Starting out on VGC: learning to teambuild

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Otto, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Otto

Otto New Member

Hi all,
    Just joined Trainer Tower (howdy!) to improve my VGC game. Got quite some experience in the regular Smogon OU/UU singles metagame and I recently started playing doubles. I already get the differences in playstyle between singles and doubles. Something that remains difficult for me is teambuilding. Of course, teambuilding is the hardest aspect of the game, but in my case it is a case of "no clue what I am doing". Could you guys please give me some advice how to teambuild?

For example:
    -What tools do you use? (Do you have a threat list near you? A (damage) calculator?)
    -How do you find new synergies/cores?

Thanks in advance!

2. Eviltwin

Eviltwin New Member

Usually i watch big event streams to understand the meta game sinergies. Trainer tower also has the best team comp/meta analisys articles on pokemon VGC, and those help a lot. I think the best way to learn is really to play, and after every match think how you could've had played better. For example, if you make a very fast team, eventually you loose to a trick room team. And then, you need to upgrade your stategy to defeat them. I recommend you to choose a core, and build the team to help that core. Also, watch aaron zheng vids on youtube, they are great for starters

3. JediR

JediR Member

Hi @Otto

To add to what Eviltwin said, this site also has a damage calculator (link is on the home page, not the forums), and this: http://www.trainertower.com/trainer-tower-vgc-17-meta-snapshot-april-may-2017/ can help you see what the meta is like (even though it's a bit old it's still relevant). Also, on the topic of youtubers, Aaron Zheng (cybertronproductions) (as Eviltwin said) is good, but there are other good ones too, Josh Lorcy, James Baek, Jamie Boyt, Baz Anderson, Wolfe Glick and I'm sure others have good channels too, which will not only help you learn teambuilding, but just generally learn VGC. all have varying levels of seriousness though (I don't actually watch YouTube myself so I can only tell you what I've heard). And also, if you're super new, there's no shame in taking a team that someone else made! I know I did it when I first started out, and it really does help you learn about how to build your own teams by seeing (and reading in the reports) the synergy between Pokémon, why certain sets were used, and how the different cores work.

Good Luck with VGC!

Eviltwin likes this.
  4. Nazara

Nazara Member

Steal teams, nobody in VGC build their own. :p