Team Critique - Vgc 18 M-Mawile TR

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Ithi, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Ithi

Ithi New Member

Hey guys! Am a rather new member on Trainer Tower and this would be my first ever post here and with the vgc18 metagame finally underway I thought I'd build a M-Mawile team seeing how successful it was in TR in VGC 15 I thought I'd give it a shot. Although it has shown great success so far within early stages of testing I do feel it has some weaknesses I can't quite identify which is why I'm posting it here. Anyways I am very proud of this team and without further ado lets check out the members!

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate
    Level: 50
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Protect
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Play Rough

Primarily pokemon I chose to play with the team. All around amazing offense with an even higher attack thanks to Huge Power it makes an amazing offensive threat once TR is up. Set is fairly standard. Protect to fish out moves. Iron head for stab against anything that resists Play rough. Rock Slide hits both opposing pokemon and with Zapdos being fairly popular it is rather nice to have when accompanied by helping hand. Play rough is its primary stab move against almost anything in the current meta. Ev Spread I feel is self explanatory max hp max atk for maximum effeciency in trick room. 0 speed in iv to be as slow as possible and brave helps bring its speed to a total of 49 which underspeeds almost everything except amoonguss in trick room.

Gothitelle @ Mago Berry
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Protect
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Helping Hand

Gothitelle our one and only trick room setter on the team. Primarily chosen over cresselia simply because of its ability shadow tag. Shadow tag helps keep the leading mons in making it hopefully easier to play around my opponent's mons and set up trick room that much quicker. When Paired with things such as rotom-wash it does make an excellent lead as gothitelle can simply protect as rotom-wash picks up the kill vs Lando-T for example. Wasn't too sure what to run as an ev spread So I sort of ended up running the following one. Max hp was standard 172 spdef was for the following calc - 252+ SpA Aegislash-Shield Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Gothitelle: 122-146 (68.9 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Was satisfied with this. Rest of the evs were dunked into defenses. Psychic is stab Helping hand is support for its paired pokemon to deal more damage. Protect again to fish out moves and see what my opponent will do to it or attempt to.

Black Tyrant (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power

Really wanted some sort of fast support pokemon outside of tr for best of 3's So I decided to get in Old Reliable from previous experience hydreigon! Did like this dreigon set in particular. Although I am heavily considering dropping scarf for darkium z or dropping it all together for something else. I feel the set is rather standard. Draco and dark pulse primary stab moves. Flamethrower for grass/steel coverage ep for steel/fire/rock/poison coverage. Max speed and spatk for maximum effectiveness for this set.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 48 Def / 28 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Knock Off
    - Curse
    - Protect

Credits to PokeAlex's London International Figy Berry Muk set for this beauty. Only thing I ended up changing was dunking the rest of the speed evs into spdef for trick room purposes. Poison Jab and knock off for primary stab. Curse is to set up in or out of trick room to basically be the fastest mon in said trick room. protect for fishing out moves again.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 56 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Horn Leech
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Rock Slide

This was a VGC 17 Bulu I had used. Set is standard. Horn leech and wood hammer for stab. Super power hard hits things such as m-kanghaskan/tran whilst in trick room. Rock slide for spread damage and punishes the oh so common zapdos. Bulu has an enormous attack as it can afford to invest into some other evs.
    • 252 HP / 36 SpD allows Tapu Bulu to survive Timid Pelipper's Hurricane 97.5% of the time, then use Horn Leech and recover HP. Hence I decided to invest more into the special defensive side + assault vest to tank attacks such as this more easily.
    Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 56 SpA / 100 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Protect
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunderbolt

Finally rotom-wash. Seeing as this team does struggle vs lando t majorly needed something to beat it hence rotom-wash. Also needed to be able to tank common threats such as lele well so I calc'd the following - 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Rotom-Wash in Psychic Terrain: 100-118 (63.6 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO And it'd always be sure to activate my berry on the second hit thus making it a 4hko. Chose to invest 100 defense to better tank physical threats such as m-kanghaskan. Rest was dunked into spatk to fire off a little more firepower with hydro pump and tbolt. Set explanation is standard again. Hydro being primary move along with tbolt. protect to scout and will-o-wisp to get some chip damage and weaken physical mons.

Final thoughts on the team -
    Seeing through extensive testing I am willing to drop the following mons - hydreigon and bulu. Even in best of 3's I've never really seen myself bring them into the battlefield as much as I'd like to and personally I could use any and all advice I can get with this team. I've had a lot of fun using this team overall I personally think its more casual if anything but I would like to make it more competitive for any upcoming tournaments.

Additional info - https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-t...ega+rotom-wash+gothitelle+hydreigon+tapu-bulu type matchups for the team incase you're wondering.

2. AtTehCross

AtTehCross Member

So something I noticed that is off is your Gothitelle's calc for Aegislash's Never-Ending Nightmare. You calc'd for Aegislash in Shield form, but the attack should be calc'd in Blade Form. That'll significantly change the calc.

Something I've been seeing used with on ladder with Goth-Maw is a rain mode. Either Pelipper or Politoed paired up with Ludicolo is what is used. Pelipper is a good for Tailwind speed control and the flying typing lets it deal with Grass types better. On the other hand, Politoed can run Perish Song to synergize with Gothitelle's Shadow Tag to create a semi-Perish Trap Mode. Ludicolo has Fake Out which is great for supporting the Trick Room set-up if you go with that mode. Overall, the rain mode gives the team a good fast mode while weakening Fire type moves for Mawile and Bulu.

I hope this helps to give you an idea of something you can try with the team!

Ithi likes this.
  3. Ithi

Ithi New Member

Aye thanks! I'll look into it and do some testing with the hybrid rain/trick room with m-mawile :]

AtTehCross likes this.