VGC'18 national dex team building theorizing

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ArchangelJuicy, Aug 14, 2017.

1. ArchangelJuicy

ArchangelJuicy New Member

hey guys i'm trying to sample build a team for the upcoming VGC'18(rules unknown) and just going off previous years. so far i want to build a team and test it on the battle spot doubles ladder to somewhat get a feel for national dex teams. i'm having trouble for a mega to fit these 2 mons that I have so far. i'm thinking either zardx, mega blastoise or mega venusaur. my reasoning would be that zard x gives me resistance to ice that lando-t hates and fires that ferrothorn hates. But that would make the team so far all physical and would hate intimidate from the likes of lando-t or salamence. blastoise is here to do the w/f/g core and with him would give me FO support that the team likes and resists both weaknesses the other 2 members have. Venusaur is here for that thick fat ability tto heavily resist lando and ferrothorn weakness, but already have a grass type though in ferrothorn. What do you think would be the best mega to complement them or one I didn't choose.

edit: I have made a team and edited it quite a bit through play testing.

[email protected] helmet
    nature:relaxed/sassy
    ability:iron barbs
    evs:???
    moves:
    • gyro ball
    • power whip
    • leech seed
    • protect

[email protected] vest
    nature:adamant
    ability:intimidate
    evs:156hp/148att/4def/108sp def/96 speed(old vgc'15 spread)
    moves:
    • eq
    • rock slide
    • u-turn
    • knock off

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
    Ability: Misty Surge
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    • Muddy Water
    • Moonblast
    • Calm Mind
    • Protect

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    • Heat Wave
    • Solar Beam
    • Hidden Power [Ground]
    • Protect

Latios @ Dragonium Z
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    • Draco Meteor
    • Psychic
    • Protect
    • Tailwind

Shiftry @ Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    • Fake Out
    • Dark Pulse
    • Energy Ball
    • Protect

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. ArchangelJuicy

3. Jhoqk

Jhoqk New Member

Wait for the rules before team building. No point in it. Additionally minor legendaries (Landorus-T and Latios for this team) might not be obtainable in the new game, and assuming they will enforce the SM on only rule, they won't be legal. Wait for the rules to be announced before team building. No one can give feedback on a team for a rule set that doesn't exist

4. Nazara

Nazara Member

Eh, I agree that's it's too early to start planning for what ultimately is yet and undisclosed format, but knowing my share bit of Gen 7 BSD I can confidently say that both Shifty and Latios are utterly crap. Also, you probably want a way to hit Cresselia for super effective damage, your team loses hard to Trick Room.

ArchangelJuicy likes this.
  5. Qwello Lee

Qwello Lee New Member

I will treat your team as a S/M BSD one, since that seems to be your assumption for VGC 18. Adding to what Nazara already said I have a few changes to suggest: I'd replace both shiftry and ferrothorn with venusaur and aegislah. The former is a better sun abuser and, even though it lacks fake out, it can still shut down opponents with a fast sleep powder provided sun is up, the latter OHKOs cresselia with its z-move while also checking fairies and providing wide guard support or priority, depending on what set you want to go with. I'm also questionig the sinergy between charizard and tapu fini, since muddy water gets weakened by the harsh sunlight.

6. ArchangelJuicy

Thought about aegislash,but wanted ferrothorn for it hits all the tapus good and resists them all. ya,shiftry is a meh user but liked the fast fake out option. as for fini charizard,I originally had greninja in the spot and after testing a bit wanted more bulk aand fini still wirks with the fantasy core. As for aegi having the z crystal, I would have to switch items on latios,but as the previous st mentions that he us bad. So who should replace him and helpna bit better in tr matchup