Triple the Ducks, Triple the Fun! : A VGC'17 RMT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMinimizer, Jan 28, 2017.

1. TheMinimizer

TheMinimizer Member

(If the mods eventually make an RMT forum, just throw this in there;))
    Hello, I'm TheMinimizer, also known as Murray McKenzie. I have been playing VGC for about 2 years and I consider myself "gud" especially after I placed 2nd at the London Internationals in the Senior Division. After the vent, I started coming up with a new team involving speedy Marowak and Scarf Lele. Unfortunately, that team, even with a Garchomp and a Gastrodon, always struggled, at least somewhat, to Alolan Muk. So, I thought let's build a new one around it. So, let's start off with Muk.
    [​IMG]
    Ivan (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 116 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Protect
    Here it is, a standard Muk. Knock and Jab for accurate STABs, the obligatory Protect and then the slightly underwhelming Shadow Sneak. Whilst it is underwhelmig, I do think it is easily the best last move for Muk, allowing it to pick off Sash mons and doing a tiny bit of chip before it goes down. Figy Berry gives this already somewhat bulky mon an extra 50% health, which is very nice indeed, allowing to to barely survive stuuff, hen just heal up. The 116+ Atk is so I always OHKO offensive Lele with Jab. Unfortunately, I've forgotten what the Def/SpD split is for, but it is still bulky nonetheless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    116+ Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 146-174 (100.6 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Muk-Alola: 87-103 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Muk-Alola: 138-164 (65 - 77.3%) -- 7.8% chance to 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Muk-Alola in Electric Terrain: 121-142 (57 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    164+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Muk-Alola: 69-82 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 1.6% chance to 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Muk-Alola: 84-100 (39.6 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    [​IMG]
    Daffy (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Trick Room
    - Recover
    After looking at the teams from cut at from London and San José, I made a table of Muk's partners. Turns out P2 was on almost 70% of Top Cut teams which had Muk. Turns out it is quite hard to take down both Muk and Porygon2. Anyways, the set. Ice Beam is my only attacking move because I found it to be the most useful (Takes down Garchomp, Mence and Kartana) and also because I didn't have room for any others. Trick Room is nice in case I'm against super speedy mons with my slower mons. Recover is just a good move. Everyone should run it. Finally, Toxic. I have won quite a few of my games just being able to toxic stall down a mon. I've done it with Gastrodons, other P2s and even stuff like Vikavolt and Vanilluxe. The SpD is to live Modest Golduck Hydro Vortex+Pelipper Scald over 99% of the time so I could safely get up TR against speedy rain teams. Then I just dumped the rest into defence.
    252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 114-135 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 51-60 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Psychic Terrain: 69-82 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 160-192 (87.4 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
    0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 84-99 (62.2 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    [​IMG]
    Toro (Tapu Bulu) @ Miracle Seed
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 108 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Protect
    The 3rd and final slow mon on my team, Tapu Bulu. I wanted another bulky mon to take hits with, a mon who could remove terrains, get of huge damage and also support Muk and P2. Bulu fitted all of these requirements. On my London team, I had Bloom Doom Bulu, however, with Wood Hammer as its only STAB move, it was just killing itself. Horn Leech is a nice move to heal up whilst still doing tremendous damage to your opponent. This is also my main answer to Gigalith on the team, aswell as Gastrodon. I initially had 44 Atk on a previous spread to Ohko Offensive Lele in Psychic Terrain, but the old one had unneeded Spe EVs so I dumped them into Atk. The defence is to live Garchomp Jab. Superpower I'm a bit iffy on. it's helped quite a bit V Magnezone and occasionally Kartana. But that is all it is used for. I am definitely considering putting on Sub or Leech Seed in that slot instead.
    60+ Atk Meadow Plate Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 147-174 (101.3 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Tapu Bulu: 148-176 (83.6 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
    60+ Atk Meadow Plate Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 184-217 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Tapu Bulu: 81-96 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
    252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Tapu Bulu: 52-62 (29.3 - 35%) -- 8.8% chance to 3HKO
    [​IMG]
    Donald (Pelipper) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Scald
    - Soak
    - Hydro Pump
    [​IMG]
    Canaria (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Protect
    [​IMG]
    Daisy (Golduck) (F) @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Scald
    - Encore
    - Protect
    These 3 Pokémon were all put on the team at the same time. They are all meant to work with each other. Golduck is just standard double duck. Not much to be said other than that Encore can be really nice to shut some stuff down and that the speed is for ScarfTana. Koko is Modest in order to underspeed Pelipper and fire off massive damage. It outspeeds regular Kartana, has Thunder cos rain and Volt Switch is extremely nice to bring in bulkier mons, set up Rain or Grassy Terrain. The star of the show here is Pelipper. "SCARF!?!?! SOAK!?!! THIS MAN IS CRAZY. HE'S MADE A MEME!" Indeed. from the brain of DuncanKneeDeep and refined by me, Scarf Soak Pelipper is absolutely amazing in my opinion. Firstly, EVERYONE expects you to be sash and to be wanting to set up Tailwind. NOPE! There have been countless times where Scarf has won me the game either by making the opponent Taunt or just plain not expecting it and getting outsped. Hydro Pump is just nice for big damage. I also outspeed Salazzle with it, which is nice as Salazzle can be a pain. And I am Timid in order to outspeed my own Koko.
    HOW TO MEME 101
    1.)Lead Pelipper and Koko
    2.)Soak the victim of the meme with Pelipper
    3.)Kill it with Thunder from Koko
    4.)Laugh maniacally
    5.) Soak and repeat, possibly with Bulu or to Toxic Celesteela with P2
    I absolutely love this set.
    252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunder vs. 244 HP / 176 SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Electric Terrain: 198-234 (103.6 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego in Electric Terrain: 130-153 (70.2 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunder vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Muk-Alola in Electric Terrain: 160-188 (75.4 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery
    252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 28 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 112-133 (75.1 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 112-133 (75.1 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko in Rain: 144-171 (98.6 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
    252 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 158-188 (89.2 - 106.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
    252 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 84 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Kartana: 84-100 (57.9 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 140+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 64-76 (33.5 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 244 HP / 140+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 115-136 (60.2 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 84 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 117-138 (80.6 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Weaknesses:
    Pheromosa: Outspeeds and threatens to OHKO everything
    HardTR/Hariyama: Bunch of strong bulky mons faster than mine and I can't prevent it going up with Hariyama around
    Gigalith:IDK How. It's just bulky, strong and gets rid of Rain
    So, there's my team, with a little bit of memes. I'm sure a few of the EV spreads can be greatly improved, so I want to hear from you! What should I run on Bulu? Do I need a new Muk spread? Are my memes trash?(hint:they aren't).All constructive criticism is welcome. This is TheMinimizer signing out!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. GayBird

GayBird Active Member

A friend of mine got second at San Jose regional seniors with a really similar team, I think he was running magnezone over Bulu though. He said his biggest issue was with Alolan raichu, but the p2 looks like it covers that whole area.

I don't see many issues with the team, though Ninetales or hail in general can be worrying. Kartana looks a bit scary too, especially a vest set. You could experiment with magnezone or HP fire on Koko.

3. TheMinimizer

TheMinimizer Member

I've only ever experienced trouble with A-Raichu once and that was on low ladder against an electro ball one. I find Ninetales quite easy to deal with, with Bulu being able to take a Blizzard, Koko and Peli outspeeding and Muk just not dying to it. Vanilluxe is a bit more of a struggle however. I don't think I'll try HP Fire as I believe all of the moves I have on it are crucial (If I were to replace a move with something it would be HP Ice>Gleam) especially for the Chomp matchup. I might try out Zone, but then I would be extremely weak to Gastrodon, with my only way of dealing with it being to Toxic it. When a mon can easily wall your entire team, that is what we call a bad situation. AV Kart is somewhat manageable as Koko, Pelipper and Bulu all live a hit from it and do over 50%, Muk kind of also falls into that category aswell. So, whilst I probable won't try out your suggestions, thank you for the input nonetheless.

GayBird likes this.
  4. Cappa

Cappa New Member Editor

What sort of leads would you bring to particular matchups with this team? You discussed the scarf soak mode with Pelipper and Koko, what other modes would you play? P2 + "slow mons" was something you mentioned as well, but the Pelipper Koko mode is REEALLY fast, is this your answer to +130 base mons? Looks like an uhhhhhh, interesting team to play in Best of One ;)

5. TheMinimizer

TheMinimizer Member

Usually I lead Koko+Peli/Muk/P2 as I can volt switch out or Muk+P2, so that if they have a speedy team I can getup TR and apply pressure. Golduck is only brought if it can apply big pressure or 2 of my mons just don't do anything.