Team breakdown: Poliwag! (but is it good?) (VGC 2017)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LegnaK, May 10, 2017.

1. LegnaK

LegnaK New Member

Hey everyone! First time here and by request I am here to give a brief analysis of a team I've been using as of late (abit on an alt) and since it did get me to a score of 1500 on the ladder (which isn't that great, I get it) I figured I should point out the pros and cons for said team:

I swallow ;) (Pelipper) @ BrightPowder
    Ability: Drizzle
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hurricane
    - Tailwind
    - Scald
    - Protect

Mini Pepe (Poliwag) (M) @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump
    - Haze
    - Protect

Edgemaster (Lycanroc-Midnight) @ Life Orb
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Protect
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Fang
    - Sucker Punch

Lusamine (Pheromosa) @ Fightinium Z
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice Beam
    - Poison Jab
    - Protect

Papercuts (Kartana) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Smart Strike
    - Sacred Sword
    - Protect

Twicedead (Marowak-Alola) (M) @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Bonemerang
    - Flare Blitz
    - Shadow Bone
    - Protect

Now that the team is out of the way, some things should be noted within the team - the team heavily relies on rain so other weather setters such as Gigalith, Torkoal, and even slow Vanilluxe prove to be an issue with using this team - unless you can figure out the leads early on.

First of all lets start with the pros and cons of the star of this team and possibly the biggest underdog of VGC 2017 - Poliwag.
    Poliwag initially started as a joke as I recently caught one during a shiny hunting stream and I thought "Why not make this work in the VGC?" suffice to say, I went through with it and it actually to my surprise does rather well.

Pros:
    - Poliwag is tied with its older brother Poliwhirl as the fastest swift swim Pokemon allowed in the 2017 meta and if memory serves the two are the fastest over all, with a modest set its speed tops off at an astounding 284 speed in the rain, allowing it to take on threats such as Arcanine, Kartana, and even Tapu koko with its rain boosted Waterium Z.

- Poliwag makes a great "WTF" factor that tends to throw people off in a Best of one situation, however in Bo3 many people tend to target Poliwag as it is capable of taking out Pokemon such as Tapu koko, Arcanine, Torkoal (out of the sun) so in all it makes a great natural redirection Pokemon paired with the fact that only a choice band Arcanine can take it out with Extreme speed.

- Poliwag is capable of taking out tougher teams such as the Eeveeboost teams with haze and while in rain, can punish rock and ground type Pokemon that try and set up against it.

- Poliwag can learn encore, inside rain it makes it a very dangerous Pokémon to protect against or attempt setting up.

- Poliwag is adorable.

Now we move to the cons of the Pokémon.

- Poliwag is incredibly weak, so much to say that even in rain, its normal hydro pump doesn't kill many things and other Pokémon SEVERLY outclass this little tadpole in every aspect.

- Outside of rain, Poliwag is essentially useless with its measly max sp.att of 101, hardly even tickling Pokemon such as Garchomp with its ice beam attack.

- Without Waterium Z, Poliwag becomes a very unpredicable Pokémon with Hydro Pumps accuracy of only 80%, something that happens to miss more often than not.

- practically everything can kill Poliwag with ease, meaning that after it fires off its Hydro Vortex, it's dead weight.

- Poliwag relies heavily on its allies to pick up the remaining kills, leaving a much more desired mon to be at risk of a switch in attack on Poliwag.

All in all - Poliwag is HEAVILY outclassed even by its evolution Poliwhirl, its gimmicky as all heck, its weak, its frail, but if you want something for a chuckle that can actually dish out some damage on a rain team and you don't want Golduck, I recommend Poliwag, or at least Poliwhirl as they are both hilarious.

Team notes -
    Pelliper holds a brightpowder just to add to the joke.
    Alolan Marowak is pretty much useless on stopping Powerful electric type Pokémon as Poliwag tends to stop them first.

----

Did I miss anything you all want to know about the team? let me know and I will answer the questions below and add to the main post!

JediR likes this.
  2. Pudgeysaurus

Pudgeysaurus New Member

Change poliwag for Golduck. You'll get those KOs you're missing out on

Wult and LegnaK like this.
  3. LegnaK

LegnaK New Member

Most definitely, but this was just mainly as a gag to run it and I actually started taking this one seriously.

Lobster Rolls and JediR like this.
  4. Lobster Rolls

Lobster Rolls Member

As I've said before, I really dig this idea. The only thing that outspeeds it without boosts is Raichu-A in Electric Terrain, but I haven't seen to many of those floating around. If it were just a matter of power, then I would agree and run Golduck, but I think having a different support option in Haze makes this a worthwhile option. Also I can confirm that Poliwag/Poliwhirl with Haze wrecks EvoBoost teams.

LegnaK likes this.