong glass cannon. Later, when the main dangers of the Ninja room have been cleared, I broke the medicine pots containing some tonic and a Res+4.

The room directly north of the Ninja room is filled with a Silence Cleric, lots of Apothecaries, and a couple of Spear Fighters. Here, Odin can ORKO the non Spendsthrift Apothecaries by pairing up with Felicia and making sure Odin isn't silenced. This is a backup in case things start to go wrong, as there are reinforcements of these same Apothecaries that come in from where you started when you hit this room. Silas, Silvally, and Kaze + Selena pair up move to the upper left room, where Silas dunks and chunks all the stuff sitting in those chambers. This chest contains an Armorslayer, which I highly recommend picking up for the next chapter. Meanwhile, Niles, Camilla, Odin, and any others headed for the right, where I purposefully let Camilla get Entrapped by the Cleric in this chamber, allowing her to bypass unlocking the door. The chest on this side is simply 5000G. To allow myself to get through the pots containing Freeze on the left blocking the exit, I simply had Silvally placed so that I could pair up back into Peri, move into the room containing Ryoma, have another unit break the pots next to him, and escaped that way. I will say that I learned after 2 resets to ignore some of the units (namely, the Apothecary party in the middle), and, while tempting, ignoring the Dragon Vein. Some things went wrong during the 3rd and 4th runs, and caused additional resets.

Chapter 13: Uprising
    [​IMG]

This chapter I remember being more annoying than it really was, and I ended up only needing 2 resets. On the first run, I simply forgot about checking Reina's range, and she sniped my Camilla. On the second, I merely misplayed and got Silvally killed. This chapter sees us recruit Benny and Charlotte, who I largely overlook as primary units but value greatly as support units.

I might have been overprepared for this chapter. Having the Armorslayer and a well-trained Odin devastated the 3 Knights on the right, while Kaze took care of the three Diviners on the right. Then, I allowed the Wyvern Riders carrying Knights to come up and hit me, and cleaned the rest up on Player Phase. To approach Orochi's forces, I simply threw Felicia + Odin pair up at them, and destroyed their hopes with Flame Shuriken. Positioning Silvally + Charlotte pair up adjacent to Camilla and Elise and equipping the Dragonstone allowed Silvally to eat the attacks of Reina's Cavalier force. Here I almost lose the run: Niles misses his attack on Reina, forcing me to waste Azura's song on him to attack once again. Luckily, the remaining 2 units split their attack onto a Guard-Ready Kaze + Selena and Elise, who procced an invsible Focus Sash. After properly healing, I used Camilla to lure Scarlet's wyvern forces, which also prompted extra reinforcements of Wyvern Riders from the left of the ditch and Cavaliers from the bottom right. This is basically where the interesting parts end, as the rest is just classic trades of initiating combat to take care of the rest.

I highly recommend not approaching Takumi's forces if at all possible. Takumi himself is equipped with Pass as well as sporting a hefty 19 Critical Rate thanks to his inherent bonus as a Sniper. One wrong roll can end a whole run, which luckily did not happen to me in the end.

Resets Added: 8
    Total Resets: 15
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv17
    Azura Lv18
    Odin Lv17
    Niles Lv16
    Felicia Lv16
    Camilla Lv--/3
    Kaze Lv15
    Elise lv14
    Silas Lv16

Support Crew:
    Selena Lv11
    Benny Lv15
    Charlotte Lv10
    Effie Lv6
    Haitaka Lv11
    Laslow Lv12
    Peri Lv10

Bench:
    Mozu Lv5
    Arthur Lv11
    Beruka Lv9
    Nyx Lv11

10. R Inanimate

From what I remember about my L playthrough, I had Camilla w/ Dual Club, with the +4 Def from the medicine jar that your party starts in front of, in addition to further damage reduction fro Jakob from Gentlehomme, and it leads to Ryoma barely able to damage (something like 2-3 damage x2 or something) Camilla so she can eventually just beat his face in with a club to win.

11. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Back at it again with the return trip chapters. Again, 3 more chapters (and possibly more later today?)!

Chapter 14: Voice of Paradise
    [​IMG]

In this chapter, we gain the help of Leo, who comes starting at Lv2 and has his signature tome, Brinhyldr. Keaton is also chilling just listening to tunes somewhere. This chapter is pretty straightforward "defeat the boss", who can also be captured, and I did do so. Probably never going to use him, but it's nice to have the special generic units to sack if I need to.

The bulk of the enemy forces are Archers and Oni Savages. Once you make it to the right side of the boats, 4 pairs of Pegasus Knights + Kinshi Knights appear from the left; these guys can be troublesome due to high Spd and Avoid. The Clerics can also be a bit annoying, but I had them status my support units who don't see combat anyways. Especially watch out for the Entrap Cleric next to the boss. Speaking of the boss, Kumagera has mixed offenses and Darting Blow, which gives him an effective +5 Spd mod when attacking. This actually cost me a reset as he was able to ORKO Silvally with his Ox Spirit (remember, I have -Res flaw). Odin and Niles once again did most of the actual attacking work. Kaze joined in as well, as did Leo and Camilla.

Chapter 15: The Black Pillar
    [​IMG]

This is a pretty unique chapter exclusive to Conquest that's basically a grinding point. Some of the enemies have stat boosters, and you regain the help of Gunter. Since Silvally was so close to Lv20 by the time I did this chapter, I was able to Master Seal into Nohr Noble and run through most of the enemy forces, and even finished with turns to spare. The most annoying part of this chapter is that the copy units share the HP stat with your real units, which can get pretty nasty if you bite off more than you can chew. Otherwise, it's a fairly straightforward chapter.

Chapter 16: Invasion
    [​IMG]

Now on the ship to Hoshido, Xander finally joins the ranks and boy is he good. Xander is miles and away the best Paladin unit you will recruit, due to his personal weapon Siegfried being literally the greatest thing to slice bread with. Another pretty straightforward chapter with little in the way of shenanigans. Dark Mages and Fighters make up the left side of the ship, while Outlaws and Mercenaries have taken over the right.

I was able to salvage 4000/10000G for this chapter by clearing it in 21 turns. Silvally played the glass cannon role and dunked everything faster than Xander did, but couldn't take hits very well. Either way, Odin and Niles promoted mid-chapter to Sorcerer and Bow Knight, respectively. Kaze also reached Lv19, so expect him to be promoted next chapter. Odin and Elise hooked up, and everyone else is getting with it too. Dunno who to pair with Xander or if I even want his son, as I've found him to be a weaker Xander without Siegfried.

All in all, pretty simple chapters.

Resets added: 3
    Total Resets: 18
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv20/2
    Azura Lv23
    Niles Lv20/1
    Camilla Lv--/5
    Kaze Lv19
    Elise Lv15
    Xander Lv4
    Keaton Lv16
    Leo Lv2
    Felicia Lv18
    Odin Lv20/1
    Gunter Lv12
    Silas Lv16/1

Support Crew:
    Charlotte Lv10
    Selena Lv11
    Benny Lv15
    Effie Lv6
    Beruka Lv9

Bench:
    Jakob Lv13
    Peri Lv10
    Nyx Lv11
    Arthur Lv11
    Laslow Lv12
    Mozu Lv5

Captured:
    Haitaka Lv11
    Kumagera Lv--/1

12. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Chapter 17: Den of Betrayal
    [​IMG]

If you didn't build up a ridiculously defensive unit, this chapter might be difficult as it's filled with Ninjas and Myrmidons, as well as Mechanists and their little creepy puppet dudes. In other words, prepare for lots of debuffs. Even though Xander is at a weapon disadvantage, he remains one of the best ways to choke the opponent forces, so I used him quite often this time around. Camilla + Benny pair up continues to be useful as she controls the weapon triangle with the help of the Dual Club.

The other thing to take notice of this chapter is Saizo. He's usually pretty decent at holding his own for a while, and it's totally okay for me to just use him as death fodder. My main strategy this time around was getting nearly all of my units into the little middle room where the Silence Cleric was, and then sealing off all the exits except for the top one. This let me effectively choke the whole chapter, basically trivializing it. I was able to use this chapter for a few things, notably getting Silas to Lv5 to pick up Luna.

Now the boss room is quite annoying. The enemies in there typically don't like to approach, so you'll have to approach yourself. Luckily, Silvally typically OHKOed the Ninjas and the Swordmaster not being ranged simplified things. Kotaro might be carrying the Flame Shuriken as well as a Silver one, but one Draconic Hex later makes him easy pickings.

Resets added: 2
    Total Resets: 20
    Levels:
    I have a bunch of chapters to dump, so wait till then okey?~~~

Next post will be kid corner Pt 1, and this is where any semblance of a well incorporated mechanic goes out the window. See you then!

13. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Lemme preface this superpost with an apology. Last weekend I went to a couple of tournaments (although only one actually ended up being held) and wasn't able to really post here between preparing for those and getting college work done. But here it is! I have a lot of Paralogues to cover an a couple more chapters too.

~~~Kid Korner Dimensions~~~

Paralogue 5: Bold Approach
    [​IMG]

Welcome to what I call the poorest implementation of a past game mechanic of all time. Not that I'm complaining, cuz I get more units, experience, items, and they're pretty good to boot. The first one I decided to cover was Paralogue 5, which has us "rescuing" some villagers with the help of Sophie, Silas's daughter. I paired Silas with Effie early on as you'll recall, so in the level logs this specific build of Sophie will be registered as Effie!Sophie, and this format will hold for all children characters when I get to them.

Anyways, the chapter itself is pretty easy. Saving the villagers is not worth the trouble, you only get an extra seal which you can buy infinite of after a certain chapter anyway and a single statbooster which frankly isn't worth saving all of their sorry butts. A fairly straightforward chapter otherwise, there are a couple of easy reinforcements that just give you more EXP. Sophie joins our party with fairly decent stats, although she looks to be not as good as the Camilla!Sophie I raised in my first run.

Only one reset here since I had forgotten to give someone a Master Seal to hold so that Sophie could promote immediately. whoops.

Paralogue 20: Ultimate Power
    [​IMG]

This chapter is really useful for getting magic tomes and scrolls, especially in the typically straightforward Nohr route. In addition to netting some neat weapons to use, Ophelia, who is mothered by Elise, joins effectively as a better, faster, slightly squishier Odin. In addition, her personal skill grants a free boost to Crit whenever she holds 3 or more tomes/scrolls, which is definitely appreciated.

This chapter is a little iffy to hit all the villages before thieves get to them first. I was able to collect all but the top left village, which contained a Calamity Gate, which honestly I probably won't miss too much. Enemy units approach pretty quickly and while the boss is a potential capture target, he's certainly not worth the time and effort when he's rushing me with all of his forces.

3 Resets from this map. Bow users and Ninjas applied a lot of pressure on my squishier units.

Paralogue 6: Herbal Remedy
    [​IMG]

Up to the third child now, Kaze's daughter Midori enters the fray as the only natural Apothecary unit in the whole game (unless you count Yukimura I guess). With red hair from Selena, I immediately promote Midori into a Puppeteer in order to acquire the soon-to-be-useful Golembane. I had a very easy time with this chapter as I was able to box Candace, the boss (and also a capture target; fun fact: she has a unique battle model different from all other Adventurers), quite early in the winding path. Then it was just a matter of letting reinforcements approach me or me approaching them. The Berserkers distributed along the way were quite scary, however.

No resets from this map.

Paralogue 18: Two Defenders
    [​IMG]

This chapter is one I haven't successfully completed before and that is because it gets insanely difficult the further down the road you do it. Luckily, I had the foresight to actually be able to do this one before the enemies within got too strong for Ignatius, who is Benny's kid, whose sole purpose this chapter is to defend the village. Because none of the enemies were promoted other than the boss, my mostly promoted units swept the floor with them. That didn't prevent the terrain and some weapons like Beast Killers from being a pain to play around, however.

1 Reset here, I miscalculated Keaton's position against some of the enemy mages and he got trashed from range.

Chapter 18: Black & White
    [​IMG]

Popping back into the main story for a little bit (I also ran out of Master Seals promoting those kiddos), I decided to test some of the newfound units' strength by deploying all of them here and replacing some of the other characters I had been using before, like sliding Ophelia over Odin, Ignatius over Benny, Sophie over Silas, and I just brought Midori to get the skill she needed at Level 5.

This chapter annoyingly separates your forces into two halves, with 8 spots on either side of the building. I decided to mash most of them into the right side of the map, but I kept Elise, Camilla, Azura, and Silvally on the left to start probing the upper part of this map. There's also a 20-turn limit that can get a little icky if you can't clear rooms fast enough. After nuking some of the annoying supportbot Maids and clearing the surrounding Heroes on the left side with Silvally and friends, I sent Felicia into the middle of the pack of Sorcerers in the upper half of the map. Thanks to Tomebreaker being an amazing offensive and defensive tool, Felicia was able to deal heavy damage with little risk to her squishy self. Reinforcements appear from the 4 sets of stairs in the middle of this room; which almost became troublesome but I was able to position Ophelia well enough in order to abuse the Heartseeker skill, reducing adjacent enemy avoid by 20. Zola, who was basically the motivator of this chapter, gets easily ORKOed by Silvally.

In the lower half of the map, there are also reinforcements from those stairs. The left side is filled mostly with Generals, while the right has cavalry units. I usually abuse Xander or an equivalently defensive unit (in this case, Dragon Silvally) to draw in enemies, and then pick them off when they do come to me. This worked out pretty well, despite the enemy numbers. The double General pair up serving as the secondary boss can be annoying, especially because they each carry a different weapon from the triangle to increase coverage. Beating them down with magic or Armorslayer type weapons can ease this immensely, but be warned as they hit very hard and squishy units have a tough time taking them down.

A whopping 8 resets were added because of this chapter. I tried a couple strategies before finally deciding to dump most of my units on the right side via pair up, and they all usually fell through because thinner forces = less coverage.

Paralogue 2: Dragon Blood
    [​IMG]

This paralogue is an extremely boring one. I'll spare most of the details because it's simply not interesting. Lots of units, lots of EXP, and Charlotte!Kana. Having a Str asset, Silvally and Charlotte pass a ridiculous Str mod down to Kana. Whether I'll actually get to see the effects of that by the endgame, we'll have to wait and see.

0 Resets. I also caught one of the brothers that come in later. Can't remember which one though.

Chapter 19: Kitsune Lair
    [​IMG]

You may have already noticed, but now is around the time when the going gets rough, which means it's time to start going tough. This map exclusively features Kitsune units, which are not unlike the wolves you would encounter in Birthright. The difference, however, is that some of the foxes have this leaf gimmick that alternates which turns they can attack and be attacked. In addition to being faster than scarf Ninetales, making them nearly impossible to achieve a 100% hit rate on, they hit hard and all are equipped with Beastbane. A good chunk also have Pass and Life or Death, which make it hard to try tackling this chapter defensively (although I did it this way anyway).

I relied heavily on Ignatius and Silvally to intercept the approaching fox forces. Silvally was a little squishy at times, even with Leo backing up his not so great Def, but by using Vulneraries every time I lost too much health, Draconic Hex starts to take its toll on the fast and speedy foxes. Kana was also instrumental in OHKOing or ORKOing enemies, as were Ophelia, Niles, and Camilla. Ophelia played double duty by lowering some of their high Avoid as well.

This chapter can get really nasty really quickly. Foxes with the leaf status tend to zip right through your front lines in preparation for the next turn when they can attack you from behind. The terrain can also heavily hinder almost all units, as it prevents many units from moving any further than 3 or 4 spaces. I did not bring Keaton to this chapter, as it seemed like a similar situation to bringing Dragon Type Pokémon against other Dragon Types: risky and typically not what you want to rely on to answer the situation at hand.

In total, I spent 7 resets before I got enough favorable rolls actually hitting the enemies and surviving their attacks. Kana clutched out the final wave by surviving with 1 HP, allowing the rest of my units to come in and clean things up.

Paralogue 3: Surprise Duet
    [​IMG]

This paralogue is similar to Kana's, in that it's a boring grindfest. It's slightly more interesting, but not that much more interesting, and you don't even get to use Shigure until the chapter is completed anyway! I decided to feed Niles basically all of the Lv10 enemies, as the faster he acquires Shurikenbreaker the better. This made Niles way overleveled compared to the rest of my units, but this will payoff in the long run, I can assure you. The enemies, despite being higher leveled, are few and typically skill-less. By staying on the middle ship for most of the map's run, enemies will approach from both of the other ships in a constant stream that is easy to manage. Nothing much more to say about this one.

No resets here. Just a lot of EXP.

Resets Added: 20
    Total Resets: 40
    Levels:
    Generation Parents:
    Silvally Lv20/9
    Azura Lv31
    Felicia Lv25
    Leo Lv--/8
    Niles Lv20/11
    Elise Lv20/6
    Keaton Lv20/6
    Camilla Lv--/12
    Kaze Lv20/7
    Xander Lv--/5

Generation Kiddos:
    Effie!Sophie Lv20/4
    Camilla!Ignatius Lv20/7
    Selena!Midori Lv20/6
    Charlotte!Kana Lv20/6
    Elise!Ophelia Lv20/6
    Niles!Shigure Lv20/4

Support Crew:
    Charlotte Lv11/1
    Silas Lv16/6

All others are on the bench for good most likely. Not going to list these out anymore, probably won't list out everyone either as they start to fall out of usage in a little bit.

14. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Chapter 20: Winds of Change
    [​IMG]

I really enjoy this chapter for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important one is that you get to fly around! Wheeee! The gimmick in this chapter takes a bit of getting used to, so I spent the first 2 resets figuring out how I wanted to tackle this chapter. Then some bad luck stuff happened to take off a couple more resets. Otherwise, this chapter is relatively fine in comparison to the two earlier chapters with more than 5 resets.

No new units in this chapter, I don't think any more units are recruited actually. Fuuga and Hayato are the main bosses of the chapter, and while both have pretty decent stats and skills, they're no match for Draconic Hex. I also had to use a Rescue charge at some point, which leaves me with only one remaining. We'll see if that affects the run down the road. Basically all units saw some usage, though I have now reduced the roster to a select number of about 16. For now, moving on!

Chapter 21: Eternal Stairway
    [​IMG]

So this chapter can be really annoying. There are infinite Faceless respawns, which don't give EXP, Stoneborns with 5-range heavy hitting rocks, and nearly all the Faceless have Savage Blow or Grisly Wound to stack passive damage if they weren't quickly dispatched. So my main strategy was to turtle my through and occasionally backtracking to avoid getting overwhelmed by incoming reinforcements. Dragon Veins freeze all enemies on the map, which can be useful for buying an extra turn to let others catch up or to eliminate enemy forces during player phase and not getting dunked on enemy phase.

This is the chapter I wanted Midori's Golembane skill for, but the Stoneborn are so ridiculously bulky that Midori's bonus damage isn't helpful. It was actually more consistent to use Ophelia's Lightning, which ORKOed them when Ophelia was at full power (Lightning reduces Mag/Skl by 2 every time she engages in combat). I abused Draconic Hex as well as a lot of auras like Elise's and Camilla's personals, Demoiselle, and especially Shigure's Rally Speed and Tuning personal skill. These let me deal with the incoming damage waves nicely, and although I started to run low on Heals and Mends by the end, I'd say 0 resets is a pretty successful run on this grating chapter. I did however accidentally use the Arms Scroll on Silvally because I thought I was using a Vulnerary instead.

Chapter 21: Sakura
    [​IMG]

The first Hoshidan sibling we come across in our journey to sit King Garon on the throne is Sakura. She is accompanied by her retainers and Yukimura, who we'll get to in a second. Like a couple of chapters before it, your forces are split to two sides that are mutually inaccessible from the other side from the bottom of the map. Dragon Veins lower some of the walls on the other side, which I used the first few to my advantage but ignored most of the later ones. The left side of the map is filled with Oni Chieftains, Blacksmiths, and some Mechanists spawn as reinforcements. The right side contains mostly Onmyoji, with some supporter puppety guys who can easily be dropped by Midori + Kaze pair up thanks to Midori's Golembane. There are also some Falcon Knights, which likewise drop to Midori's bows.

My main strategy here was letting Silvally's side, the left side, turtle their way up while dealing with the massive amounts of reinforcements that ensue later. On the other side, I had Camilla + Ignatius, Midori + Kaze, Felicia + Leo, and Shigure hug the very right side of the map and come around to ambush the forces instead of attacking head on. After the loads of reinforcements show up by crossing a certain point on the right side, I had Silvally sit down with the Dragonstone+ I acquired from Chapter 20 and wall them out. Hana herself could have been OHKOed by Silvally, but I didn't even have to resort to that by having Niles crit her at 59% hit/9% crit. Subaki met with a worse fate, being demolished by Camilla's newly purchased Brave Axe (which btw is utterly disgusting damage output, as she has capped her Str and Spd). Sakura herself is an annoying staffbot, but she runs out by around turn 25. After clearing the rest of the map, I sit down and use Yukimura to level Niles up to 15, where he learns the all important Shuriken Breaker. By the way, since Yukimura has a Silver Shuriken and nothing else, things like this can happen:
    [​IMG]
    Overall, not a bad run. I lost 2 resets because Hana avoided multiple attacks and destroyed Silvally with her Rend Heaven skill, while the other was due to a mistake on my end.

Resets Added: 6
    Total Resets: 46
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv20/14
    Felicia Lv30
    Azura Lv33
    Camilla Lv--/18
    Xander Lv--/8
    Leo Lv--/10
    Kaze Lv20/10
    Niles Lv20/15
    Elise Lv20/8
    Keaton Lv20/8
    Niles!Shigure Lv20/10
    Elise!Ophelia Lv20/10
    Selena!Midori Lv20/12
    Charlotte!Kana Lv20/10
    Camilla!Ignatius Lv20/9

Support crew:
    Charlotte

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  15. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Kid corner: Last Hurrah
    I took a short break from the main story to collect the remaining children. Then, we'll get back to Chapter 23 with Takumi and his wall.

Paralogue 18: Nutty Family
    [​IMG]

This was my first time experiencing this chapter, and it was a little surprising to me how Velouria just joined in after a certain point in the chapter. Aside from that, there's a lot of magic going on around here and some Faceless and Malig Knights as well. Due to the layout of the map, it's better for me to take care of the Entrap Strategist sitting in the middle as well as the units surrounding her first before approaching for real. I do this by Silencing the whole map using the Dragon Veins. Additionally, I had to take care of the Malig Knights before advancing much because I lost two resets to them charging in.

After that, the chapter was easy pickings. Well, except when the Faceless and Sorcerer reinforcements pincered me. But we were able to get out of there alive. Velouria is similar to Keaton, but I decided to give her Lunge and HP+5 as inherited Skills to give her more utility and bulk.

Paralogue 16: Abducted
    [​IMG]

So I had forgotten how annoying this chapter was without Entrap the first time, so I went back out and bought up the Staff Store's Entrap stock in order to cheese the chapter. Even then, the amount of concurrent reinforcements blew me back twice more, for a total of 3 resets. After I stopped being a dumbo with my units, I was able to handle everything fine.

Entrap should be used once for the Berserker that spawns after any player unit engages with an enemy unit. I used Elise to Entrap the guy and then used Velouria and Kana to dunk him quick. Berserkers are probably my least favorite enemy units, due to their high Str, above average Spd, and obscene Crit rates. Luckily, their hit rates are usually not so good, but most of the Lunatic Berserkers have the Certain Blow Skill to patch that up during Enemy phase. The Sorcerers in this chapter also performed a similar role, but on the magic side.

Forrest comes packed with Tomebreaker and Seal Magic, which will be incredibly useful when we get to a certain chapter.

Paralogue 22: Abrupt Clash
    [​IMG]

The rest of those Entrap charges are for this chapter. I used Elise again to snare the Locktouch Adventurers on either side of the map to prevent them from looting the treasures. This chapter's a bit of an oddball compared to the rest, as you have to take out Nina as part of the enemy forces. You won't lose her, but killing her before killing other units causes them to flee the map, so if you were looking for EXP, better to box her off while you take the rest of the enemies out. Anyways, the chests continue pretty useful stuff. A Shining Bow for Nina herself when she uses her Offspring Seal, 3000G, a Goddess Icon, and a Partner Seal. Berserkers make another appearance in this chapter, but they're even worse because they have Counter.

I spent 2 resets, one because I missed one of my Entraps (I needed to hit all 3), and another because I forgot about Counter this one time (which is why you should check everything!). I have had nothing but good experiences using Nina as a unit, and she'll be very integral to the rest of the game, as she inherits Shuriken Breaker and Foreign Princess from her parents.

Resets Added: 7
    Total Resets: 53
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv20/15
    Azura Lv36
    Xander Lv--/12
    Camilla Lv--/19
    Leo Lv--/13
    Elise Lv20/11
    Kaze Lv20/12
    Felicia Lv31
    Keaton Lv20/10
    Niles Lv20/15
    Elise!Ophelia Lv20/13
    Camilla!Ignatius Lv20/11
    Beruka!Velouria Lv20/12
    Azura!Nina Lv20/10
    Felicia!Forrest Lv20/10
    Niles!Shigure Lv20/11
    Charlotte!Kana Lv20/12
    Selena!Midori Lv20/13

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  16. ZeManaphy

ZeManaphy New Member

I'm curious: What were you're pairings for the Children?

17. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Arrrrgh, I meant to put those in the names... will change the previous posts to reflect pairings, but here they are again just for reference:

Charlotte!Kana
    Niles!Shigure
    Felicia!Forrest
    Selena!Midori
    Camilla!Ignatius
    Azura!Nina
    Beruka!Velouria
    Elise!Ophelia
    Effie!Sophie

Not paired: Arthur, Xander, Jakob, Laslow

18. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

We're really getting there guys. Just a few more chapters to go!

Chapter 23: Possessed
    [​IMG]

This chapter is one of the hardest in the game, and for good reason. Lots of reinforcements, close quarters fighting, and enemy ballistae usage, as well as possibly the hardest defensive core to breach in Hinata's squadron. It's definitely ok to cheese the chapter by ignoring the west side and moving units across the chasm using fliers, but I decided to tackle it fairly this time around.

First things first, I reclassed Camilla into a Wyvern Lord in order to pick up the very important Rally Defense. For the sake of speeding things up, I attacked the 4 furthest right enemy units across the chasm with Camilla + Ignatius pair up, followed up by clearing the rest of the chasm forces by adding Shigure to Camilla's side. After doing so, I allowed the reinforcements that triggered from it to approach me and choked them with Velouria + Nina and Silvally + Leo pair ups, with Ophelia and Elise providing ranged offense as the reinforcements are all locked to 1-range. After taking care of those, I swapped Ignatius and Leo's positions and began to bait the Snipers north of the pond. This triggers more reinforcements and aggros the remaining forces on the south, and because of Lunge, Silvally gets taken for a wild ride. The next Player Phase, I split my forces to handle both the Sniper force and the Lancer/Oni force from both directions, and wait for the reinforcements to approach before cutting their advance short.

Now I move on to taking care of Hinata's group. This is very hard to get right without cheesing, and it involves the following setup:
    • First, the unit pair I send in to tank and ultimately aggro their forces is Silvally + Ignatius. This pairing gives Silvally a massive +5 Def boost, which paired with Dragonstone+ makes Silvally take hits like a champ.
    • Before sending them in, I boost Silvally's stats using Camilla's Rally Defense, Shigure's Rally Speed, Niles's Rally Skill, and Azura's Inspiring Song. Overall, a +4 Def, +7 Spd, +7 Skl, and +3 Lck. The speed is important here to avoid being doubled by some of the enemies surrounding Hinata.
    • I had to make sure Silvally had at least 2/10 Dual Guard gauge filled. This is to ensure that the Dual Guard procced when the Line of Death Sniper duo attacked, as they do the most damage at a hefty 21 after their Lancer gets Seal Defense off.
    I sent Silvally in to attack the Lancer directly left of Hinata with the Dragonstone+. He does 0 damage on counter attack, but the important thing is that it fills the Dual Gauge by 4. Make sure that the rest of your units are not in the danger area, but still close enough to rush and pick off all of Hinata's forces after the breach. Draconic Hex should soften all of the units up to the point where most other player units can defeat them, even if Silvally missed the counter-attack. The reason I needed all of that setup was because this ensured that Silvally would even survive the first onslaught. Without Rally Defense, Silvally would barely get KOed, which is why I decided to reclass Camilla in the first place (although by this time, she's back to being a Malig Knight).

Taking the battle to the top of the wall, I decided to use a couple of Freeze charges to stop the Lancers with Lunge from ruining an otherwise extremely shaky attempt to start an offensive. I had Silvally + Leo go up, followed by Velouria + Nina, to pick off the two Amaterasu Snipers, hoping they could survive the remaining 5-6 enemy attackers, which they were able to. After that, it's just a matter of playing cat and mouse by abusing the stairs to constantly force Oboro's forces back to their starting positions.

Oboro's forces are a lot less nasty to face. Thanks to the way the stairs work, it's very easy to pick off her supporting squad one-by-one. Ophelia was instrumental here for being able to destroy nearly all of them other than Oboro herself, who I used Nina and Niles for anyway.

The final room is certainly a small one. It's not difficult, just very cramped. I sent in Velouria once again to tank some of the enemy hits and provide an opportunity for the rest of my units to come in and KO the rest. Takumi himself is very dangerous; with Point Blank, a sizable crit rate, 50%+ rate for proccing Vengeance, and fast speed, he reminds me of the Heroes version of Takumi: Dumb, fast, frail, and no weaknesses. Because he is perched on a Throne, his dodge is insane; I recommend placing a Heartseeker unit next to him to reduce his Avoid. I ended by finishing him with Midori in order to let her level up to 15, where she picked up Spendsthrift, an excellent skill that complements her ability to farm Gold Bars.

This chapter was finished after 20 attempts. The first couple of times I had the right way of going about the bottom, but could not figure out the top. After that, I got tilted and tried another 10+ times, and the final few attempts were me actually being a tactician and not a silly lord like Silvally.

Chapter 24: Hinoka
    [​IMG]

I feel like a lot of people have trouble with the way this chapter is organized: very open, spacious, and lots of fliers and movement abusing mechanics. For me, this trivializes the entire chapter.

The way I played it, there was almost no way for me to lose anyone here. Ophelia handles nearly all types of units present other than the Falcon Knights thanks to her impressive Res and decently high Def, as well as blistering Spd and disgustingly high Mag. She even has Bowbreaker to completely deny Kinshi Knights of a chance at doing damage at all. The abundance of Bow users in my forces also make most fliers non-threats; between Midori, Niles, and Nina, there was almost always a way to take care of stray fliers. Add Velouria and Keaton as beast-slaying units and there's not much weakness present on the team in general. Some of the squishy units, such as Forrest, Elise, Azura, and Kana do require a bit of care when moving, as one wrong move can put them in harm's way, but for the most part, they play supportive roles during the chapter.

The rundown is this: Ophelia + Ignatius pair up throw themselves at the left little island to handle all of those forces there, while Forrest follows her to provide the Gentilhomme boost. Everyone else advances north, drawing the attention of Falcon Knights as well as the Onmyoji positioned on that island. Hinoka will pop her first Dragon Vein use at the end of the current turn, which I reverse by having Camilla fly all the way over to the left and proc the one near Ophelia. This was slightly risky, as it left Camilla open to attack from foot units just north of her, but because it's freaking Camilla, they didn't do a whole lot to punish her. I continued on my merry way, basically waltzing my way through reinforcements, and after eventually reaching Hinoka and pals, I finished her off after forcing her stats down to basically 0.

Basic advice for this chapter is to know when to counter Hinoka's Dragon Vein with your own; doing so limits her flier forces quite effectively, although it also affects yours. Also, moving across half the map in one or two turns is fun. Only 1 reset here, and it's because I didn't play Ophelia quite right the first time.

Chapter 25: Ryoma
    [​IMG]

This chapter is either really easy cheesed or really difficult done the standard method. What the game wants you to do is to defeat Saizo and Kagero in order to null the 1v1 occurring in the middle between Silvally and Ryoma. What you can do if your avatar is buff enough is solo Ryoma and end the chapter right there and then. I decided to take the slow painful route of course.

Remember when I said we would be needing Shurikenbreaker sometime ago? This is the chapter to use and abuse it in. With both Niles and Nina having access to the skill, I started on the left side of the map by using Niles and Nina to essentially destroy the Master Ninjas there. After almost soloing the first little chamber with Niles, I throw Velouria + Nina pair up into the danger area to draw not only the Master Ninja, but also the couple of Swordmasters that would otherwise steamroll either Niles or Nina. This results in Velouria falling to -12 in Def and Res thanks to the Inevitable End skill that the game decides to start throwing around. After drawing the enemies nearer and dearer, I use my whole force to pick them all of.

Now, onto the west portion, which features Automatons with Spy's Yumi/Lunge/Seal Defense combination, a death sentence for any unit placed in their massive attacking range. Fortunately for us, there's a blind spot wayyyyy up through the furthest left hallway right outside the upper left corner room. To get there, I needed the aid of Azura's dancing to allow Ignatius + Leo pair up to get there. Similarly to the Hinata strategy, I buffed Ignatius up as much as possible before sending him up, as the Swordmasters directly outside the room with Automatons will aggro onto him. Thanks to Wary Fighter, the fast Swordmasters can only chip away at Ignatius, while Ignatius is completely content to hit or miss thanks to Savage Blow still dealing damage to his direct vicinity. The Swordmaster with the Dual Katana is the most dangerous for Ignatius. When all is finished with the 3 Swordmasters, I return Ignatius to the previous area, again using Azura's Dance command.

Now for the fun part (or not so fun part). The room with Automatons. I use Kaze to break the wall, which luckily only has 30 HP otherwise this would be even more painful than before. Ignatius + Midori pair up move to take on the Swordmaster pair up in this room, with Kana coming in to provide a ranged attack to finish one of the Swordmasters off. The other one becomes prey to a Freeze charge. Ophelia, Nina, Niles and Shigure advance to take care of the Automatons before they do any significant harm. Unfortunately, I missed one of my attacks and had to use another Freeze charge to stop one of the Master Ninja. The remaining Master Ninja attacked Ophelia, which severely damaged but did not KO her.

Moving onto the room containing Saizo, this one was pretty easy. I just threw Ignatius + Midori into the Automaton range and baited out the enemies in his room, picking them off with my own forces during Player Phase. Saizo himself is certainly an annoyance with Luna and Aegis preventing Nina from ORKOing him, but ultimately he was no match for Midori backed by Kaze. By around this time, we've spend 16-17 turns, so it's time to return to the starting room and relegate Shigure to healing duty for Silvally, as Ryoma will start aggroing on Turn 21.

The right side features an infamous hallway of death. This is the one tile wide hallway that has two rooms on either side, both possessing Master Ninja with Spy's Shuriken. The Master of Arms in this hallway has Countermagic, which I had forgotten about at one point and cost me a reset.

But alas, let us first go back to the lead up. The organization of small forces in the bottom right of the map are pretty easily taken care of by my high movement units such as Niles, Nina, Camilla, Xander, and more. It became slightly risky when Ophelia was attacked, but she was able to hang on having recovered from her earlier bout on the left. I continued to abuse Niles and Nina as much as I could to take care of all the Master Ninja.

Moving into the hallway of death, I buffed Xander way up and even gave him a Kaze pair up to ensure that he could ORKO the Master of Arms. This baited the Master Ninja just behind him, to which I killed him with Nina. Aggroing the Spy's Shuriken Ninja to the side also allowed Nina to pick them off at 2-range, as Spy's Shuriken cannot counter attack at 1 or 2 range. Then, it's just a matter of funneling the remaining enemies to approach near the top of the hallway. Alternatively, the walls on either side of the hallway can be broken to swarm the rooms directly sandwiching the hallway.

Kagero is not as well equipped as Saizo, and is ORKOed by Nina. After defeating Kagero, the impassable walls containing the room Ryoma and Silvally had been fighting in are torn down, allowing me to bait Ryoma to the north and swarm him with my units.

Overall, a successful run that didn't cost nearly as many resets as I thought it would. 8 more were added.

Resets added: 29
    Total Resets: 82
    Levels:
    Silvally Lv20/17
    Xander Lv--/15
    Camilla Lv--/20
    Leo Lv--/15
    Elise Lv20/15
    Azura Lv40
    Niles Lv20/18
    Kaze Lv20/13
    Felicia Lv31
    Keaton Lv20/11
    Charlotte!Kana Lv20/15
    Niles!Shigure Lv20/15
    Felicia!Forrest Lv20/15
    Selena!Midori Lv20/17
    Odin!Ophelia Lv20/18
    Beruka!Velouria Lv20/17
    Camilla!Ignatius Lv20/17
    Azura!Nina Lv20/19

Just two more Chapters (actually 3 more) to go!

19. JHufself

JHufself Active Member

Final post incoming!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter 26: Treason
    [​IMG]

Probably one of the most meticulously crafted chapters in this game, and I love it. In fact, I love it so much that I only needed to grant 1 reset to this beast of a chapter. Now, there are couple of things worth noticing before tackling this chapter. The first is that Iago and the other stationary Maids have Staff Savant, which increases all staff ranges and gives them infinite use. Combined with the healthy use of Hexing Rod, Enfeeble, Freeze, and Silence, your units will be sure to be suffering at least most of the time. Secondly, the entire left side of the map with the Faceless and Stoneborn is C O M P L E T E L Y not worth your time unless you really want a Spy's Yumi (which I didn't).

So before I get into the nitty-gritty of "how did I only do this in 1 reset", I have to discuss a technique that I've been using sparingly throughout the playthrough, but for this chapter it is probably the safest option to use: The Shelter-Sing combination. Shelter is a skill that allows the base unit to Rescue the target unit. For this to happen, both units have to not be paired up. Sing refers obviously to Azura, the only Songstress unit, and her abilities to refresh a unit's action for the current turn. This strategy works as long as you have room to retreat, as it lets an offensive unit placed in the danger area to be moved back at least 3 or 4 spaces. And here's how it works:

First, a unit or pair of units will approach an enemy unit and attack to hopefully net a kill. Azura should be positioned so that she can Sing them to move again. Next, your Shelter user (here, I have Xander, but Xander's son, Peri, Silas, or Sophie could also work as they all start as Cavaliers) should Shelter Azura and bring her into their back. Finally, have another non-paired unit transfer Azura from the Shelterer, switch places, and Sing on the Shelterer to get them out of danger. And this process is repeatable as long as you can transfer Azura's back safely! The base form of this technique allowed me to poke offensively into certain enemy formations which allowed me to aggro the rest and safely choke them at the various hallway entrances.

On to the strategy. As you may have noticed, all of the rooms are sealed off by 50 HP doors that can either be unlocked by Locktouch or just destroyed. I opted to destroy them as Ophelia's Mag was so unreasonably high that she was able to OHKO the doors. I would use the Shelter-Sing technique to bring her out of danger afterwards. The first room is filled with Heroes, all carrying the Wyrmslayer weapon, which makes Silvally and Kana as well as Camilla or Dragon riders useless. The Maid in this room has a Hexing Rod, which I decided to use one Silence charge to avoid getting hit too early on with it. The first four Heroes will approach after you break or unlock the door; I let them come to me and picked them off one by one. I used Xander to bait the remaining Heroes in the room and used Nina to ORKO the Maid with 0% chance of getting hit back thanks to Shurikenbreaker. I was careful not to let Xander stand in the Stoneborn range extending from the left, as they will target you should you step in it.

A neat little pattern that Iago does is that he goes through his staff list in order, and doesn't repeat. So don't worry about letting units stand in his range unless his next staff use is the Hexing Rod. This changes every turn, and advances regardless of whether you were standing there or not. Use this to your advantage to get your units safely to the right chamber.

Speaking of the right chamber, the Maid right outside this door has Entrap! She's also accompanied by two Sorcerers. This is definitely annoying, and attempting to kill the Maid likely puts your unit into range of the Freeze ones sitting in the room with Sorcerers. Since Nina's Res was good enough to be able to ignore magic despite the weapon advantage, I killed the Maid and let her get frozen before Entrap was triggered. Advancing to break the door, I use the Shelter-Sing technique in tandem with Ophelia once more to begin the Sorcerer advance. These Sorcerers are pretty nasty, as they come with high Mag and are relatively bulky, but the good thing about having Felicia back on the team (you thought she was done, but there's a reason I kept her on the level list) is that she has weapon advantage and Tomebreaker to nullify most of their attempts at attacking. Her not-so-high Res held her back, although they could not OHKO her anyway. Forrest, who also inherited Tomebreaker, was an excellent partner, giving Felicia extra padding to take hits while also possessing a massive Res stat and Seal Magic to further deal with the Sorcerer onslaught. Once the advance is triggered, reinforcements appear from the top staircase, which I have my non-choking units deal with. Camilla once again rears her Dual Club to fell some Red units. This choking process usually takes a long time, mostly because I'm content with Felicia and Forrest handling all the Sorcerers rather than have other units try to take them out; it's safer that way and it gets Felicia and Forrest much needed EXP that they may not have had all that much. This is all while soaking up Freezes from the Maids in that room too.

After defeating the Sorcerer forces, Nina and Niles pick off the two Maids, and Niles plunders the chest for a Venge Naginata, which for me is useless as I have no A Rank Lance users. Continuing downward, the lone Sorcerer in this room will attack through the door, so I just use Forrest to end his sorry life. Next comes the stressful part: dealing with the southern most room and the plethora of Berserkers and Generals.

Once the door is broken (again by Ophelia), the Generals and Berserkers on the left and right side of the room will begin to advance. Under normal circumstances, you might be prompted to use Xander or some other tanky armored unit like Ignatius to intercept them. However, all the generals carry Beast Killers, and all of the Berserkers carry Hammers. It's very clear to me that I am supposed to use Silvally holding the Dragonstone+ to intercept them. As I retreat to find footing in a good choke position, more Sorcerer and Maid reinforcements from the stairs before as well as the stairs right outside the Sorcerer room appear, causing me to squeeze every bit of utility from my units while intercepting the oncoming Generals and Berserkers. I did not clear the reinforcements all in one turn, but I did soften them up enough to where they would not be able to focus in on a vulnerable unit and kill them. After Draconic Hex does its dirty number on the Generals, I throw Velouria with the Beastrune into the fray despite being weak to the Beast Killers. This is because her HP more than makes up for a weapon advantage; Silvally being slightly weakened from intercepting so many attacks also left him more vulnerable and therefore the more likely target. After walling out the Generals and Berserkers, taking care of the reinforcements, and having to deal with Iago's staves, I was able to overtake the remaining enemies and proceed to advance again.

In the south room there should now be 6 units left: Two Maids, three Generals, and Hans. Hans is notoriously dangerous, sporting a massive Str and wielding the Aurgelmir, this game's S-Rank Axe (again, useless for me as I have no S-Rank Axe users). Aggroing the Generals causes more Berserker and General reinforcements to appear at the very bottom, and again I have to retreat while counterattacking the oncoming forces. Hans comes with Counter and Countermagic to make your life miserable trying to hit him as well as three offensive boosting skills in Death Blow, Armored Blow, and Certain Blow. I was able to take use of Kana's Draconic Hex using the Kodachi that we picked up way back in the beginning of the game, which made the whole process much easier to deal with. It's best to use Bow users like Niles or Nina to deal the bulk of damage to Hans before swooping in with a heavy hitter.

The two Maids come with Freeze, which isn't too bad to deal with. Be careful of the Entrap Maid in the connecting room on the left! Getting Entrapped by her will prompt the Faceless in the room to attack you and call reinforcements on the left, which puts you on a timer before they destroy all the doors and aggro the whole group. Luckily, Stoneborn in the rooms above won't attack you here.

Finally, we arrive at Iago's room. Iago is a very dangerous boss much like Hans, equipped with the legendary tome Excalibur (which I would use if Ophelia were S-Rank Tomes smh), but Shigure's Warding Blow as well as Foleo's Tomebreaker and Seal Magic again make this boss trivial at best. The chests around him contain Bifröst, a 1-time use get out of jail free reviving staff, 20000G, and a Seraph Robe. After collecting the goods, I seize the throne and clear the chapter.

Whew, now we're there! The endgame chapters, 27 and Endgame, are the only remaining chapters standing between me and victory. Before that, let's recap our levels and reset count:
    Resets Added: 1
    Total Resets: 83
    Levels:
    Silvally: Lv20/20
    Felicia: Lv33
    Xander: Lv--/16
    Camilla: Lv--/20
    Leo: Lv--/17
    Elise: Lv--/16
    Azura: Lv40
    Niles: Lv20/19
    Charlotte!Kana: Lv20/17
    Niles!Shigure: Lv20/16
    Selena!Midori: Lv20/18
    Felicia!Forrest: Lv20/18
    Elise!Ophelia: Lv20/20
    Camilla!Ignatius: Lv20/18
    Beruka!Velouria: Lv20/19
    Azura!Nina: Lv20/20

And, before diving in to the last chapter, I take all of those stored stat boosters and soup up my party to patch up any stats I thought were lacking. I used all stat boosters except the Arms Scroll and the 2 Boots I still have in my possession.

Chapter 27: The Empty King and Endgame: Night Breaks Through
    [​IMG]
    Let's start with Chapter 27. This is reminiscent of Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade's penultimate chapter, containing chambers and a "final boss" at the back. The difference here is that each chamber only contains one enemy (or three, if you consider the top 2) and a Cleric. Each Cleric has a special enemy-only staff (of course it is) called "Entrap" which functions like normal Entrap but has infinite range and 200 Hit. In other words, you're getting got by it. There are a few ways around this though. For one, the Clerics will not Entrap units in the little hallways to the chambers. And two, they will Entrap seemingly randomly. I abused this in two ways. The first dealt with the first point I made, which is I threw basically everyone not named Silvally into a corridor thanks to all of the high Movement characters I had. I placed Ignatius, Midori, Xander, and Camilla in the upper left room to keep the Swordmasters occupied as Ignatius takes no damage from them. Secondly, I allowed a unit to get Entrapped midway through the chapter. This takes advantage of the fact that the Entrap places me on the other side of the Cleric outside of the range of attack by enemies.

Back to talking about enemies though. The bottom four rooms offer very little challenge unless they Entrap someone with a weapon disadvantage, which I avoided entirely by having Silvally be the one Entrapped, as Dragonstone doesn't have weaknesses. I handled the bottom right room with Forrest and Shigure and overall units with high Res, while the Master Ninja was taken care of by Nina. The Berserker and Sniper often had to come out of their rooms to attack, which was fine because Ophelia was there to intercept both after I broke the Cleric's Entrap uses. Up in the left, Ignatius and Xander hold a choke for the Soldiers and the Merchant with Spendsthrift. It's dangerous to handle the Soldiers with anything other than ranged physical damage, as they possess Counter and Countermagic which I will admit cost me a few resets because I forgot. Savage Blow from Ignatius helped a lot in getting HP numbers down while Xander provided more ranged offense from his Siegfried.

The upper right room has three Spearmasters. These guys all come with high stats and Seal Defense, which makes them difficult to attack or intercept. Nina is able to ORKO them with Shining Bow when she is paired up with a Magic user, however, and makes an easy meal out of two of the three thanks to Azura's singing.

The only enemy remaining is the mess that is Garon. He is arguably the easiest part of this chapter, as Silvally takes little damage from him when paired up with Ignatius. I take this opportunity to grind Felicia's Staff proficiency to A, which will let me use Bifröst in the Endgame should things go awry. After getting that rank, I just throw a buffed up Silvally at his face, use the Shadow Yato, and finish Garon off with Xander.

Now at this point, if you were playing the game blind, you might think the next Endgame chapter is a bunch of baloney. And boy is it! It's probably the most unfair chapter in the game, thanks to really inconvenient positioning of Maids, enemy units, and infinite Faceless reinforcements. Did I mention that the Faceless reinforcements self-destruct at low health and that the final boss throws a wave attack every two turns? Yeah, it's very unfair. Fortunately for me, I still have a Rescue charge left, which with the ability to use my 12 move Shigure, turns this nightmare of a chapter into a very short "make it or break it" one.

The first two turns are for setting me up. I proc the Dragon Vein with Ophelia early on, Dance and buff her up, and then take her down to ORKO the Oni Chieftain south of the rock. This aggros the others onto Ophelia as well, which she needed to dodge at least one of their 42 hit attacks (she ended up dodging all of them).

On turn 2, I need to choke the incoming Heroes and Onmyoji by placing Ignatius and Xander on the left and Felicia and Forrest on the right. This ensures that no one is able to picked off on Enemy phase, when Takumi unleashes his first (useless) wave. For the rest of turn 2, I buffed up Nina, sent Silvally down some more, and placed Nina with Velouria pair up in a very particular position to aggro the Paladins and Malig Knights blocking a straight path to Takumi.

Basically, I bait all of the Enfeebling Maids to target Nina, whose Lucky Seven skill lets her keep a high amount of avoid despite getting severely weakened by Inevitable End. I took the earlier turn opportunities to use up the remainder of my 3 Silence Charges, which helped because one of the Maids does indeed carry Freeze, which can completely screw up my attempt to cheese the chapter. After aggroing the bottom Paladins and Malig Knights to attack Nina (she lived by the way, but even if she had died, I had Bifröst ready to go on Felicia), I clear the path for Shigure to waltz all the way down, Rescue Silvally (making sure he is within the 10-range of it), and attack Takumi.

This is the "make or break" moment. Silvally's Shadow Yato does indeed negate Dragonskin's normal effect of halving damage, but that isn't enough even with Charlotte pair up to ORKO Takumi normally. I needed to proc Dragon Fang twice in order to end the game. It's important to note that I reclassed Silvally to Hero right before going to face Takumi. This gives Silvally a significant Skl boost while leaving his Str unchanged. After 14 resets (combines both Chapter 27 and Endgame), I was able to land both Dragon Fangs and complete the game.

~~~~~~~~

Thanks for sticking with me on this journey! There's sure to be more to come when the new Fire Emblem Echoes comes out, and I'm also sure that our other resident Lunatic @R Inanimate will likely be writing up his own tales when that drops. For now, I'll just be looking forward to St. Louis Regionals and more Fire Emblem Heroes! It's been a blast guys, peace out.

Resets Added: 14
    Total Resets: 97
    Chapter with most Resets: Ch23, with 20.
    Chapter with most Turns: Ch22, with 77.
    Top 5 Most useful Unit:
    • Beruka!Velouria. Really good support and offensive unit, my first time using her, but she's definitely better than Keaton.
    • Azura!Nina. Nina in general is very hard to screw up, and bow users are especially valuable in this game.
    • Silvally. Naturally, the main lord is bound to be at least decent, but my use here of him as a Glassish Cannon worked out well.
    • Niles!Shigure. Another solid kid, but blessed this run by Movement+1 inheritance. Useful, generally outstanding unit.
    • Elise!Ophelia. She hit 38 Mag and STILL WASN'T CAPPED. Her other stats were all great, somehow she ended up having a lot more HP than I would have expected her to have.
    Honorable Mention: Camilla. Not sure if the game is possible to beat without using her generously.

Top 5 Least useful Units aka units I used but they were meh at best:
    • Selena!Midori. In theory, she would have been really good versus the Mechanists and Automatons plaguing the latter half of the game, but she was way too slow and Merchant class isn't really that good. Still good as pair up fodder and single turn high damage output though!
    • Charlotte!Kana. She had very little Str compared to her parents. While her Spd was fine, all other stats were somewhat lacking. I used her mostly for the Draconic Hex.
    • Effie!Sophie. Last time, I had a Camilla!Sophie, and she turned out great, but Effie!Sophie didn't turn out that great. She was dropped later on as you may have seen.
    • Silas. Similar reason for Sophie, I just had a lot more plans for a lot of other units. Not being pair up fodder for Camilla killed his chances of seeing endgame chapters.
    • Odin. After getting Elise!Ophelia, I ditched Odin entirely because Ophelia just did everything he did better. He was good for the time he was used though, surprisingly.
    Honorable Mention: Nyx. I really tried to make her work, but her first few levels were so god-awful that I dropped her directly following her recruitment chapter.

[​IMG]

R Inanimate, momoVGC and Stratos like this.
  20. R Inanimate

Nice, you managed to keep it under 100 Resets. \o/
    Endgame is very much a chapter where you have to go fast or else you'll likely lose. I'm not sure how I ended up with just enough in me with my team to figure out a way to beat the chapter without a quick kill strat and without taking a death, but it was a pretty great feeling when I had the chapter "Solved".

JHufself likes this.