What are VGC Players Looking for in PC and MSS events?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by homeofmew, Jul 21, 2018.

1. homeofmew

homeofmew New Member

Hi, My Name is Tina I live in Houston, Texas.
    My player base originally started out pretty large 20-30 people, this number grew to a point of 50 people even a 74 person MSS. Now I am having issues getting 8 people show up to a PC. Even Midseason numbers are suffering.

What can a TO do to get more people to an event?
    I Origanally Started running VG events because no one else in my area did it, and I wanted VG players who have a shot of making worlds. There was one story that won me over of a player who was 15 points shy of making worlds but had to drive 3 or 4 hours even to get to a PC. I run events for the players not myself, as many of you may know I am highly involved with the TCG Side, however I do enjoy the VG community a lot, I have met a lot of great people.

Thanks Tina.
    [email protected]
    facebook.com/homeofmew
    twitter: @homeofmew

2. TR_Jessie

TR_Jessie New Member

Hey, Tina. It's Brianna from the DFW area. I can personally relate to that 3-4 hour drive just for a PC thing. Ever since Paul moved, there are absolutely zero PCs here at all, which means my closest PC is either with you or in Oklahoma, which are both 4.5 hour drives. Not worth it for a chance at 15 (or is it 20 now?) measly points.
    We also used to get a crazy amount of players in attendance, and for PCs, no less (back when we had PCs). I remember the numbers consistently being in the 50+ range, but then the dwindled, too.

I don't think the problem of low attendance is necessarily something you're doing wrong. The whole circuit is a money game now. Who has the most free time and money? Who is dedicated enough to drive 4.5 hours each way for a shot at 15 CP? Or to travel to a whole other continent just for a game?

In general, I say the lowest entry fee posssible is a great way to get players to play. I don't CARE about prizes if the event is free or incredibly cheap. $5 entry fee for an MSS? Cool. I don't need prizes. I just want to play. Free PC? Awesome. $10 regional? I'd enter that even if the only team I had was a fun, gimmicky one. :)

On a more personal note, since I DO live in Texas, I would go to your events if you met in the middle somewhere. Somewhere between Houston and DFW, like in Waco. Now, that's a LOT to ask of you, and you're not obligated at all to have to travel to do something so kind for us, but I figured I'd throw that out there since this marketed to me as a post geared towards Texas players.

3. homeofmew

homeofmew New Member

I Ran a Free PC in June and still very few people showed up.
    Cheap Midseasons are really hard to pull off, I personally can't see mine ever getting less than $10.
    And that's just because of venue cost. I could do a cheaper midseason if plopedit at my normal league location.
    Free PCs are also really hard to pull off, the reason I do one a year is to thank the community for their ongoing support, but overall we are given no support to run events. paper, ink, everything just costs money. ALL of my PCs are $5, with a Plush.

4. TR_Jessie

TR_Jessie New Member

I totally sympathize on entry fees since, like you said, everything costs money. In a perfect world, entry fees would be cheaper/nonexistent, but, understandably, that can't ever be the case.

I appreciate that you go the extra mile to have small prizes for players (like the plush you mentioned), and I appreciate all the work you do for the community. I really don't think anything you're doing is what's causing numbers to dwindle. This is likely an issue caused by the circuit in general.

I just keep chanting, "Lower fees. Fewer prizes." But TPCi will never hear me.

5. homeofmew

homeofmew New Member

Im sure the Houston people remember when my computer bricked during midseason and we had to get the file off the cloud drive, and redo a round because it was from 2 rounds before. I bought a new computer after that. Sure I use it for personal use as well, but that all is stuff that goes to all of my events. I've looked at the other MSS around the US and 10-15 seems to be the lowest point. And it's not like Houston gets a TON of prizes either.

6. Vratt

Vratt New Member

I'm parent that has had kids playing in VGC Masters, Seniors and Juniors for almost the last 10 years from the St. Louis area. Like Brianna we now must drive 3-4 hours to attend a PC or Midseason. While we have a yearly regional here the store that runs the regional hasn't hosted a VGC PC in nearly 2 years. I know this fact has caused some of our local players to stop playing or move to playing TCG which has lots of local events. Personally, my youngest child didn't qualify for worlds this year as we were unable to drive the 3-4 hours to attend the PC’s or Midseason’s needed for him to get the CP this year. Due to this, he is losing interest in playing VGC and as a parent I’m pondering continuing next year as it doesn't look like we can do the 3-4 hours drives again. (leaning heavily on the side of not continuing)

I know of senior and junior players nationally that have moved from VGC to TCG this year after playing years in VGC. I've asked the parents why and they tell me various reasons from better prizes than VGC, more events, takes less time to prepare, and its easier than VGC (I know this one is debatable).

A couple other long-time players that have quit VGC this year due to its cost increases for attending and travel. I agree with Brianna it is a money game now. I didn't always mind some travel every year as I knew we'd get some of it back with the nationals stipend payouts, but those are gone now

Finally, I know of a few more long time players that have quit VGC due to the unfairness of the internationals and the snowballing of the CP and no way to catch up after the first internationals.

Tina, I agree with Brianna the low attendance is not due with anything you are doing wrong but I believe is a problem with TPCi. The problems all can be resolved by them but they don't seem to want to and like Brianna I have complained to TPCi but they don't want to hear me.

Tina, I do have questions for you. How you introduce new players to VGC that are interested? Have you seen many new players this year compared to other years? After they play in an event are the new players returning? Does it matter what age division they are in?

Thank you for continuing to host events and caring. I would love to see the VGC community grow back to like it was 3 or 4 years ago, it was a great time back then.