Thoughts on the Anaheim Open

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DualistX, Jun 28, 2017.

1. DualistX

DualistX Member Editor

I'm making this post as a preemptive place to discuss what we do or don't like about the recently announced Anaheim Open. Share your thoughts below!

2. kingofmars

kingofmars Well-Known Member

Gives a huge cp boost to those who can make it, with a guarantee that the best players cant make it. Plus in the age of snowballing where early cp is so important, winning this might be more valuable than top 16 at worlds.

The all lowest record cut thing is a neccesity due to the -1 round but still pretty silly.

I was against this in 2015 and Im against this now

3. TapuKimo

TapuKimo Member

Not huge on such an event's existence but I think it makes sense

If you are at Worlds, and in this case a competent player who is no longer in the tour or wasn't in the first place, you're probably going to get kind of bored. I haven't been to Worlds where I haven't played yet but I imagine that there would be little reason to sit in a venue when I could just explore the area with the people in the same boat.

Regardless of whether or not the Open is a good event to have in a long-term perspective, it fills a void that exists at Worlds due to simple lack of things to do if you aren't a player.

4. Wyrms Eye

Wyrms Eye Member

So honest answer as to my thoughts on the Open as an event is I really couldn't give a flying Raticate's arse about it because I'm not going and honestly I'm not in any 'likely' position to be unduly penalized by it as a player going forward for stipends and such next season. Personal opinion, I can completely understand where people have strong views on the subject, especially as there's no real precedent set on where this will incorporate to potential paid trips for the 2018 season or not, certainly in the early months and as a result we have no real knowledge where this could lead for players on their potential ability to 'snowball' invites.

Aside from that I do want to at least give some broad figures to the cut structure for the Anaheim Open, on the request of Jason's advice. Just as a foreword, I don;t agree with having one less Swiss Round, but I am in favour of the idea of giving top cut places to everybody who matches the record of the player who would otherwise be the lowest ranked top cut player. Under normal circumstances this usually leads to a X-2 cut and the flexibility of the system removes the complaints of resistance being the deciding factor on who does cut. I am aware that this does mean an additional round of top cut, possibly even two, and there's the debate on top cut pairing luck being a factor, which someone has notably brought to my attention in debate. However, I can't begin to point out how many times I heard the complaint of wanting an x-2 cut system. I think this is a solid compromise, just not the way Anaheim plans to do it by removing a Swiss Round. Anyway, the figures (the two columns under 'Swiss-1 Round' on the left are applicable to Anaheim Open, the right two under Normal Swiss Rounds gives a comparison to what the cut figures could be at the same number of players).

[​IMG]
    I don't mind if you scorn my viewpoint, frankly at this stage I've seen enough to understand universal unity on structure subjects is going to be akin to something like Nuclear Disarmament or World Peace.

5. Archimom

Archimom New Member

My first reaction is, in case my daughter doesn't make Worlds Day 2, this is a heck of a lot cheaper than a day at Disneyland, and probably more fun than watching stream all day!

I'm still trying to figure out the whole different method for figuring out who goes on to Day 2 (for the Open), and the ramifications.

6. shinryu

shinryu New Member

More CP can't hurt I suppose if you can make it and get signed up for it. Though heck I'm still trying to figure out if I need to buy a spectator badge in addition to buying the Open registration, I don't really plan on watching anything in Worlds but just wanna play in the open. Guess it depends on if the Open is considered a "side event" by them or not...and yes it's late, so it's possible I misread everything. /disclaimer

7. Archimom

Archimom New Member

"Entry and Badges
    All participants in the Anaheim Open must already have a badge to enter the World Championships event space, either as a main event competitor or by purchasing a spectator badge. Spectator badges can be purchased during Anaheim Open registration if they are still available. A spectator badge will allow access into the main event hall to watch the main event and to participate in other side events."

If you don't have your Worlds invite, and therefore have a badge that way, you will need to purchase a spectator badge to participate in the Anaheim Open, according to that. (Or, a parent/guardian/companion badge, since they are allowing one per competitor, regardless of age, which is a nice change.) Although considering that most Regionals are costing at least $20, this is on par for an event that gives Regionals-level CP, and without competing with anyone who was good enough to get a Day 2 invite.