Teammates for Torkoal + Lilligant? (Team building help)

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Matt Gomez (Kyappu/Cap'), Jan 30, 2017.

1. Matt Gomez (Kyappu/Cap')

Matt Gomez (Kyappu/Cap') New Member

Please do not say Oranguru, I am not adding it to my team.

I'm looking for partners that synergize super well with the couple, while being able to counter mons that wall it.

Thanks! (I'm bad at team building lol)

2. SneakNSnore

SneakNSnore Member

Well if you're using Torkoal, and not Oranguru, who's your Trick Room setter?
    Mimikyu is very reliable to set TR up.
    Pory2 is the most meta setter.
    Slowbro would let it set up and ensure water/grass/fire is covered.

avdc90 likes this.
  3. AtmosphereVGC

AtmosphereVGC Member

yeah good question though imo you don't need a trick room setter and you can use it kinda as a bulky mon that can take advantage of your opponent going for trick room take the sun dude- Joohwan Kim who got 2nd at Georgia Regional and also Black0vgc who got 2nd at the melbourne challenge as an example of that.

4. avdc90

avdc90 New Member

Torkoal does pretty much require trick room. Slowbro makes sense coverage-wise, and with Oblivious it can't be stopped by taunt. Pory2 is a taunt magnet. Mimikyu is an interesting option, although you might have to run Mental herb on it.

Other than trick room setters you have to consider Torkoal's weaknesses. A great switch in to water or ground types is necessary. You could have this be covered by separate roles with things like gastrodon and vikavolt. Gastrodon stops Arcanine , which is a common lead to counter sun. Vikavolt with gastrodon will stop rain. Both of these work well in trick room. However, it is a good idea to not always rely on trick room. In this instance it may help to add team members that are naturally fast or are holding a scarf. I might suggest zmove lele to wipe out opposing Arcanine (in psychic terrain of course) .

5. SneakNSnore

SneakNSnore Member

Well he's got Lilligant/Torkoal, which is usually a "Fast Mode" option for a proper trick room team. But Torkoal is totally reliant on Trick Room or Lilligant to get those powerful eruptions off, because once he takes damage you night as well have brought another Fire type.

6. welliforgot

welliforgot Member

You're doing it wrong if the team is trying to support the torkoal instead of supporting the lilligant. Run Tapu Bulu and Tapu Lele so you can fire off terrain boosted z-nature power with lilligant after switching torkoal.

On a slightly more serious note, nihilego counters a lot of lilligant/torkoal counter like arcanine, marowak who resist most attacks and hit back harder ironically from the sun boost. Salamence and lele can also deal with bulky sap-sipper dragon types that also tank lilligant and torkoal's crap while salamence also having access to tectonic rage to counter muks. Having tr sometimes let's you run ez-mode eruption spam torkoal, but never run this option against an opposing gigalith or araquanid. especially gigalith. If you must run tr, only run it once counters to the strategy have been neutralized.

Of course, the most important member in the equation is lilligant. going grassium-z let's you oko many targets torkoal hates, especially garchomp. With grassy terrain, you could even potentially snipe a thick fat snorlax. leaf storm without grassium z can also oko tapu fini who can tank torkoal for days unless you run fissure on torkoal.

Pyritie, Kali, blarajan and 2 others like this.
  7. BreederBen

BreederBen Member

8. ZeManaphy

ZeManaphy New Member

You really want an answer to Goodra. Goodra totally walls these two. Consider a check to Goodra like Tapu Lele or Garchomp.

9. Ace Trainer Andrew

Ace Trainer Andrew Member

Personally, I have just started using this duo. I haven't had much success yet on Showdown, but an instrumental factor in the victories I have earned has been my Mudsdale. With AV, the thing is a tank, and it can really counter Arcanine, Muk, etc. It also appreciates the sun halving water damage. In addition, Heavy Slam can KO Tapu Lele, which otherwise hits Torkoal pretty hard.