VGC 2018 Teambuilding Competition - Week 2 - Building - Mega Gyarados

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nerd of now, Feb 24, 2018.

1. nerd of now

nerd of now Member

Welcome to the VGC 2018 Teambuilding Competition! This was heavily inspired by the Doubles community's “Doubles Teambuilding Competition” on Smogon. This is a weekly competition in which anyone can join at any time. Basically, what we are going to do here is see who can build the better team, hence the name. Each week, there will be a an idea posted for everyone participating to build a team around. That idea can be a specific core, set, Pokémon, etc. Once your team is completed, you post an importable of a team featuring said concept in the thread. Along with the team, you will post a short summary that may include: your teambuilding process, how the team works, etc.; it'll look like a mini-RMT or small team report of sorts. A few days after posting the idea, submissions will close and then anyone can come and vote on the team which they think is best. The winner will have their team featured for everyone to see in the teams Hall of Fame.

Rules and Mechanics:

Here's the process of how this competition will be hosted: 5 days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!
    Format:
    <sprites>
    team goes here
    explanation of team goes here
    The spoiler tag is an option under the "+".

2 days of voting for the winning team

Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
    Importable of your team in a hide tag
    A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
    Basically, that means you'll be using two hidetags in total.
    It is recommended that you implement sprites (http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php), replays, or other things to improve your chances but you must have the two in the bullet points :]

If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags, not inside them.

Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.

Winning: If you win, congratulations! You'll have your Trainer Tower username and team featured in the Hall of Fame.

On Copying Teams: Please don't. This just ruins the fun we can get out of this competition and is against the rules. You'll be DQ'd from the week if you were found copying other people's teams. If you suspect someone of doing this, PM me. Hopefully no one would do this, but take this as a warning.

On Collaborative Teambuilding: It is allowed. If you do collab with someone or a group of people, everyone who worked on it will need to respond to the thread with everyone's name to confirm that they did collaborate. However, only one person may post the team and description of the team.

On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. Bandwagoning just ruins the spirit of this competition and isn't cool.

On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me! I'll consider it, but I can't promise that it'll be implemented.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; whatever set of moves you choose is reflective of your own skill as a builder, and having slashes in a submission would be against the point. This is your own team, not an analysis.

Hope everyone will have a good time with this!

Note: most of this excerpt was taken from talkingtree's Doubles Teambuilding Competition (www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-teambuilding-competition.3621925/), with minor edits by myself.

Thanks to the Trainer Tower team for approving this!

Hall of Fame

Week 1: Kommo-o by PinkSylvie
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gotta Go Fast (Accelgor) @ Electric Seed
    Ability: Unburden
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Protect
    - Final Gambit
    - Encore
    - Acid Spray

Rook (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off

Deathfire Grasp (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Drought
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 44 HP / 44 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Heat Wave
    - Tailwind
    - Flamethrower

Kommoh-No (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
    Ability: Soundproof
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Clanging Scales
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast

End of Days (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 76 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 164 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

Spark of Life (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Taunt
    The original concept of this team was hit hard and fast before the opponent could hit. Kommo-o was actually added to the team last, but the team generally capitalized off of it to hit mons for a ton of special spread damage. I used this team both for npa (won v chipuauVGC 2-1) and also got it to a rating of 1790 on the sd vgc18 ladder.

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Final Gambit
    - Encore
    - Acid Spray

The first mon to add, I wanted something that could be extremely fast and could exert pressure both itself or as a supporter. Accelgor hits 216 speed pre-unburden and has a maximum hp of 187. The 4 spatk was more of a dumb, since no other investment was really needed. Encore was to help support other mons on the team and encore mons such as zapdos, kangaskhan, fini into undesirable moves such as fake out or protect.

Spark of Life (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb /Electrium Z
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice] /Dazzling Gleam
    - Taunt

The second mon to add was a mon to directly support accelgor in action. Life orb or electrium Z is just a for preference thing. I didnt want to have to worry about accidentally z moving with koko if i brought kommo-o. HP ice or gleam is for either opposing lando-t or dragons. After some testing with the final team, I found hp ice to be more reliable. The evs are just standard VGC koko.

Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

At this point the team needed intimidate and a ground resist/immunity (accelgor doesnt count since it still takes up to half from a lando eq). It has speed to outspeed my own accelgor pre-unburden boost so accelgor can gambit ko mons that should be out of reach such as kangaskhan, zapdos. 76/20 bulk lets it live a modest max lele psychic in terrain. The rest was dumbed in attack. Standard moveset capitalizing on lando as a pivot and fast rs/eq mon.

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Heat Wave
    - Tailwind /Solar Beam
    - Flamethrower /Tailwind

At this point, the team needed a mega and a ground immunity. Charizard was added for extra offense to abuse accelgor. Tailwind was added for speed control, as the team had none in the final draft, but solar beam is still an option over one of the slots. I do not remember what this ev set does aside from being max speed.

Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off

At this point, the team was super weak to opposing scarf lando-t and trick room. Bisharp was added to pressure both of those. Sash gives bisharp some survivability, while max speed lets it outspeed most tapu fini. Iron head and knock off hit opposing cresselia and tapus for a lot of damage, and Sucker punch is for priority (which this team has none otherwise).

Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Clanging Scales
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast / Close Combat

The last mon to add, the team needed some more answers to snorlax and some 100% accurate spread. Kommo-o was added to not only help with that, but also abuse accelgor/koko/zardy/bisharp. The set itself is 252/252, as if u hit and ko first bulk isnt needed, but a bulkier set could also be used.

Week 2: Mega Gyarados by ?????

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Size, TTT and Mindape like this.
  2. nerd of now

nerd of now Member

To start things off, we have a Pokémon that was greatly hyped up for at Worlds with the reveal of its new Z move…

[​IMG]

Kommo-o, when first introduced in VGC 2017, was a Pokémon that I think many felt was subpar, to say the least. It did have a niche when used with Fightinium Z, as it had one of the most powerful special Fighting type attacks in the format, which was useful against threats like Snorlax; however, with the prevalence of Fairy types in the format and lack of proper support, Kommo-o hardly saw any play, with better Fighting types like Hariyama and Pheromosa being favored over it. This wasn't the end for Kommo-o, though. At Worlds 2017, Kommo-o's new Z move, Clangerous Soulblaze, was revealed. It might very well be the best Z move introduced: it deals spread damage, and gives Kommo-o a +1 boost in each of its stats. While this would sound broken on some of the better Pokémon, Kommo-o wasn't quite good enough for it to become an issue, but it certainly was enough to give Kommo-o a boost in usage it needed. Come November, Kommo-o was creeping up on the ladder, reaching to the Top 15 on Battle Spot. While its exclusive Z move certainly helped it reach higher heights, it wasn't the sole contributor to this sudden spike in usage; access to more supportive Pokémon, like Togekiss and Scrafty; and more offensive partners like Mega Charizard Y, assisted in getting Kommo-o's numbers up. There have been a number of unique ways people have built around Kommo-o, so it'll be interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

Submissions will close Wednesday, February 28th at 11:59 pm EST, so get your teams in before then!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    TTT and PinkSylvie like this.
  3. TTT

TTT Active Member NPA 7 Champion

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

Naganadel @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Beast Boost
    Timid Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Draco Meteor
    - Tailwind
    - Protect

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Drain Punch
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 20 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Heat Wave
    - Overheat
    - Earth Power
    - Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
    Ability: Friend Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Follow Me
    - Helping Hand
    - After You
    - Protect

[​IMG]
    Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

Manectric's role is to provide intimidate support and deal heavy damage to threats such as Tapu Fini, Salamence, and Metagross. I opted for a fast offensive spread to maximize it's damage since the setup on this team doesn't rely very much on intimidate.

[​IMG]
    Naganadel @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Beast Boost
    Timid Nature
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Draco Meteor
    - Tailwind
    - Protect

Naganadel is able to provide tailwind support for Kommo-o to give it the opportunity to set up clangorous soulblaze in front of otherwise threatening pokemon, most notably Mega Salamence. It is also able to KO Tapu Koko or Tapu Lele most of the time and can 2hko Tapu Fini, as well as KO Mega Salamence with Draco Meteor. I chose to go with focus sash to make sure it is almost always able to set up tailwind and get to use an attack.

[​IMG]
    Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Drain Punch
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect

I chose to go with special Kommo-o because the physical variant can be slowed down too easily by intimidate in my opinion and requires too much set up to get around that. Flamethrower is used for hitting steel types like Aegislash and Ferrothorn super effectively. Drain punch is good for other pokemon that are weak to fighting like Heatran and Snorlax and still deals good damage when Kommo-o isn't intimidated even without attack investment.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 20 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Heat Wave
    - Overheat
    - Earth Power
    - Stone Edge

I went with scarf Heatran in order to outspeed and KO common threats to Kommo-o like Mega Metagross and Tapu Koko. I liked this variant because it's able to get a lot of surprise KOs without taking damage such as Mega Metagross and Amoonguss with overheat and Charizard Y and Volcarona with stone edge. The EV spread is built to live a Landorus-T earthquake in grassy terrain 100% of the time.

[​IMG]
    Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Protect

I chose Tapu Bulu because it's a good answer to a lot of common Kommo-o threats and it covers the team's triple ground weakness with it's grassy surge ability. I elected to go with max speed and life orb in order to threaten KOs on pokemon like Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele before they're able to get a hit off on Kommo-o.

[​IMG]
    Clefairy @ Eviolite
    Ability: Friend Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Follow Me
    - Helping Hand
    - After You
    - Protect

Lastly, I chose Clefairy. Using follow me, Clefairy is able to redirect attacks away from common Kommo-o while it sets up clangorous soulblaze. Additionally, with it's base 35 speed it's able to underspeed a lot of common trick room threats and allow my other pokemon to attack first using after you. The EV spread is designed for it to live a jolly Mega Metagross iron head.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Size, chef, nerd of now and 1 other person like this.
  4. PinkSylvie

PinkSylvie Member

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Final Gambit
    - Encore
    - Acid Spray

Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Heat Wave
    - Tailwind
    - Flamethrower

Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Clanging Scales
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

Spark of Life (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Taunt
    The original concept of this team was hit hard and fast before the opponent could hit. Kommo-o was actually added to the team last, but the team generally capitalized off of it to hit mons for a ton of special spread damage. I used this team both for npa (won v chipuauVGC 2-1) and also got it to a rating of 1790 on the sd vgc18 ladder.

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Final Gambit
    - Encore
    - Acid Spray

The first mon to add, I wanted something that could be extremely fast and could exert pressure both itself or as a supporter. Accelgor hits 216 speed pre-unburden and has a maximum hp of 187. The 4 spatk was more of a dumb, since no other investment was really needed. Encore was to help support other mons on the team and encore mons such as zapdos, kangaskhan, fini into undesirable moves such as fake out or protect.

Spark of Life (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb /Electrium Z
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice] /Dazzling Gleam
    - Taunt

The second mon to add was a mon to directly support accelgor in action. Life orb or electrium Z is just a for preference thing. I didnt want to have to worry about accidentally z moving with koko if i brought kommo-o. HP ice or gleam is for either opposing lando-t or dragons. After some testing with the final team, I found hp ice to be more reliable. The evs are just standard VGC koko.

Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

At this point the team needed intimidate and a ground resist/immunity (accelgor doesnt count since it still takes up to half from a lando eq). It has speed to outspeed my own accelgor pre-unburden boost so accelgor can gambit ko mons that should be out of reach such as kangaskhan, zapdos. 76/20 bulk lets it live a modest max lele psychic in terrain. The rest was dumbed in attack. Standard moveset capitalizing on lando as a pivot and fast rs/eq mon.

Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Heat Wave
    - Tailwind /Solar Beam
    - Flamethrower /Tailwind

At this point, the team needed a mega and a ground immunity. Charizard was added for extra offense to abuse accelgor. Tailwind was added for speed control, as the team had none in the final draft, but solar beam is still an option over one of the slots. I do not remember what this ev set does aside from being max speed.

Adamant Nature
    - Protect
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off

At this point, the team was super weak to opposing scarf lando-t and trick room. Bisharp was added to pressure both of those. Sash gives bisharp some survivability, while max speed lets it outspeed most tapu fini. Iron head and knock off hit opposing cresselia and tapus for a lot of damage, and Sucker punch is for priority (which this team has none otherwise).

Modest Nature
    - Protect
    - Clanging Scales
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast / Close Combat

The last mon to add, the team needed some more answers to snorlax and some 100% accurate spread. Kommo-o was added to not only help with that, but also abuse accelgor/koko/zardy/bisharp. The set itself is 252/252, as if u hit and ko first bulk isnt needed, but a bulkier set could also be used.

Pyreon, Rohun Vangal, Broda and 6 others like this.
  5. chef

chef Member NPA 7 Champion

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beartic @ Life Orb
    Ability: Slush Rush
    Jolly Nature
    - Superpower
    - Icicle Crash
    - Stone Edge
    - Protect
    [​IMG]
    Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 140 HP / 172 SpA / 196 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Blizzard
    - Ice Shard
    - Energy Ball
    - Protect
    [​IMG]
    Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Blizzard
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sheer Cold
    [​IMG]
    Articuno @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Pressure
    Modest Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Blizzard
    - Ancient Power
    - Protect
    [​IMG]
    Sandslash-Alola @ Groundium Z
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    [​IMG]
    Kommo-o @ Roseli Berry
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 44 HP / 92 Atk / 160 SpD / 212 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Rock Tomb
    - Close Combat
    - Roar
    - Protect

This is a pretty cool team based around hail, and using slush rush to take advantage of it. You may be thinking "Wow, thats a lot of ice types, isn't that too many ice types?" No. The biggest problem with hail is everyone is trying to take it away from you with their Charizard and Tyranitar and Politoed. So, you need 2-3 hail setting options. Then, at that point you might as well go all out and add another slush rusher. Kommo-o plays an important support role on this team.

[​IMG]
    Beartic @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Superpower
    - Icicle Crash
    - Stone Edge
    - Protect

Beartic is the primary hail sweeper. With life orb, it is able to OHKO or nearly OHKO many common threats, such as Zapdos, Heatran, Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Charizard, Volcarona, Landorus, Salamence, and eviolite Gligar. Often you can pick up questionable KOs by adding an Abomasnow Ice shard (this also picks up Koko).

[​IMG]
    Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
    EVs: 140 HP / 172 SpA / 196 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Ice Shard
    - Energy Ball
    - Protect

Abomasnow is our mega and primary hail setter. Its pretty bad, but necessary because it can set hail twice. This is especially effective to counter Zard's sun after they mega evolve. Its pretty bulky I guess; it takes Lele psychics and it fires back pretty powerful blizzards. It also is one of the teams ways to deal with those pesky bulk waters.

[​IMG]
    Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Blizzard
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sheer Cold

Another hail setter, Vanilluxe is good because it can outspeed everything that isn't scarfed and hit them with big blizzards, allowing some easy double up KOs when paired with a slush rusher. Freeze dry is another way to hit those waters, and HP Fire does like 50% to ferrothorn. Also KOs AV kartana. Is that still a thing? The best part of Vanilluxe is it guarantees OHKOs 100% of the time on problems for this team like P2, Cress or Aegislash with Sheer Cold.

[​IMG]
    Articuno @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Pressure
    Modest Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Blizzard
    - Ancient Power
    - Protect

Articuno sucks. Its here to match other tailwinds and maybe hit a Charizard with Ancient Power. It has a focus sash because it sucks.

[​IMG]
    Sandslash-Alola @ Groundium Z
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

Another hail abuser. Sandslash is super important with its Groundium Z, which can almost KO Aegislash and Metagross and Heatran. Its pretty pathetic that it can't even KO Aegislash/Metagross 100% of the time but whatever. If you ask nicely for flinches Sandslash usually delivers.

[​IMG]
    Kommo-o @ Roseli Berry
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 44 HP / 92 Atk / 160 SpD / 212 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Rock Tomb
    - Close Combat
    - Roar
    - Protect

Now for the star of this team! Kommo-o isn't an Ice type, but it might as well be, because its awesome ability Overcoat means it doesn't take hail damage, giving it great synergy with this team. Most Kommo-o carry its signature Z move, but if you ask me, that set is garbage, and I already have an important Z move on Sandslash. Kommo-o works much better as a support mon, able to lower speeds and hit Charizard hard with Rock Tomb, can hit pesky steel types hard with Close Combat, and can roar away Trick Room setters if you decide you don't want to Sheer Cold them. Roseli Berry lets Kommo-o survive a fairy attack, maybe. It can sure try tho.

Thanks for reading! If you have any suggestions let me know! I think this team is pretty good, and probably deserves your vote.

Temple, JeanMarc, TTT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Size

Size Member

oh my god chef what is it with you and this team

TTT likes this.
  7. Rahxen

Rahxen New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
    Hasty Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Close Combat
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Close Combat
    - Brave Bird
    - Final Gambit

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Queenly Majesty
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Trop Kick
    - Low Kick
    - Feint
    - Knock Off

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
    Ability: Adaptability
    Jolly Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - U-turn
    - Drill Run
    - Protect

Gothitelle @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Taunt
    - Trick Room
    - Heal Pulse
    - Helping Hand

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    EVs: 148 HP / 244 Def / 116 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Return
    - Stomping Tantrum
    - Recycle
    - Belly Drum

[​IMG]
    Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
    Hasty Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Close Combat
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect

This team is based around supporting Kommo-o, by either getting rid of its threats early thanks to Staraptor / Mega-Beedrill.

I chose Close Combat over Focus Blast because not missing your Fighting-type STAB is great.
    While Drain Punch doesn't miss either, it turns out that you actually need the extra Power to get some OHKOs:

vs Heatran:
    +1 0 Atk Kommo-o Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 210-248 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +1 0 Atk Kommo-o Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 134-158 (67.6 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    vs Mega-Kangaskhan:
    +1 0 Atk Kommo-o Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 218-260 (102.8 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +1 0 Atk Kommo-o Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 138-164 (65 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I mean, sure, getting HP back is nice and all but getting these KOs and doing more damage is more important on a Pokémon that is supposed to sweep unprepared teams / teams that lost their answers to Kommo-o

[​IMG]
    Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Close Combat
    - Brave Bird
    - Final Gambit

Choice Scarf Staraptor with Final Gambit lets you get rid of some Pokémon that are answers to Kommo-o, such as: Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, opposing Kommo-o and even Mega-Salamence if they don't have more than 172 HP EVs (which isn't common at all).

Staraptor is usually led next to Tsareena (Feint + Final Gambit), Gothitelle (To try and set-up Trick Room for a Snorlax sweep) or even with a Set-up Pokémon (Kommo-o and Snorlax).

The fact that Feint from Tsareena + Final Gambit from Staraptor can't even be stopped by Fake Out will force your opponent to switch out their Kommo-o answer, so you can just U-turn into Kommo-o instead of going for Final Gambit. This is usually done in a Game 2 or Game 3 , after you went for that Feint + Final Gambit play in a prior Game.

[​IMG]
    Tsareena @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Queenly Majesty
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Trop Kick
    - Low Kick
    - Feint
    - Knock Off

Tsareena is a solid lead option most of the time thanks to its ability, Queenly Majesty, which prevents priority moves against your Pokémon (We could say that stopping Fake Out is the best thing this ability does).

Thanks to its Speed Tier, Tsareena can function pretty well in Trick Room, which lets this team have two modes: A fast mode based around winning with Kommo-o, and a Trick Room mode that relies on setting up Snorlax thanks to the support provided by Gothitelle and Tsareena.

Tsareena can 1v1 two out of the four Guardian Deities, Tapu Fini and Tapu Koko, both of which can beat Kommo-o with ease.

[​IMG]
    Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
    Ability: Adaptability
    Jolly Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - U-turn
    - Drill Run
    - Protect

We could think of Mega-Beedrill as a better Pheromosa for a Kommo-o team. It's fast, frail and hits really hard, but it picks up the OHKOs it needs to with Poison Jab, which Pheromosa doesn't do at all.

Poison Jab and U-turn are the main STABs, and Drill Run is there for coverage, although you don't click the Drill Run button that often, mainly because U-turn usually does around the same damage as 2 times effective Drill Run.

Here are the damage calcs:

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Fini: 180-216 (101.6 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Tapu Lele: 180-212 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Tapu Koko: 228-272 (129.5 - 154.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's pretty simple: Mega-Beedrill OHKOs the Tapus, the Tapus are what stop Kommo-o, therefore Mega-Beedrill is a great Kommo-o partner.

[​IMG]
    Gothitelle @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Taunt
    - Trick Room
    - Heal Pulse
    - Helping Hand

The reasoning behind using Gothitelle is that:

a) It lets me have a Trick Room option with Belly Drum Snorlax and Tsareena so that I don't always have to rely on setting up Kommo-o in order to win.

b) I can just lead Mega-Beedrill + Gothitelle and force my opponent to let me pick up Knockouts against their Tapus or just U-turn into Kommo-o if they don't lead with their Tapus.

Usually if you lead Mega-Beedrill + Gothitelle into a Fairy type you'll just Protect + Taunt the Tapu so that you guarantee that you OHKO it next turn unless they get a double protect.
    Helping Hand is there to pick up knockouts vs Tapu Fini in case Mega-Beedrill gets intimidated.

Not having Protect nor an attacking attack is kind of awkward sometimes, but I'd say that you need all four of these moves on this team. Heal Pulse is really good to support your set-up Pokémon, and Taunt really helps vs Amoonguss, which can be a bit of a problem otherwise.

[​IMG]
    Snorlax @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 148 HP / 244 Def / 116 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Return
    - Stomping Tantrum
    - Recycle
    - Belly Drum

Snorlax is the second set-up Pokémon in this team. Even though it's usually used in Trick Room next to Gothitelle and Tsareena, sending out Snorlax next to a Boosted Kommo-o let's you put even more pressure on your opponent, threatening a Belly Drum + a boosted attack from Kommo-o. This is what I really like about having two set-up Pokémon: being able to put as much pressure as possible, mainly because after you set-up a Pokémon, you're pretty much forcing your opponent to target that boosted Pokémon.

The set is pretty standard, I chose Stomping Tantrum over High Horsepower because when you are boosted you get those KOs anyways, and Stomping Tantrum can't miss, which is a big deal.

8. nerd of now

nerd of now Member

I'm a few hours late on this but it's time to vote! Please respond with the username of the person you feel most deserves to win. Should there be a tie, my vote will be the tiebreaker. Any of the people who submitted teams may also vote, but they cannot vote for themselves.

TTT
    PinkSylvie
    chef
    Rahxen

Voting closes Friday, March 2 at 11:59 EST!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Temple and PinkSylvie like this.
  9. Temple

Temple Member

chef. Kommo-o plus 5 ice types looks like a fun team

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    chef, PinkSylvie and TTT like this.
  10. Size

Size Member

I vote for PinkSylvie. Her team has already gotten her to a good spot on the Showdown ladder and doesn't have 5 Ice types.

chef, PinkSylvie and nerd of now like this.
  11. Cleffy

Cleffy Member

I vote PinkSylvie. They have the best fast pokemon options to support the Kommo-o sweep in my opinion.

Temple and PinkSylvie like this.
  12. Pyreon

Pyreon Member

I vote PinkSylvie because I've seen that team in action several times and I like how it plays in general.

PinkSylvie likes this.
  13. chef

chef Member NPA 7 Champion

this vote should not be counted because it includes slander of another competitors team

edit: /s if that wasnt clear

also I vote PinkSylvie because her team isn't a joke

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Size and PinkSylvie like this.
  14. YummyKittys

YummyKittys New Member

I vote for chef. Kommonium Z is inferior to rock tomb.

15. JediR

JediR Member

I vote for PinkSylvie because accelgor

16. Rohun Vangal

Rohun Vangal New Member

PinkSylvie because I feel it is the most proper method of using it

17. nerd of now

nerd of now Member

Congrats to PinkSylvie for winning this past week! Her team and description will be added to the Hall of Fame. As for this week, we'll be looking at a Mega that recently finished in the Top 4 of Oceania Internationals…

[​IMG]

We're looking at Mega Gyarados! This Mega hasn't been very commonly used in competitive formats, but it does make blips on people's radars from time to time. Se Jun Park won the 2014 World Championships using Mega Gyarados alongside his infamous Pachirisu, and more recently Isaac Lam finished in the Top 4 of Oceania Internationals with his own Mega Gyarados team. With a hefty 155 base Attack, Mega Gyarados can hit for lots of damage, especially after getting up a Dragon Dance. Having access to moves like its main STABs in Waterfall and Crunch and others like Ice Fang, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Iron Head, Mega Gyarados can sweep through teams if not taken care of soon enough.

Submissions will close on Wednesday, March 7 at 3:00 PM EST! Since I've been having trouble keeping up with the allotted times it'll be 9 hours earlier, so be sure to get in your teams before then!

PinkSylvie likes this.
  18. Jiveysaur

Jiveysaur New Member

Hey everyone, I don't tend to post much, but this competition has me interested. Mega Gyarados is a really cool mon to use, and for this team I decided to incorporate a few ideas I've been looking at.

Lose Yourself (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
    EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Dance
    - Protect

Gyarados is the main Pokemon in the team and the first of two Megas. It is important to note however that Mega evolution should be delayed until absolutely necessary (as you can keep spamming Intimidate). In combination with its own Intimidate and Snarl / Lightningrod support from Manectric and Will-O-Wisp / Light Screen from Mimikyu, a Gyarados setup is very easy to achieve. I went with the two STAB moves as I don't like Ice Fang and Earthquake is contradictory to Grassy Terrain from Tapu Bulu. I went with Protect as the final move because it is important to try and conserve Gyarados throughout a game. The EVs allow it to out speed Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance and have a little bit of bulk invested as well.

Style (Tapu Bulu) @ Iapapa Berry
    EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 92 Def / 60 SpD / 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Bulk Up
    - Protect

This is a standard Bulk Up Tapu Bulu, straight out of 2017. It fits the team really well, providing recovery for every member and patching some weaknesses. It also is one of the two Fairies that I can switch into a Clangorous Soulblaze if the situation comes up. Wood Hammer in Grassy Terrain is extremely strong, and Superpower can work well after a Bulk Up to provide a way of chucking Snorlax (even if it misses the KO). Bulk Up synergises well with the double Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp support, and Protect is again used to try and keep Bulu safe.

F*kDaPolice (Snorlax) @ Iapapa Berry
    EVs: 164 HP / 92 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Facade
    - High Horsepower
    - Belly Drum
    - Recycle

(Snorlax's nickname is a reference towards the Smogon DOU council's recent vote)

This Pokemon is extremely good this format, offering a powerful setup attacker that can inflict heavy damage on anything that doesn't resist it. Again the support provided by the rest of the team makes a Snorlax sweep something that can very quickly become a possibility. Facade is an interesting choice because most people will try and burn Snorlax in an attempt to neuter it, and this helps to remove that potential issue (it also makes side Will-O-Wisp a thing). High Horsepower helps against Metagross and Heatran, and Recycle provides a way to keep Snorlax around against likely Protects or just in general.

ShakeItOff (Mimikyu) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Disguise
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Trick Room
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Light Screen

This Mimikyu (and the Snorlax in fact) came from CleffyVGC, as I really liked his take on the core. Play Rough is my main way of hitting Kommo-o for heavy damage (without using Snorlax), and Will-O-Wisp fits really well with the Intimidate support from the two Megas. I chose Trick Room because it gives Snorlax a way to attack before everything else, as well as being a way to gain momentum against hyper aggressive teams, and Light Screen patches up the specially defensive side of Snorlax.

Without Me (Manectric) @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Snarl
    - Overheat
    - Protect

Manectric and Gyarados interact really well as a pair, as both of them can support the other very well. Volt Switch is used to pivot out of awkward lead matchups or for chip damage, while Overheat helps vs Amoonguss (which this this team finds slightly awkward to deal with). Snarl is used again to protect my setup mons from things like Tapu Lele and other special attackers, and Protect is used to keep Manectric around on the field.

Delicate (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
    Timid Nature
    - Overheat
    - Heat Wave
    - Flash Cannon
    - Earth Power

Scarf Heatran is the flavour pick of the team, and it is used because it can out speed both Tapu Lele and Metagross and get KOs on them. Heat Wave can chip away at targets for my other mons to KO, and Earth Power means you have an easy way of winning the Heatran mirror, while Overheat and Flash Cannon are high powered STAB attacks.

Importable:

LoseYourself (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
    EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Dance
    - Protect

Style (Tapu Bulu) @ Iapapa Berry
    EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 92 Def / 60 SpD / 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Bulk Up
    - Protect

F*kDaPolice (Snorlax) @ Iapapa Berry
    EVs: 164 HP / 92 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Facade
    - High Horsepower
    - Belly Drum
    - Recycle

ShakeItOff (Mimikyu) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Disguise
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Trick Room
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Light Screen

Without Me (Manectric) @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Snarl
    - Overheat
    - Protect

Delicate (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
    Timid Nature
    - Overheat
    - Heat Wave
    - Flash Cannon
    - Earth Power

19. nerd of now

nerd of now Member

Forgot to mention this earlier, but due to the lack of entries that came in on time, I will extend the deadline to Friday, March 9 at 9:00 pm EST. I'll extend the deadline one more time if needed, after which I'll just throw in my own Mega Gyarados team. Thanks to Jiveysaur we'll definitely have teams to vote on.

20. Rahxen

Rahxen New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 228 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Dance
    - Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 84 Def / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Flare Blitz
    - Knock Off
    - Protect

Amoonguss @ Aguav Berry
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 188 HP / 156 Def / 164 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 2 Spe
    - Protect
    - Rage Powder
    - Spore
    - Clear Smog

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
    EVs: 4 HP / 44 Atk / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Wild Charge
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Protect

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Tomb
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

I started building this team with the Fire Water Grass (FWG) core consisting of Mega Gyarados, Incineroar and Amoonguss. This gives you a decent match up vs Metagross Lele, which is the team to beat right now.
    These three didn't have a great time against Tapu Fini or Bulky Waters in general, so I added Tapu Koko as a Z-Move user.

After that I realized that the Charizard-Y match up wasn't ideal, so I decided to go for a Dual Mega with Mega Tyranitar. You're not bringing Mega Gyarados vs Charizard-Y anyways, so I decided to add Mega Tyranitar. It works the same way as it does in the Standard Metagross Lele team: does your first mega have a bad match up? If so, you have a second mega option.

[​IMG]
    Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 36 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Dance
    - Protect

The speed stat makes you 1 point faster than Adamant 252 Speed EVs Landorus-T, therefore, after 1 Dragon Dance, you're faster than Adamant Scarf Landorus-T.
    This attack stat let's you KO bulkless Tapu Lele at +1, while surviving 252 SpA Modest Moonblast from Tapu Lele.

+1 244 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 147-174 (100.6 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 20 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gyarados: 144-170 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What's more, if Incineroar usage raises (thanks to it getting Intimidate), Mega Gyarados will be even more useful. Thanks to the Intimidate support, it can set up in front of Incineroar pretty easily.

[​IMG]
    Incineroar @ Figy Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 84 Def / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Flare Blitz
    - Knock Off
    - Protect

Incineroar provides Intimidate + Fake Out support, as well as Fire-type coverage and Knock Off, which is one of the best moves in the game.
    The Fire-type coverage + Knock Off helps against Pokémon like Tapu Bulu, Amoonguss, Kartana, Porygon2 and Snorlax, all of which would be a threaten/stop Gyarados with ease.

I decided to run a Pinch berry instead of Assault Vest because I think that Incineroar really needs that extra 50% help. Mainly because you can turn some 3HKOs into 4HKOs, which is pretty good.

Defensive calcs:
    -1 252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Incineroar: 88-104 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Metagross Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Incineroar: 58-70 (28.7 - 34.6%) -- 4.6% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Metagross Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Incineroar: 90-106 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO (This calc isn't that bad considering that most Mega Metagross will be bulkier with less Attack investment as the metagame progresses)

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132 SpD Incineroar in Electric Terrain: 172-204 (85.1 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 132 SpD Incineroar: 84-100 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Scald vs. 252 HP / 132 SpD Incineroar: 170-204 (84.1 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss @ Aguav Berry
    Ability: Regenerator
    Happiness: 0
    EVs: 188 HP / 156 Def / 164 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 2 Spe
    - Protect
    - Rage Powder
    - Spore
    - Clear Smog

Amoonguss' main role is to Rage Powder Electric moves away from Gyarados, so that Gyarados can set up in front of Zapdos and Tapu Koko.

I chose Amoonguss over a Lightning Rod user mainly because Amoonguss can act as a Trick Room answer too. Trick Room can be a problem because my team lacks any form of speed control outside of Dragon Dance on both Mega Pokémon.

Clear Smog helps against Calm Mind Tapu Fini, so that it can't get to +2 or +3 in front of my Pokémon.

The 2 Speed IVs are there to speed creep minimum speed Snorlax. Mainly because that Speedtie vs Snorlax can be a bit awkward. You don't want to be in that situation, trust me.

[​IMG]
    Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
    EVs: 4 HP / 44 Atk / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Wild Charge
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Protect

Shoutouts to Jamie Boy (@JamieBoytVGC) for this EV Spread. This set is amazing. Not only you can OHKO bulkless Tapu Lele outside of Electric Terrain, but you can even OHKO +1 (and even +6) Tapu Fini outside of Electric Terrain. This set fits perfectly in here. It's another way to get rid of Tapu Fini, so there's no reason not to use it.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Dragon Dance

This is a standard Mega Tyranitar set. I decided to use Dragon Dance instead of Low kick / Superpower because if you manage to get 1 DD vs Charizard-Y teams (especially the ones without Kartana) you pretty much win from there.

You can see that my Tyranitar is Adamant instead of Jolly. Jolly nature let's you outspeed Tapu Koko, but that's about it. Tapu Koko can't do much damage back, and the extra damage that Adamant gives you is nice.
    Not being Jolly also lets regular from Tyranitar be slower than Max Speed Pelipper, which is pretty cool.

As I said earlier, Tyranitar is here mainly to cover some difficult match-ups like Rain and Sun, where Gyarados can't really do much.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Tomb
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

Landorus-T helps vs Sun and Sand teams, and it also provides Intimidate support + positioning thanks to U-turn.
    Rock Tomb let's you make some great plays sometimes. For example, you can Rock Tomb your own Amoonguss so that it's slower than some Trick Room sweepers (aka outspeeds them in Trick Room), even Mega-Camerupt. That way you can spam Spore freely and stall out Trick Room with ease.

Defensive calcs:

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 0 HP / 188 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T in Sun: 138-163 (84.1 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO